USA Film Festival (NSR)

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by TrickHog, Apr 12, 2006.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey FC Dallas supporters,

Just wanted to let you know that my debut feature film will be playing at the USA Film Festival in Dallas, Texas on Thursday, May 4th at 7 pm at the AMC NorthPark 15 at NorthPark Center on North Central Expressway in Dallas.

While the story isn't about soccer (it's kind of a quirky coming-of-age tale), the main character's best friend is the comic relief in the movie and has a fierce passion for a certain sport that we all hold close to our heart...

The USA Film Fest website is:
    http://www.usafilmfestival.com/

They don't have the festival listing up yet, but it should be there soon.

This is my first trip to Dallas and I'm excited to see the city. One of the stars of the movie is from Dallas so we're really looking forward to our visit. The first thing I did, of course, was check the FC Dallas schedule b/c I'd love to see PHP, but unfortunately your team is away that week.

If you want to know more about the movie, you can check out the website in my sig.

And if any of you make it to the screening, make sure to say "hi".

Thanks,
    TrickHog

P.S. Any recommendations on where to catch all of the games on Saturday, April 29th? Especially the FC Dallas and Galaxy games?

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, before someone complains about spam, TrickHog got the OK from at least one of the mods for this post.

3. thefuture

thefuture New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    North Carolina
    I didn't know this theatre would be open by then.

Looks like this is the first event it'll host. Pretty cool!

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what a kind, generous, intelligent mod he is....

Thanks.

:)

5. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I'm heading out to Dallas on Friday. As a first time visitor, are there any "can't miss" places I should see or visit? And what's the weather like for the next week?

And if any of you make it out to see the film, please make sure to say "hi"...

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should he need to get permission?

Anyone familiar with TrickHog knows he's one of the more mature and responsible posters on BigSoccer.

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you the director & writer, Patrick Hogan?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425359/

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What type of things are you interested in?

Art?
    History?
    Yuppie/trendy places to hang out?

And how long will you be in Dallas? Will you be renting a car (I hope)?

9. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    [sarcasm]No, he'll be taking full advantage of the wonderful and extensive regional mass-transit system we have. Or, since everything is so close to everything else, he could just walk from place to place.[/sarcasm]

Sorry - couldn't resist. :D

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it is possible that he's staying by the Film Festival (isn't it near SMU?), and plans to take a cab or a shuttle van to his hotel.

11. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    Quit being reasonable.

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I need to race over to the rivalries board to get some "street cred" and stop being so mature and responsible...

I think I'm staying someone near the film festival, which is in the NorthPark Center (Mall?) at the new AMC NorthPark Theater. I'm suppose to find out about hotels today. As of now, I'm not planning on renting a car b/c the festival has volunteers that drive us around to the events, etc.

Dallas public transportation can't be worse than LA, can it? I guess I'll rent a car on a day by day basis if needed. I'll be in Dallas from this Friday 'til next Friday.

As far as things to do I guess I'm interested in places to go during the day when the festival isn't running, anything "quintessential" Dallas, since this is my first trip to Texas.

Of course, I also need to find a bar on Saturday that has ESPN2 to I can watch Sampson lead our team to defeat in Salt Lake and then watch the Dallas game as a temporary fan :)

I was very bummed to find out that FC D is playing away that weekend as I would have loved to check out another SSS.

And yes, that is me and my film on imdb.

Thanks.

13. elcachudo

elcachudo New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    "pescadito productions" shut up... shut up, u got me at "pesacadito productions"

14. DStebbins

DStebbins New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Go to Trinity Hall at Mockingbird Station to watch the game, it's not far from Northpark, and if you happen to stay at the Radisson on Central, you could practically walk.

Not quintessential, but will work. other good places may present transportation problems for you.

Congrats on the movie showing.

15. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Do you know who the publicist is around here? I review movies. I might go, if it's free, of course. Of course, if there's a mother dying of cancer plotline, you may not like my opinion.

16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you lucked out a bit, Trick Hog, as that part of Dallas is one of the few areas in DFW where you won't miss a having a car too badly.

If there's hotel availability, try staying near Mockingbird & Central Expressway (U.S. 75). This is a hip, nightspot type of place. And there's light rail transit to downtown Dallas in case you want to check out a few sights.

Sights to see in downtown Dallas:

1) 6th floor museum -- our #1 tourist attraction. An excellent (and moving) museum on the life and death of JFK

2) Nasher sculpture garden -- a world-class museum of sculpture. I'm not much of a sculpture fan myself. But this museum has one of the best art collections in the U.S., IMHO.

3) Dallas World Aquarium -- a little pricey, but very well done with lots of exotic fish from around the world

17. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come see PHP depite the lack of a game this weekend. Hopefully the WP will be there Sat nite!

18. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Nasher sculpture garden may be the only place in Dallas that might be close to being labeled a 'can't miss". Check that out, do your film thing, maybe grab a quick bite at Cafe Brazil or someplace in Mockingbird station and just chill. Go for a stroll at SMU if you need to get out.

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will print this out and take it with me.

20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PM me if you want the festival publicist info. etc.

And although the main character's mother is dying of cancer and the movie deals with that, that's not what the movie's really about, so you might like it.

Unless you have an unrational hatred of people dying of cancer in which case you might not...

:)

21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm off in the morning to screen POPE DREAMS in Newport Beach then flying directly from there to Dallas for the USA Film Festival.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice.

If any of you make it to the screening make sure to say "hi".

22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice. I went to Trinity Hall and the guys were nice enough to put the Galaxy-RSL match on the projection screen for me.

Got to have a couple Guinness's and watch the game.

Excellent place. Thanks for passing on the info.

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, had a great time in Dallas. Ya'll (did I get that right?) are the friendliest people. I'm screening POPE DREAMS tonight and then flying out in the morning. But with all the new friends I've made I hope to come back for MLS Cup to have more good times.

BTW - Dickey's BBQ off the I75 just south of SMU totally rules...

24. Fougs

Fougs Member

May 26, 2004
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got the y'all almost right, but calling it THE I75 gives away your socal self. Here they usually just call it 75. I went to school in LA, so glad you made it out here and liked it- it's a pretty cool place.

25. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, TrickHog.

Didn't realize you hadn't screened "Pope Dreams" in Dallas yet. I'll try to catch it tonight if I can make it down to Dallas.

Seems like you've gotten pretty good reviews from the Newport Beach crowd:

http://blogs.ocregister.com/nbfilmfest/

and

http://www.squeezeoc.com/squeezeoc/goingout/arttheater/article_1117686.php