USA England, Wembley Stadium, May 28 2008

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Galaxian, Mar 20, 2008.

1. FCDallasAddie

FCDallasAddie Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother and I are definitely in! Although we could use a little help finding agood deal on air fare and hotel....

2. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure, I would say take a look (and keep an eye on) http://fifa.com/worldfootball/results/male.html#

3. hollistonrevsfan

Oct 13, 2002
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, actually. Ireland-Columbia plays the next day at Fulham: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/home.aspx

As far as the playoff tickets go, I don't think they go on sale until the final is determined, and I'm pretty sure you get them from the teams. Not sure if those games will sell out though.

4. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I found a good fare on Air Canada from Boston. You have to connect through a Canadian city, but fares are around $500 from Boston. You can use Orbitz to search for fares, thats how I found it.

Hotels can be a pain. Try Tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com or Kayak http://www.kayak.com for hotels. I found a good rate at the Crestfield Hotel http://www.crestfieldhotel.co.uk/ for around $110 a night. It got good reviews on Tripadvisor.

5. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Myself and a few others will be staying at the Howard Winchester Hotel in London , for 120 a night. It's a nice little hotel that is .1 miles from the King's Cross Station, so it is very central.

We are gonna look into a promotion final, cause that would have a fun match to go see.

For those living in London, and are familiar with the Wembley Park area : Can you do a little research on finding a pub that could host US fans on game day? It would be awesome to have a get together similar to Kaiserslautern and nurnberg during the World Cup.

6. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    I just booked my flights. Arriving day of the match and sticking around for the Ireland-Colombia match on the 29th.

Anyone else plan on hitting the Ireland match?

7. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm still trying to put my trip together. probably can't take 2 weeks off work to hit usa v spain also, but i make it to england, then ireland v. columbia sounds good. looks like there is a jamaica v argentina in london on 5/31 too.

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had known about the ireland colombia game before I booked my flights, cause we are leaving the day after the england match.

Anyone know if Yanks-abroad will help put together a meeting spot before the match ?

9. jorge805

jorge805 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Vegas
    Long time listener, first time caller.

My brother and I are in for the game for sure. My Skymiles account is damn close to zero now, but it's worth it.

Working on a hostel...this place ain't cheap.

We'll stay tuned for plans as far as an official pre/post party spot. Apparently there aren't a lot of good pubs in the vicinity, so people recommend you pick a place in Camden, a few stops from the Wembley station. However, the place below got good reviews--albeit for pointy-type football tailgate--and is probably worth a look, since it's only 300-yds from Wembley:
    http://www.camcomsolutions.com/_hosted/greenhcouk/

10. usagunner12

usagunner12 New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Norman, OK
    Anyone know what the area around Wembley is like? I mean is it safe, in a neighborhood, just off a highway, etc. Also, for those of you who have been to international matches outside the US, what differences should we expect in regards to actually attending the match?

11. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from everything I have seen and heard , Wembley is well situated by the tube, which is the easiest way to get there, but getting on the tube after the game will be crazy. It might be best for us just to find a place to hang around for an hour or so before getting on the train.

As for the match, it will be a lot more organized with security at the stadium than lets say, Reliant Stadium here in the US. All of the US fans will be together in the corner, with security surrounding our section.

Chase

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Alabama and likely would fly out of Atlanta. We should talk.

13. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Nice little markup the USSF has on those England tickets. I'll just buy a ticket in general seating for that kind of dough.

14. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you get an email or something? website still doesn't have anything up regarding tickets as far as i can tell.

15. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neither have i ? ?

Edit- Just talked to the events coordinator at US soccer. USSF has received 3,000 tickets, lower endlines, and they are all together. Tickets will be 115 dollars a piece, which may seem steep, but after checking Wembley Prices for England fans, that is about average.

An email will go out tonight for USsoccerfan.com members, and the sale begins immediately, then the general sale email goes out thursday, starts friday morning.

Lets fill our 3,000.

Chase-SCB

16. Toon16

Toon16 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the e-mail, but when I can't log in to go get tickets for some reason. Anyone else having this problem?

17. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that is insane. But that obviously has much more to do with the horrible exchange rate between the countries than anything.

18. cisco39

cisco39 Member

May 27, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Got my two. See you all there!

19. usagunner12

usagunner12 New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Norman, OK
    Just got mine too, $130 is about twice what I figured it'd cost, probably should have thought about that exchange rate first though! This doesn't help when trying to keep costs down, but it's a once in a lifetime type of experience, so oh well. Looks like I'll be eating Ramen for a while.

20. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same here, but it will be worth it :)

21. Jimmy+10

Jimmy+10 New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Hi all. I guess I signed up late at ussoccerfan.com (just did it today) and didn't get an email. Does anyone know if the USSF tickets on sale now are in the same section as the Sam's Army tickets on sale between now and Thursday? Bought my plane ticket today and am very excited. But also nervous about tickets.

22. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone have any idea if this game will sell out? i get the feeling this game is much bigger to us than it is to them. 90,000 seat stadium and all, who knows, even if the ussf section sells out, people probably have a good chance of getting "normal" tix. (just don't get them in the england section...)

23. Fussballman 7

Fussballman 7 Member

Oct 29, 2000
    Dresden, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in plus two friends, lets try and set up a place to meet before the game. The atmosphere in Gelsenkirchen before the Czech game was unbelievable. See you in London.

24. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being only the second game under Capello at Wembley, it will be very close to a sell out, over 80,000 easy.

About buying tickets in another section : I was reading the Wembley Stadium guidelines, and it is forbidden to wear the jersey or colors of the opposing team if you are not in the away section, they said you will be promptly kicked out.

The atmosphere in the US section will be awesome, it will be world cup -like .

Jimmy+10 - the tickets on sale by USSF from now until thursday are just the same as the ones going on sale friday morning, they are just putting them out there right now so that registered ussoccerfan.com members have the first chance to get them.

Chase

25. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? i think i read something like that at the england FA website, which makes sense since they deal only with the england fan section, and wearing the opposing teams colors in the england section might lead to some... unpleasantness.

i now see the wembley site goes to the england FA site for tix. does this mean that any section not in the away section is officially an england section?