USA-Cuba: Donovan's Free Kick Goal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Turk from Pigs Eye, Jul 8, 2005.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanneh put in an amazing flashing header off a corner against Uruguay right before WC02. Don't know if I've ever seen a ball move that fast. Or do you mean directly off the kick? Mathis in Honduras, maybe.

Last night's was just exceptional, I thought.

2. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was only able to listen to audio and not get any video after I downloaded.
    Does video require a premium account ??

3. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    My sources say that was encoded with DivX 5.1.1 which is available Here

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    He patted his chest with two hands as if he was burping a baby. Makes me wonder if the GF is ready to gestate.

5. Murray

Murray Member

Aug 2, 1999
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the video link. I asked tivo to record the game, forgot to add extra time for recording under options, and guess what, it stopped at 1-1 JUST BEFORE the free kick. I was about to ask myself what problems our US team would have if Donovan, Beasley, Wolff, O'Brian etc couldn't score a goal against 10 Cubans, when.....

6. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THX MUCHO MAN.

Nice velocity and placement.
    Would love to see the replay from behind the goal though.

Keeper most certainly got caught trying to cheat to HIS left.

As someone previously pointed out these FKs from straight on are most difficult for keepers because usually your unsighted because of the number of bodies.

7. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    Same thing happened with my DVR. I was praying we could score a goal at the end with that free kick and then I come online and see we scored three to finish off the game. Funny how soccer goes.

8. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    That's another point that wasn't mentioned- the camera crew did an excellent real-time job of telling the story of the goal. The must have had a crew that knew a little bit about soccer.

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was both a well taken kick, and a horrible horrible wall by the Cubans. What that guy was doing running across the wall I will not know.

11. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree here. It didn't occur to me until after the game, but upon reflection I thought the Cubans really blew it. Donovan did well to spot it and take advantage, but the opportunity shouldn't have been there to begin with. There's no way someone should be able to kick a ball right-footed into the left side of goal without bending or dipping it. Not with a 7-man wall.

After that, though, it was all about Donovan seeing the opportunity and having the necessary power and precision to finish it. The fact that it looked like he was going to the right with it helped as well.

Good teams make you pay for your mistakes, right?

12. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agoos, of all people, kicked one for us in the runup for WC2002. Before that was Cletus for the win in Honduras. Those are the last ones I remember (I'm talking kicking directly into the net, not setting up for a header, which happens more often for us.)

13. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Score on Corner Kicks--Do you consider the first header to score or scrumble after that?

Bocanegra vs. Panama: goal #1 is the latest one. Boca also hit the goal in other friendily games for few of them.

Indirect Free Kicks:

How about the goal vs. England?

Direct Free Kicks:

Agoos hits one in Gold Cup few years ago after Mathis one in Honduras.

14. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    After refresh my memories:

Corner Kicks:

Bocanegra vs. Panama Goal #1--Donovan sent in a corner, Boca finished with a header.

Mathis vs. Colombia Goal #3--Mathis sent in a corner, somehow Keeper mishandled and it is a goal.

Free Kicks:

McBride vs. Panama Goal #3--Donovan sent a freekick, then cleared out and Hedjuk tried a long short and bounced to McBride and he finished it.

Dempsey vs. England--Donovan sent a freekick, Boca shot and keeper saved, and Dempsey header finished it.

2004:

Corner Kicks:

Johnson vs. Panama Goal #5--I remembered this corner was heading by Berhalter, McBride, and Boca then finished by Johnson.

Boca vs. Poland. Just a good header.

Lewis vs. Honduras Goal #3--Reyna's corner was knocked down then some scrumble later, Lewis finished.

Free Kicks:

Onyewu vs. Panama Goal #6--It finally called a own goal after Onyewu's header hits a defender and changed the direction.

Sannah vs. Honduras Goal #4--Reyna's freekick hits Sannah's head.

Pope vs. Mexico--Convey's freekick hits by Twellman. Keeper saved and Pope finished.

Califf vs. Haiti--Freekick finished by Califf to save the face.