Review: USA - Bosnia & Herzegovina - Player Ratings

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Mario Balotelli, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard - 7 - Not at fault for any of the 3 goals and made a few nice saves; distribution was decent

Evans - 6 - He's the guy everyone likes to bash but he defended quite well and tried to get forward in the first half. Didn't do as much in the second half but not a bad effort. He certainly didn't hurt his chances at RB.

Cameron - 5 - He was late to react on the first goal and got beaten for the second one. I liked his passing but you can tell he hasn't been playing CB regularly. Besler and Gonzo will be happy to see this.

Brooks - 7 - Could have done better to stop the first goal and got beaten by Dzeko on the third goal but his passing out of the back was exquisite. I'm not going to fault him too much for Dzeko's goal because that was an extremely difficult header. He defended well for the most part - stopped two dangerous breaks including a tough one on one with Dzeko. He'll have a shot to start in the next round of qualifiers. This kid is a stud.

F. Johnson - 6.5 - His defense was so-so but he thrived in the midfield. His run to set up Jozy's equalizer was a turning point in the match. He's our best LB but it's hard to keep him there when he's so good in the midfield.

Jones - 4.5 - Looked uncharacteristically gassed in the first half (hard to blame him since he went a full 90 on Sunday) and had a few horrendous giveaways in the midfield. Not his finest hour.

Bradley - 8.5 - A tremendous performance from the bald eagle. He completely controlled the midfield and delivered a gorgeous ball over the top to set up the first goal. His run to assist Jozy's third goal was sublime.

Bedoya - 6 - Worked hard on both sides of the pitch but just didn't see enough of the ball to make an impact offensively. I like what he brings and think he should be called in for the next round of qualifiers.

Diskerud - 6.5 - Kept it moving in the first half and was key to us keeping possession. He draw what should have been a penalty with a strong sequence of dribbling but was unfortunate not to get a call. His passing range and technique is unique to most guys in our player pool and he's another guy I'd like to see get called in for the September qualifiers.

E. Johnson - 5 - Eddie had an awful first half. His giveaway that lead to Bosnia's first goal was baffling and an amateur mistake and he followed it up by failing to get a shot off in the box when had two good looks. He redeemed himself somewhat with the easy goal and kickstarted the comeback effort. It was nice to see him score for the first time against a non-CONCACAF team.

Altidore - 9.5 - [​IMG]
    MOTM. That is all.

Substitutes:

Castillo - 6 - His lightning quick forays forward where he slices through defenders weren't quite as effective against a decent European opponent as they are against weaker competition in Mexico but he drew a foul in a dangerous area that lead to Jozy's FK goal. I'm not a fan of him playing in defense but I'm not opposed to trying him out as a second half sub for speed.

Johannsson - 7 - He started off with a great pass to put Jozy through clear in the box and had two great first touches to unleash a couple shots on goal. He was busy off the ball and constantly kept the Bosnian defense occupied. Herc and EJ should be concerned about keeping their spots if this short cameo was any indication of things to come from the Iceman.

Corona - 6 - Didn't do a whole lot but wasn't afforded many opportunities to. He was generally tidy in possession when he did see the ball.

Kljestan - 6 - Solid in the midfield but didn't offer anything special. He's replaceable but it's certainly nice to have a guy of Sacha's quality in our CM depth chart.

Parkhurst - 6.5 - Came into the game with a purpose and was tenacious on both sides of the pitch. I liked the energy he brought and his defense wasn't bad.

Wood - Incomplete - Had maybe one touch on the ball, a late cross into the box, but didn't have an opportunity to contribute in his a few minutes.

Klinsmann - 8 - he's a great motivator and whatever he's doing at halftime is working. He made an astute change to the 4-4-2 at the half and it paid dividends.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So Cameron is flop of the match besides Jones who played Sunday.

Can anybody think of a reason? I've never seen Cameron with a flop rating before. Maybe the food n Bosnia does not agree with him.

Memo to Klinsi...you can fool some of the people some of the time.....

3. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Hard to give Brooks a 7. The defense got torched several times, and he was at fault on 1 or 2 of the goals. great upside on the kid, but a 5 performance today, if that's what we're rating. Also, Castillo deserved that 7, for calming down the left side when he came in.

