USA goalkeeper discussion thread - Episode IV: A New Hope

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jul 9, 2023.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Puskamp is still only 23 and goalie is a later developing position. Freese for instance is having his breakout season at 25.

For January camp my top 3 right now would be Celentano, Schulte, and Freese (with Brady for Schulte if he ends up moving abroad).

xbhaskarx and SoccerFanInIA repped this.
  2. SoccerFanInIA

SoccerFanInIA Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 28, 2021
    Pulskamp and Dos Santos are same age so will holdout on judgement for both. Difference is Pulskamp is getting opportunities whereas Dos Santos needs to find some regular appearances probably in MLS not in USL necessarily, but would take either at this point.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's really hurtful to see Steffan ranked so lowly.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, that's fine. It finally gives a hope that good young keepers will be called eventually.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just hasn’t been very good unfortunately since he came back to MLS.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other one to keep an eye out for is Gavin Beavers. He hasn’t played enough to qualify for the chart, but his .71 per 90 would be first by a good margin (but I imagine it would come down if he played more minutes). I think he’s going to claim the starting job from MacMath soon.

SoccerFanInIA repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't have to "give up" on any 23 year old goalkeeper, you can just not waste any time thinking about them until they actually do something to justify it.

largegarlic and gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would add Kochen to your list of U23s.
    If he fully commits (and all signs point to that), he's starting over Beavers with our U20s this cycle (if Barca releases him).
    We haven't seen enough of him against adult professionals, but we're getting there. He's literally made benches for Barcelona.
    Maybe next season. Once we do, he's one that might ZOOM up our depth chart to a greater degree.

We'll see. He could also disappear as so many of our prospects in Spanish academies and reserve teams do.

Eyestone (presumably at Brentford at the moment) is a totally question mark still. As well as a host of others coming up the ranks. At the moment he's probably the 3rd guy on our U20s.

I'm with you. Other than those on your list. I don't see any other MLS starters getting a look. And I doubt Stuver will.
    A 33 year old as far down the depth chart as he is.

We tend to give the core guys the caps and then the "up and comers" the B team and fringe caps.
    Even the guys about to enter mid-career like Callendar and Freese might be "frozen" out on the margins. All it would take is one guy like Slonina really establishing himself.

9. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been watching most every game so far in Euros 2024 and have noticed something interesting. Now its a small sample size so maybe that's all it is but I have seen a lot more old style just launch it down the field by keepers, especially on goal kicks, than playing it out of the back so much. Been saying since day one with Turner. He's not that good with his feet so I think we are trying to play it out of the back and especially trying to do too much with goal kicks to a fault. He has a pretty big leg. Just turn it loose. Not suggesting he play boot it ball but I think at least with goal kicks, if the team is pressing at all then just launch it.

largegarlic repped this.
  10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with a Freese or Callender they are both fairly young as far as goalies are concerned so I would give them opportunities if they show they deserve it with their play. And partly because no one is really standing out in the goalkeeping pool at current.

Stuver is someone who for a long time has probably deserved a call up but for his age.

It feels like we’re a few years way from the goalkeeping pool being pretty solid, even though it isn’t currently. There’s enough up and coming prospects you can feel confident at least some of them will hit. We could end up in a situation for instance where Turner is the starter all the way up to the World Cup where he’s supplanted by a late surge from Slonina.

I’m a huge Matt Turner fan, but he sort of just feels like a placeholder for now as we wait for guys to develop and emerge. Unless he turns things around with his club career and then we can have a different conversation.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Goalkeeper is just a different beast with regards to callups and caps.

Tuner has started all but 3 games over the past calendar year. Johnson got the throwaway St. Kitts & Nevis game at the 2023 Gold Cup (which is one week from aging out of the "past calendar year" category). Horvath got the Oman friendly. Schulte got the January camp game.

So all of these guys like Callendar, Celentano, etc. have no caps over the past year. Hell, Slonina has no caps over the last year.

You're not "expanding the pool" to go to a guy like Stuver. Ever. Not just the USMNT. That's not what other nations do at the keeper position either.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh nice. I wondered why he was hanging around the FC Dallas game. So guess he knew he would be cannon fodder and help. I got to talk him for a few minutes. Nice kid. Big in person. really likes Luccin. I'd like to see him be the main backup next year and prepare to be the #1 if Paes gets an offer (which seems likely as he's standing on his head lately).

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its a tough one for a keeper in his early 20s that really wants to develop as a starter.

