USA- Costa Rica @ Soldier Field, June 7

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Real Corona, Mar 31, 2016.

1. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Last time they did an AO party at Weathermark, I could barely get in the door. I expect a smaller crowd next Tuesday, but get there early if that's your thing.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Yep, that's why they have the overflow lot adjacent to the bar this time. Should resolve it, but a bar full of US fans is a good problem to have. ;)

See you there.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is looking for two AO tickets. message me

4. Section128

Section128 Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McCormick Place lot (furthest south lot main entrance on s king dr same side of street as hertz) near i-55 $23 or $25 for bears games. Closer to outlaws bar and then you can walk over the bridge to get to soldier field.

Plus when you leave lot the entrance to get back on i-55 south is right there.

There are a couple other mccormick lots that are more expensive, the one on the same side of king dr as hertz is the least expensive.

doogiemo repped this.
  5. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Anyone know how much the South Lot was? Someone on the Fire board said Waldron was $50!

6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

FYI: another good option for getting there, particularly if you're staying anywhere along the lakefront.

7. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    If anyone's going to the AO thing, I'll be in last year's white polo jersey and a flag beanie. Feel free to say hi.

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Alas, the way work is going today I'll probably get home right at 6PM and walk over to the stadium from there.

9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Good crowd, good pregame, good march.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.
    Soldier Field should be considered to get more official matches. Especially against the Costa Rica's, Panama's and Trinidad and Tobago's of the world.

11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a person who is moving to Chicago in a year, that would be lovely.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the atmosphere wasn't bad, but in a 4-0 romp, it certainly shouldn't be.

perhaps i'm naïve, but I was a bit disappointed with 39k for that fixture (though prices were, admittedly, far too high). and if 39k is a strong turnout, than 60+k stadiums probably aren't the best venues for the nats.

don't get me wrong - I love Chicago. And I love when the MNT schedules games that I can easily get to. I had a great time Tuesday night - and will be over the moon if somehow we could get to the semifinal at Soldier Field (to which I also have tickets). but I really didn't think the venue/atmosphere was all that great for that fixture/result, if I'm honest.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USMNT is not at the point yet where we should be scheduling NFL stadiums. Baseball stadiums or college football stadiums that come in around 35-40k are fine but Soldier Field at 40k just doesn't give as good an atmosphere.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess US soccer forgot to get the Memo and apply it to Jacksonville. :D

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And I was at the game and the atmosphere was just fine.

16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i'm all for putting them in big stadiums, so long as it'll be priced to sell out (or reasonably close) and without pissing away home field advantage. otherwise I'd prefer slightly smaller venues.

I was at the game, too, and I agree ... the atmosphere was fine. even better than fine, to my mind. but it was hardly great. and frankly, the same crowd a smaller venue would've been better.

i'm not knocking the selection, of course, as it's the Copa America, and you need proper major venues for that. but for scheduling friendlies and qualifiers and such, i'd prefer that we fill it up wherever we play, whether that means adjusting capacities or ticket prices.

I would love it - absolutely love it - if we would schedule friendlies (against non-latin American competition) somewhere like Soldier Field and then price them really, really reasonably. but i'm sure the bean counters have done the math and decided 30k at maximized prices are better than 70k at whatever price point it'd take to pull them.

whatever. they're not going to ask me.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I pretty much agree with everything you said.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They seem desperate for cash

19. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    Gotta pay (equally) those ladies somehow ;)

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be surprised if they charge $85 for end zone tickets, but who knows maybe they are that crazy. Jacksonville is definitely an odd choice and vs Trinidad I can't imagine more than 40K showing up in a 67k stadium

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think 40-50K sounds about right. Remember there's a lot of people in the South who have been craving for a WCQ. So people from bordering states will make the drive.

Logistical it is probably a good choice since they have to play in the Caribbean the match day prior.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on prices, but 50k sounds extremely ambitious. Very few games beyond USA-Mexico get those numbers.

23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I Really wish we could go back to Saturday/Wednesday instead of Tuesday/Fridays for WCQ. At least give me a 50/50 shot of not having to take a day off of work to travel to a game.