4. NyUSSoccerfan

NyUSSoccerfan New Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What would Jozy have to do to ge a 10? Other than that I agree with almost all of the ratings

Moejangles repped this.
  5. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dzeko's third goal was definitely his fault. The first goal it was hard to fault he or Cameron too much because of EJ's awful giveaway. The second goal he was pushed and should have gotten a foul. I thought he did well to snuff out a counter when he was the last line of defense and then he had another one on one situation where Dzeko went at him but he poked it away. Both of those situations could have easily lead to goals. He also had an impressive 48/51 pass completion rate and 7 successful clearances.

I know it seems overly harsh considering Jozy was brilliant today but he had two poor decisions in the box. The first was after Dzeko's goal when he freed himself in the box and oddly laid it off for EJ and the second was the flubbed cross/shot he had after AJ put him through. A 10 for me a flawless performance.

cthomer5000 repped this.
  6. USA2010?

USA2010? Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Howard - 7, defense let him down
    Evans - 6, didn't look out of place
    Brooks - 5.5, some nice passing out of the back. Remember, Dzecko is probably a top 20 forward
    Cameron - 5, OK, so he's better at DM for us
    FJ - 6.5
    Bradley - 8.5, just his customary solid play. Can we bubble wrap him and open June 1st?
    JJ - 5.5
    EJ - 4, now this may seem harsh, but...he doesn't really track back well. He had some great opportunities in the first 60 minutes and did nothing until Jozy gifted him the pass. Look back at the first half...he was where attacks were slowed and stopped. He's a good MLS player, but is just too inconsistent at this level. And did I mention the giveaway?
    Mix - 5 muscled off the ball too much. BH controlled the middle when he was in.
    Bedoya - 6 decent wing play and he tracks back
    Jozy - 9.5, the only negative was his pass to EJ when EJ didn't make the run. I don't think BH wants to see him again. His touch has really improved along with his consistency. His first strike was just pure striker. Easily, up to this point, the best striker the US has ever produced, and he's only 23.
    Corona - 6
    AJ - 7, don't we all want to see more of this kid? His through ball was pure class.
    Kljestan - 6, looked more solid than usual
    Castillo - 4.5, sorry, but no matter how good someone looks going forward, a LB, especially for the USMNT, HAS to play some defense.
    Parkhurst - 5.5, better than expected at this level

JK - takes a team to europe, against a team that will win it's qualifying group, without Dempsey, Donovan, Omar, or Besler and wins. Not bad.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your ratings overall are fine.

That said, you're being way too easy on Brooks, probably because he's a prospect. Judging him by the same standard as everyone else, he didn't play well. He was of major fault on the first goal as it turned out. Johnson started it all, but Howard's save gave Brooks a chance to get back, yet he chose to spend that time appealing for offsides, and then didn't commit to getting to the line after he did start running. The 2nd goal I'll give him a pass for the most part because he was pushed, but he could have played that better by posting up the defender instead of running at the ball. 2-3 goals he was partially responsible for allowing, that's a lot.

The other one who I think you were easy on was Diskerud. He made some very poor decisions than rushed leading to costly turnovers, and I don't remember him involved in the attack or ball winning much. He's had many better days.

Berks and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  8. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I think a 6 is about right for Mix. He started slowly, but did some nice defensive work. He sprung Altidore on a breakaway and was denied a stone-cold PK. The two goals in the first half can be attributed to individual errors, not necessarily team defense. And Bosnia's strikers are just that damn good.

But we're splitting hairs. Any ratings that don't have MB90 and Jozy in the 8-9 range are, IMHO, wrong.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  9. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the obvious Jozy and MB, Johansen was brilliant. His first touch and ability to change direction with a burst, 0-60 in a step is something we haven't seen before. He and Jozy up to are hell to deal with.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Be a dual national eligible and switch to the US and play your first match.

StillKickin and NyUSSoccerfan repped this.
  11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 m vann, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    Jozy - 10 - Any other rating is just moronic. My rating is not based on his 26 minute hat trick. He was simply brilliant for 90 minutes. Everything he did had a positive impact whether it was taking a smart touch, backing a defender down, holding a defender off -- everything. The deft touch to EJ was pure class. The run, the touch, and ultimately the shot across his body for the goal is how the Drogba's of this world became filthy rich. This was Jozy's best match to date in a US shirt. His form right now is ridiculous and I can only hope it carries over to Sunderland. I am usually pretty harsh with ratings and I can't think of one time I rating a player so highly. That's how much Altidore impressed me,

SJB, Wessoman, Tom Collingsworth and 3 others repped this.
  12. Luis Suarez

Luis Suarez Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, completely deserves a 10, Jozy did everything. If this wasn't a 10 rated performance, then I am curious to see what critics think someone has to do to deserve a 10 rating?

13. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howard - 6

Evans - 6

Cameron - 6

Brooks - 6

F. Johnson - 6

Jones - 5 - victim of multiple hard tackles and they took a physical toll.

Bradley - 8 - Typical MB performance, but I thought I'd rate him high for once.

Bedoya - 6

Diskerud - 6

E. Johnson - 4.5

Altidore - 9

Castillo - 6

Johannsson - 6.5

Corona - 6 -

Kljestan - 6

Parkhurst - 6

Wood - nr

14. jimmy2823

jimmy2823 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought jones and mix were terrible. they were both turning the ball way too much, mix was outmuscled alot and when he did have the ball, he never opened the field or did anything useful.

TabLalas repped this.
  15. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also won a clear penalty on a great turn and 99 percent of refs calk the penalty. That call is made and you are probably singing a different tune.

16. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's childish to label anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly agree with you moronic.

It does seem like it's based on the 26 minute hat trick because he made 2 clear mistakes in the box, both of which he obviously made up for and more but that doesn't automatically make it a flawless performance. He has this performance in a pressure packed WCQ or a WC game, then sure, I'll give him a 10.

Mr Martin and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to make mountains out of mole hills with that comment. You read too much in to it. I think it's moronic for him not to have a 10 rating. Nowhere did I insinuate or lable those who didn't rate him a 10 as moronic. Fine line between the two, admittedly, but maybe you see it differently. Oh well........

Refresh my memory on those two please. I can only think of the ball he received over the top, in the 1st half, just to the left of the penalty spot that he tried to lay off. Yes, he may have had an opportunity to shoot but I also think laying it off, when EJ should have been there, was an option, too. It could have gone either way, IMO. A mistake? Sure. But no game, even with a 10 rating, is flawless. It's impossible.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  18. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I disagree. The result doesn't have to be flawless, but it's fair to expect the occasional '10' in terms of decision making. Jozy's blatant screw-ups where the layoff to no-one, and he had a late game play where someone (i think Johannsson) laid it out to him wide left, and he almost seemed surprised to received it, took too many touches, and hit it way out wide (past the 18 yard box, and nothing useful came of it).

It's fair to criticize those decisions even if he played his best game in a USMNT jersey. MOTM, but shy of a 10 is reasonable.

19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 comoesa, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    On, Mix I want to say he's gotten good at drawing fouls instead of just losing possession. He needs to work ore on riding those challenges and maintaining possession though. you could tell he had some good ideas, though. I would of liked to see him play with Johannsson in EJ's place in the formation we began the game with. Hope he isn't too disappointed at being pulled at half time.

Brooks got punked by Dzeko and Ibisevic but he broke up two breakaways by himself. I have only seen Besler do that in recent memory. That shows great athleticism and reading of the game.

Bedoya had one attacking moment the entire time he was on the field. He tracked back well but I expected a bit more. The wide midfielders have to have some end product for the 4231 formation to work out. EJ and Bedoya haven't shown enough to start there in big games. Johannnsson can play anywhere along the attacking 4 it seems, so, that's a good thing. Zusi and his crossing is also preferable to Bedoya and EJ on the wings at this moment.

FJ looked like he was a bit out form on the defensive side of the ball, balla in midfield, though.

Unless we play a 442 I think we will have at least one(Jonhson at LB) or two starting 11 quality players on the benchfor the wide midfield positions. Which is great.

20. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Cameron has rarely been good at CB for us. He is a DM.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoot that time in the first half he was clear at the top of the goalie box. Also made a mess of that nice pass from Bacon.

22. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian deserves higher than a 6. That through ball...The guy is so silky in the final third. I don't know what the heck JK is gonna do with Jozy, Dempsey, Donovan, Bacon, and Fabian. Bacon as super-sub with Fabian at LB? Damn...I'm so excited about this team offensively.

23. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jermaine Jones played like absolute garbage.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He looked pretty bad for the most part.

I watched the match with my father and he constantly ragged on him. I tell him he usually plays well in Germany for Schalke but he does not believe it.

25. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I think he deserves a 10 but folks were saying that he should have been more greedy and take that chance that he laid off to Johnson for the assist. He made the easy, correct and intelligent play.