usa basketball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Ghost, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Does anyone else root against the USA basketball teams when they send the pros? I say this as Germany is holding close as it nears halftime in the FIBA World Championship tournament.

2. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Yeah I always root against the Dream Teams....no different today. Go Germany...hey Im Brazilian with German anscestors so theres my excuse.

I always like the underdogs anyway, unless we are talking about Brazil and Soccer.

Plus add the whole American "Why even play this tournament when we have the NBA" attitude and thats just an extra bonus if the US loses.

I will never forget 1987, Brazil 120 x 115 USA . Gold medal game in Indy. Ah the memories..

I do root for the US soccer team intensly though.

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I root for the USA in soccer. When it gets to the point that the best US BB players want to play and show some heart, I'll root for them.

To be fair to this team, they showed up when Shaq and friends decided to take a pass.

4. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Yes I will give that to these US players..they wanted to represent their counr=try instead of "enoying" the summer like the other NBA stars.

5. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    why are you rooting against them? They are playing hard and they are American. Good enough for me. I enjoy the other Countries in this tournament but I have enjoyed Ben Wallace's defense even more. Reggie Miller wanting to play despite a sprained ankel (he'll play on monday). Paul Pierce and Elton Brand are obviously giving all they got.

Dirk Nowitzki is a great player though, he single handidly had Germany in the game for 3 quarters before he was just got wore out playing 1 on 5.

6. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    Thank You Team USA for representing our country:

E. Brand
    A. Davis
    B. Davis
    M. Finley
    R. LaFrentz
    S. Marion
    A. Miller
    R. Miller
    J. O'Neal
    P. Pierce
    B. Wallace
    J. Williams

George Karl, head coach
    Gregg Popovich, assistant
    Mike Montgomery, assistant
    Kelvin Sampson, assistant

All you have my support and when/if you bring back the gold, all of you will have a special place in my heart.

Where are you Kobe, Kevin Garnett, Duncan, Webber, Shaq (injured but probably wouldn't have played anyway but played in 96 I think), Iverson, Vince Carter (played in 2000) etc?

Also, thanks for getting a bit of revenge on Germany for the World Cup tonight. Who saw Ben Wallace's rejection of Dirk tonight? Dirk IS good though, who else would've carried those no-names for 3 quarters and change against this team USA?

Smash the ChiComs tomorrow. 8pm on TNT everyone.

7. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No. Everyone else is sending pros so the USA should too.

8. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How fun would the World Cup be if Brazil decided they were too good to send their best, so they decided to send scrubs to give the rest of the world a chance?

I think it's pretty cool seeing Collison there, you know with all the experience he has with being on USA teams, youth and senior, he's not gonna pass up the chances he'll have in the future to have a fun time at the beach.

While the USA should win every game, blowing out every single team is a bit of a request. And c'mon, give Germany errr.... Dirk Nowitzki and friends a little credit too.

9. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Iverson's said in the past that he'd love to play but USA Basketball hasn't asked him.

10. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well he's not exactly the best image in the world to put out there for USA basketball. It would be kind of like MADD recruiting his mother as a spokesperson for the organization.

But still... I don't care how many tattoos he has, or how many people he has threatened to kill, or how many times he's rapped about how homosexuals should be killed.... no wait, I actually do care and he's not someone that I would want out there for my team until he cleans up his act.

11. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    forget the off the court problems (of which he has many). On the court he is a mess too. A great deal of talent, yes? A great basketball mind - NO.

the Sixers traded him to the Pistons but the trade was nixed because the other player int he trade failed his physical. Since then Iverson has been on the trading block and no team wants him. Isiah Thomas said the Pacers would not be interested in him because he won't work within a team concept.

Joe Dumars said that Iverson is a great talent but would not work in the current Pistons system.

Iverson also has a long list of teamates who have complained about him from Jerry Stackhouse to Tony Kukoc.

Iverson might very well be the worst shooter I have ever laid eyes on.

If he ever learned how to play the game and learned how to respect it, instead on thinking that street ball is the only way to play, he'd be one of the best players in the league. Until then, he's basically a nobobdy with a lot of talent.

Out it this way, i asked a Kings fan who is better - Iverson or Christie. He said obviously Iverson. I then asked who would you rather have play for the Kings? he said Christie.