USA-England

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Adam Zebrowski, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Darn it, it's the chicks.

I was excited there for a second.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Doing a NATS+WUSA doubleheader seems like a good event.

On May 17. Carolina at DC, San Jose at Atlanta, Phialdelphia at New York.

Carolina at DC with USA-England should draw 30,000+, and since USSF like RFK so much.

Atlanta could be in the mix, and if the Meadowlands is available.

4. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: USA-England

fifa.com lists the game being played in England, but they must be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time).

5. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
  6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Thanks for the info tiej.

Has this person even seen the attendance numbers for the USWNT the past couple of years?

7. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    What kind of numbers did they draw for the last men's team friendly?

8. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I think they drew in the 20-25K range for the two men's friendlies I know of there (Tunisia 98, Ecuador 02), pretty respectable crowds. I suspect the women will draw better than they have been lately simply because Birmingham is fresh ground for them and the area has supported the men and Olympics well in the past. I can't see it being more than 20K though.

RFK was never in the running - already a Freedom-United doubleheader that day.

9. ERIMUS

ERIMUS Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Teesside
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope English tv shows this game but i cant see it :(

10. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    More News From BIRMINGHAM POST-HERALD

Inside Legion Field, a faded saying is splayed across the bottom edge of the upper deck.
    It reads: "Welcome to the Football Capital of the South."
    (scroll in the middle of article)
    http://www.postherald.com/sp022103.shtml

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm from Birmingham and have been to every internationl game here ever:

-We had 11 during the '96 Olympics (awesome attendance the USA-Argentina match sold out...and the Tunisia Olympic match had over 40,000),

-2 men's team friendlies (both over 20,000...better than other, bigger cities for friendlies against teams that aren't marquee teams...tunisia & ecuador)

-I can't remember if it was '99 or 2000, but they had a U-17 team tournament here with USA, Mexico, Jamaica, Morocco. Some of those matches drew over 5,000.

I'm just glad USSF keeps picking us for matches.

If anybody is coming to the match, I will be glad to meet up with you or offer advice on where to stay, where to eat, what to do, etc.

12. ERIMUS

ERIMUS Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Teesside
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess if its not on tv here i can always follow it on matchtracker

13. Was telling a friend earlier that I am coming home to Birmingham for the May 17th game and she reminded me that it is the same weekend as the annual music festival, City Stages. Should make Malfunction Junction more fun than usual. :D

http://www.citystages.org/

I wonder if this will have any effect at all on attendance -- good or bad. Of course, it may have more of an effect if they actually start booking and announcing acts.

14. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I'm surprised not many people haven't mentioned this but the USWNT will play Ireland's national team on April 26th. Should be an interesting match and it will be on ESPN 2.

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Whew.

For a second there I thought the USWNT was gonna play Iceland AGAIN on 4/23 like originally rumored.

Good to see that this is a Wednesday night game. The 4/23 game fell on a Saturday and would've definately hurt some WUSA squads. Now they could probably meet up in a mini camp for Monday and Tuesday and then fly back to their respective teams Thursday morning.

16. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I'm from B'ham as well and I'm glad to see the women coming(though I'll take the men over the women anytime). I just want one thing out of this match...........Heather Mitts

[​IMG]

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City Stages has been in a downward spiral since about '98 or '99. Attendance has sucked the last couple of years as have most of the acts (of course, I'm sure the second is causual of the first...but I digress.)

I don't think their will be too much crossover there, or at least not enought to adversely affect it.

18. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    hmmm...i might have to visit pvan4 and nico down in b'ham for this match if heather is on the squad, of course i would take lindsay tarpley <see avator> as well!

19. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    I too am from B'ham and am look foward to the game. Dont know if I will make it or not yet. I dont know what this game will do for soccer in Alabama. It may reenforce the idea that soccer is for girls and men play the other football. Hopefully B'ham will show up and we'll get a WCQ next year. It was nice to here one of the players went to Briarwood, local girl makes good.

PS-Has Finebaum said anything about this yet or should we really care?

20. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  22. Karma Killer

Karma Killer New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    They wouldn't show this in England. At least not when a couple of hundred people turn up when the woman national team of England play in England. Should improve if they can make it less a male only sport in the UK school system.

23. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    I was wondering about the six hours or so a day he's on the radio. I dont get to hear him everyday.