PBP: USA - CRC World Cup Qualifer - 10:06PM EST[R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would've liked to have seen Spector does anybody know why he isn't on the roster?

I think we could see Adu in the second half. We're playing a 4-3-3 with no dedicated #10, Donovan is a forward not a #10. I'd like to see us go to a 4-2-3-1

--------Altidore
    Donovan--Adu--Dempsey
    ----Torres---Bradley
    Mastro--Boca--Gooch--Wynne

or thesame lineup in a 4-4-1-1
    we need some defensive shoring up of the middle and backlines either way.

2. GoodForUS

GoodForUS Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Pennsyl-tucky
    Truth in the fact that this tests technical ability but the fact remains that this is not the kind of field condition players see on a regular basis. People say 'adapt after 15 min' it's really not so easy as that.

None of it excuses the bad positional play and horrible first touches by so many of our boys but it's not necessarily representative of how the players would play out on a standard grass surface.

3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    One of the players (Bocanegra?) said this field was 50 times worse than Giants Stadium.

4. polska26

polska26 Member

Feb 20, 2008
    when have u played at saprissa

5. The_Dude

The_Dude Member+

Aug 21, 2004
    Man, the secret was out on Beasley versus the Czech Rep ... don't give him any space and he can't/won't beat you. He was fun to watch when no one knew he didn't actually have any close control - and fun as hell to talk to.

It is an absolute JOKE that Freddy Adu is not a starter on this team. Only Donovan even comes close to matching his soccer brain. Meanwhile the coach's son starts in midfield, Marvell Wynn who's soccer IQ is the only thing worse than his touch starts at right back.

This coach DESERVES this beatdown. But US Soccer effed up a LONG time ago in hiring this clown. Confederations Cup is going to be embarrassing.

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well vacating your position as a center back and not coming away with a piece of the ball is a bad idea regardless of how poorly your right back is playing.

It was a bad play. His absence forced Bocanegra to slide over and Beasley was late covering for Bocanegra's spot. Pretty easy goal, really.

7. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fredua? Can't hurt.

8. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team was caught upfield. Poor defending was because they were scrambling back. That comes from attacking without discipline.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Can't say that in a room full of Bradley haters. He was the best US player on the field in the 1st half.

10. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    im really perplexed as to what some of you expected going into Saprissa

11. keller#1

keller#1 Red Card

Feb 16, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    btw, im sure this was posted before, but DMB taking throw ns? He's worse than Gael Clichy-wait for two minutes to let the defense get ready, then throw to the only guy who is double covered. SO GODDAM POOR FROM HIM

12. slickguy2011

slickguy2011 New Member

May 29, 2008
    I agree. The US needs to learn to play away from home. We played a great game against Argentina last year, but notice how that was at home. We got torn apart by England when a lot of supporters thought we would win. I often compare us to teams like Norway. I watched Norway play the Netherlands (WCQ replay) and they did well. Norway is comparable in depth and talent to the US, but the US would never be able to put up the kind of performance that Norway did. I really think it is time to identify why that is and more importantly how to change this.

13. Xensik

Xensik New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm echoing the people who say bring in Adu and throw caution to the wind. Let's make this second half the most painful 45 minutes of football these *******'s will ever play.

14. MNGalaxy

MNGalaxy Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no!!! We suck again!!!

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Laugh at the job offer...:p

16. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything you said. I would also say that Dempsey has been non existent.

17. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Frankly, the main reason I think this lineup is not working well is due to the field difference. I still think something like this would work well vs. Mexico at the Azteca (assuming their defense is still as horrendous as it has been throughout the qualifiers). I think Costa Rica would have scored some goals against them if they bothered to attack.

18. jonspider

jonspider Member

Mar 9, 2005
    South Carolina
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not the conditions at all guys.

We win here all the time. Hell, I think we are undefeated or something.

Yep, Bradley is 45 mins away from being the only US boss to lose there.

19. Tru Fan 07

Tru Fan 07 New Member

May 1, 2007
    Fools Gold " MB " is dreadful as usual. What has he accomplished???

20. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm not.

The positioning is on Bradley the coach - it's clear that all three midfielders have no idea how they play amongst each other, much less combine with the attack or defense.

Bradley the player has done fairly well to shut down space where he can and at least eliminate one option. His touches are also pretty good on the ball tonight, and he's commanding the ball from the backline.

So yes, he's not playing great, but he's looking decent.

21. ej014

ej014 Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Vacaville, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guus would probably have some width in the midfield so you don't leave you POS left back and your inexperience right back out to dry. He'd also probably rip into mastroeni for missing tackle on both goals.

22. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: grimey

Imagine how China felt when they lost to Costa Rica in WC 2002.

23. KingAL30

KingAL30 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley has no first touch, Dempsey tries to do too much on his own. Gooch is playing center and right back. Mastroeni is like a chicken with his head cut off.

24. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you never seen the USMNT play under Bradley? When they are sucking, he rips them all a new one and they play 2x better 2nd half.

Remember Mexico vs US in the 2007 GC final?

25. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cashed a huge check from Roman Abramovich? I think that's how he starts most days of the week.