USA-Brazil [Wizards thread] [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Sir, put down the kool-aid. Put down the kool-aid and slowly back away...

First, USA is a good team, they shouldn't ever be afraid of anyone anywhere. Fearlessness, what a joke. Also, our guys were collectively timid after scoring early. Plus, even if they were not, no cookies for controling fear. This wasn't in Rio, it was in Chicago. 4-2 was the final score. IMO, it wasn't that close. Have you never seen Brasil play a friendly? They don't care about perfection, just the win...and entertaining. There are not Germany after all. Do you really think Brasil got on the plane from O'Hare thinking, "Wow, we were really lucky to win. The USA's fearlessness and skill really scares me. The US media must be encouraged by their potential."

Uh, no. :D

USA's goal of merely being competitve or dreaming of things like respect or occasional success are over. USA are the Continental Champions. The time for moral victories is done. They take that game into the CCC and they are 0-3, unless they draw Bafana Bafana.

Potential I'll conceed, but progress? Progress from when? Depends on perspective. Move the time period to the USA beating Brasil years ago. You can argue minor points. To me the only three clear differentials from then to now is a) Howard was a clear downgrade from Keller (and who wouldn't be) and b) USA had a slightly, and only slightly, more bite offensively, and c) Brasil's GK is much better today. Both USA defenses were easily explioted. Do the USA have a competent back that can play :90 without getting a card or conceeding a central free? Obviously, Brasil is still worlds better on the technial side, not that that is a cut of any kind, it just is. That still isn't progress.

You know what, this is a silly argument. I don't often say this, but on this I'm right, period. That you may not agree is comforting actually. Maybe the best way to get it across might be to imagine that the opponent was #9 Mexico instead of #1 Brasil. How satisfied would you be then? Probably just as satisfied as Mexico is every time they play well and lose to the USA 2-0.

2. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Wow.

That's like saying the Grand Canyon is a bit of a hole.

3. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.. er... 2002... :eek:

4. MLS Insider

MLS Insider New Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Fixed your post.:D

5. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    You might be right, but I think you overstate your argument. I agree with you in principle, but the others are also right in respect to the generally good performance by the US. I think they had a decent chance to win, in spite of the fact that Brazil is better. Does that mean the US is better? Of course not, but I do feel that 4-2 is, as was eloquently put, a bit flattering for Brazil. It felt closer than 4-2, in other words.

It's reasonable to mention the past, and how people felt about the USMNT. After all, it seems like we've been "almost there" for quite awhile. Those players have pretty much passed the torch to a new generation. This new generation is good, but probably not at the level that people hoped we would be, say, 10 years ago. We've made progress, but...

I was very happy with the performance, it was Brazil after all, if not the score. It was what it was, a game of very good players, some of whom are stars on their clubs, against players who are stars of the top leagues of the world. In that perspective, I think we did well.

I still think it won't get very much better until the MLS academies and youth development kicks in and pays dividends. The US is producing scads of great athletes, but only a small percentage go in for soccer.

6. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only saw one replay of this but it looked fairly flagrant to me. He was shoved from behind; possibly red cardable. Wolff was in an extremely dangerous position.

7. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, blatant takedown.

8. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was rushing onto a rebounded shot, basically a sitter in front of a fairly open net....when he was pushed down from behind.

Go to around the 4:40 mark of this video for a couple shots:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcwYYtbkow&feature=dir

9. Mystical19

Mystical19 New Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Yes, but how hard did the Brazilians try? Real progress is also impeded when Josh Wolff starts, let alone makes the roster.

I'm still concerned because two of our best players don't have real positions. Donovan and Dempsey are attacking middies neither suited for midfield nor striker. That doesn't work when you don't have a brilliant striker up top. I'd rather see a target man up there with Eddie.

Our best players are hybrids. It was a big problem in the Cup and it's still unsolved.

10. kcwizards888

kcwizards888 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Liberty
    I missed the game because of work. Ive looked on youtube but couldnt find the highlights? Anyone have any suggestions or help?

11. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See my previous post, two posts above yours.