USA @ Cuba - Oct 7 - Havana

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Aug 19, 2016.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    first of 2 friendly in Hex prep. Ticket info shortly.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    DO NOT MISS OUT on joining your AO Family in Cuba.
    DEADLINE to sign up is Friday, September 9, 2016
    PACKAGE IS LIMITED: So do not delay.

[​IMG]
    ———————-

Package Prices:

————————————-
    Single Occupancy Package - $1,985.00
    Double Occupancy Package - $1,690.00 (per person)

*Package price includes tax
    Extra Nights?: Optional room only rate for hotel (only available for nights outside of the package nights):
    Airport transportation: will not be provided to/from the hotel. Guests should take a taxi located outside of the airport terminal and expect a price of 25 Cuban pesos each way.

Package Inclusions:
    • Game Ticket
    • 3 nights at the Melia Habana (October 6 – 9)
    • Breakfast at the hotel each morning
    • Welcome Reception Cocktail Party
    • 3 tours of historic Cuban sites
    • 2 lunches (Pre-Game Friday and Saturday) – will include food and drinks
    • Visa processing - Required: Photocopy of passport (If not a US Passport, will also need proof of residence or proof the traveler can return to the US, Completed Travel Affidavit and Booking Information sheet (the box that needs to be checked for our group has already been pre-checked by us))
    • Friendly Fan Soccer Game and Charity Event
    • Transportation to all tours, events and game
    • Exclusive in-game concessions for package members only (serving beer)
    • American Outlaws exclusive sandals
    • Tour guides and local experts

• Single Occupancy - $290 per night (tax included in price)Double Occupancy - $340 per night (tax included in price)
    “Know Before You Go” Guide: We will send a “Know Before You Go” document that will include all the tips and things the travelers will need to know about Cuba in September to help answer any questions the group may have.

Optional Miami—> Havana Charter Flight: · Optional $469.00 Air Flight from Miami - (includes health coverage and taxes) (they have flights that leave at 8:00am and 2:00pm from MIA)

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: U.S. Credit and Debit cards do not currently work in Cuba, so remember to bring enough cash with you to last you your whole trip. U.S. Dollars can be exchanged into Cuban convertible currency at the airport, our hotel, or exchange houses. There is usually a 10% charge on exchanging U.S. dollars.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interested to hear what Travel Exemption they are getting from the Treasury Department

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Humanitarian. ;) Exporting bro culture one fireball shot at a time.

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will put down a paid in full on the package of that's the actual stated on paper to the federal government given reason.

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this game still on , Matthew on its way

7. CBlake

CBlake Member

May 20, 2007
    North of somewhere
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone who is making their way into Miami and beyond today for the match in Cuba stay safe. No need to mess with a Hurricane.

wixson7 repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Any stories from those who made it to the match?
    I'd like to read some.

wixson7 repped this.
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium look apocoplyptic

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Yeah, it's basically an old baseball stadium that looks like it was abandoned in the 60's. Which, in that regard, means it fits in pretty well with a lot of Havana. It even had some overgrown trees partially covering the seats behind one of the goals (but then again, so does RFK).

The US section was dead center at midfield, marked off on each side by rows of potted plants. I'd estimate maybe 100-150 US fans, which is more than I thought would show. Anyone with a ticket in that section had access to a little club / concert venue of some sort directly behind the stadium, where beer was sold. The tickets were just little slips of paper sold outside by a lady at a folding table, so it took me a minute to figure that one out.

The Cubans were friendly and good-spirited. A good amount of school groups in uniform, who I'm told were brought there as a mandatory field trip. There was a lot of American flag attire among the Cubans, which seems to be the case among the general population of Havana anyway.

Havana's definitely a unique place and well worth the trip. A lot of history and culture. And sort of like going back in time with the classic cars and major nightlife centered around the big hotels.

The lack of access to ATMs and credit/debit cards for Americans is a bit unnerving (as is carrying around $1000 USD in your luggage). I never did get used to the lack of Internet access and wifi, which you have to steal from the hotel lobbies or a small number of hotspots in some public squares. And that's after paying $2/hour for a government internet access card in a telecom store or on the street.

I guess it's technically still illegal for US citizens to spend money in Cuba for pure tourism purposes. But I told the truth to the US customs officer when I returned, and he barely batted an eye. I figured it'd be a worse offense to perjure myself to a government official, if they somehow found out.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet!!