Paes is without question Dallas' player of the season. If he was on a better team he'd be in competition for Keeper of the Year. I believe that. The metrics (as posted on the previous page) say it, and the eyeballs do even more.

So does Carrera stay in Dallas as #2 hoping that Paes will be sold? Or work will Dallas to try to get a move elsewhere for playing time? Tough one. They loaned him out to Carolina for the first part of this season, but then recalled him.

I really do wonder where Carrera would sit in our U23 depth chart if we got to see him week-in and week-out.

15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s one of the alternates for the U23s since it’ll probably be easier to get him released compared to Brady.

I do like Carrera as a prospect but it’s just tough to break through as a goalie, especially when you’re behind a good one already. You saw this with Matt Freese who had his way blocked by Andre Blake and has to go to NYCFC to finally breakout.

The good thing though is goalie is just a later developing position where players tend to peak later and also are able to play till they’re older.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think being #2 and getting Open Cup games or NL games would be moving up a notch for at least one year. I'm intrigued by him because of all of our you prospects (that I've seen play) he has the best feet and passes.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So where is Slonina heading next?
    How secure is Horvath at Cardiff?
    Why of all keepers who could have been named no.3 was Johnson called up for the Copa?

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No real chatter on Slonina but good chance it’s Strausburg (who are also owned by Chelsea).

Horvath seems secure in his position as far as I can tell but we’ll see.

I’m assuming Johnson’s presence has a lot to do with Berhalter wanting a good locker room guy to have around who is comfortable knowing he won’t play during a period when the team is going to be together for a month or longer. And you also had Slonina and Schulte with the Olympic team.

Other MLS teams may have pushed back at the idea of having their goalie gone for so long and we needed their cooperation more than we need Toronto’s in terms of releases for U20 Qualifiers and the Olympics.

Not taking Callander probably helps with getting Cremaschi released and not taking Celentano probably helps with getting Miles Robinson released for the Olympics. Whereas we have less of a reason to play nice with Toronto.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gaga lands at stratsbourg, route 1 to the starting lineup is his

20. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article in NYT today about taking advantage of the long-ball in the Euros. Doesn’t have to be the goalie, and has been used in kick-off as a shock to the opponent.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #846 OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    Would be drop dead hilarious to see the long ball become fashionable again

Man U be calling David moyes again. Tony pulis be palming his hands in excitement

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not coming at you specifically, but "the long ball", or everything that isnt short passing out of the back is crazy oversimplified.

and its ironic, because one area turner has improved since his initial move abroad is playing "long" diagonals to the sides, usually just below the halfway line. with our attacking fbs, wings that dont play especially high and cms who spread in the buildup thats been a very viable, high percentage way to play out of the back that isnt "playing out of the back".

that weve completely ignored. so yeah, hopefully pep and klopp hop on board- maybe gregg would notice then.

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    15-20 years ago if anyone told me that the USA had goalkeeping as a weakness I would have thought them crazy. Or, to put it another way. "They are a few fries short of a happy meal."
    However, now, while our goalkeeping pretty far from "horrible" it is defiantly a weakness instead of the strength it should be. Turner is the starter, unless anybody at USA soccer saw something I did not, but having him start is risky. You never know which Turnerwill play any given match.

There is no quick fix and there are there no USA 'keepers just waiting in the wings that is clearly a better choice.

I really wish goalkeepers could be cloned as we have just lost our direction in GK training and starting with known good genes would at least give us a start in the correct direction.

Also, as I have said before, "Goalkeepers are better off in the MLS stables as MLS play, for goalkeeping is quite good as any 'keeper that plays will face a truly great number of shots and many/most of those shots will do something strange because the shooters are "almost" good and, therefore, can often hit the goal but exactly where on goal the shot will go is problematic.
    But the biggest advantage MLS has is poor defenders. That often gets MLS 'keepers a lot of work the do not get in Europe.

I understand there are several, OK two at least, 'keepers playing in MLS that "might" be our best however I doubt that they will be given serious looks as MLS dose NOT produce good field players so even the coaches think that all MLS players are below normal. That is, mostly, true for field players but all leagues, even lower level leagues, like USL need to be watched for 'keepers.
    I would think that the USA is cutting their own throat by excluding "lesser" leagues from their goalkeeping search.

I know that many/most people say that all leagues are watched and are considered "equal" but, in goalkeeping searches it seems that some leagues are more equal than others.

LouisianaViking07/09 and sandcastle repped this.
  25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turner's throws out of the backfield are obscene. Very few other goalkeepers have that game to them. He sees a run, he throws it up field, counter attack ensues.