USA at Guatemala 8/20

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by thethinwhiteduke, Jun 23, 2008.

1. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    so, now that our semi-final grouping is set. who is planning on going? i for one am working on arrangements already....this could play as a key match.

2. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    I just bought a ticket on US-Air from LGA for $350.

I'm going to make surgical strikes on all these mid-week games. I'm headed down on the morning of the 20th and coming back the afternoon of the 21st.

Will probably crash somewhere supercheap.

3. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    I was thinking of something similar. can get roundtrip on AA from LGA leaving the 19th or 20th and returning the 21st for about $340. just have to figure out if getting in on the 20th will give me enough time

4. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    The USAir flight gets in around 11:30 am. Last cycle, we played in Guatemala on a wednesday night at 8:00 MT according to US Soccer's website. That translates to 4:00 PM Guatemala time (i think).

5. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    d@mn! I wish I wasn't deployed otherwise I would def. join in! I spent 12 yrs in that country so count me in if we play guate on the Hex, I should be back by then...

Right now (daylight savings) Guate and Mountain Time share the same time. Mateo Flores (the likely venue for the match) is a straight shot from the airport, so it shouldn't take you more than 1hr to get there. Mile-wise it think it's around 6 maybe 7 but def. less then 10!

The area around the stadium has NOTHING hotel wise... best area to stay is "La Zona Viva" in Zona 10 which is just outside the airport. Tons of nice hotels, good restaurants and nice bars... Please let me know if you have any specific questions... GO USA!!!

6. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    looks like the earliest id be able to get in is 1.25 and if its a 4pm match that is cutting it tight. if its 6pm (the equivalent of mountain time) that would give me enough time.....

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dulles to Guatemala City, by way of Panama City, around $340 round trip.

I'm not sure if I'll go or not, but I am tempted.

8. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    how much would you estimate a cab from the airport to the stadium is?
    i was looking at the westin (or another starwood brand)which has: Camino Real Avenida la Reforma y 14 Calle

any idea on that hotel location in relation to the airport and/or stadium? where is some good drinking to be had?

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guatemala is UTC-6, and doesn't use Daylight Saving Time. It's currently the same time as mountain time, DST.

It's 7:44 AM in Guatemala City and Denver right now.

In the fall and winter, Guatemala City will be the same time as central time.

10. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    Camino Real is really nice. It's in the "Zona Viva" I mentioned in my other post and minutes away from the airport, maybe just barely a mile from it! Avenida la Reforma is one of the main drags in that part of the city. 1 mile or two down the road (opposite direction from the airport) it will turn into 10th ave. and a few miles on 10ave and you'll be directly in front of the main entrance to the stadium.

I'm taking a stab @ the Camino Real room being in the $100/120 ballpark per nite, but more to come.
    I'll get back with you on the taxi fare question and what's the "IT" place for drinking/hanging out and some other hotel options...

11. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    wow, thanks for all the great info!! sounds like my plans are falling into place...who else is thinking of making the trip?

12. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    Just posting some hotel info, all of these hotels are in La Zona Viva just minutes away from the airport. Quotes are from just a few hours...

Real Intercontinental
    This is the best 5 star hotel in Guate city.
    Double occupancy US$249.00 per night. B'fast included.

I post this cuz I know Rishi if phu_cking loaded and doesn't care where he stays and most likey location of the NATS.

Camino Real
    2nd best 5 star hotel in Guate city.
    Double occupancy $170 per night. B'fast included and round trip to/from airport.

Biltmore Express
    Right next to Camino Real.
    Double occupancy $104.00 per night. B'fast included and round trip to/from airport.

Hotel Stofella
    2 blocks from Camino Real.
    Double occupancy $79.00 per night. B'fast included and round trip to/from airport for an additional $8

Holiday Inn
    2 blocks from Camino Real.
    Double occupancy $128.00 per night. B'fast included and round trip to/from airport.

Exchange rate is $1 = 7.55 quetzales
    20 quetzales = One beer! :)
    Taxi one-way from the airport to the stadium won't be more than $20.
    Also, expect really bad traffic anywhere in the city between 5pm and 7pm. Especially during game day/nite. So plan for one to 2 hours to get to the stadium from the airport.

Now IT places...

La Playa

This is one of those MUST visit places. Tue and Wed. night is "ladies night" so it gets packed. It's a nice bar to relax and drink.

http://www.relaxenlaplaya.com

Looks like fun huh!? It's about a mile from the Zona Viva. Opposite direction from the stadium but still on the main drag.

Cuatro Grados Norte

3 closed off blocks with tons of restaurants, bars and a good hang out spot. I'm sure it will be packed after the game! This place is located half way between the Zona Viva and the Stadium. Check out some photos...

http://guate360.com/galeria/categories.php?cat_id=51

Champion Bar @ the Marriott

Nice bar and fun during the weekend, not sure what's it like during the weekday... will get more info!

Somebody mentioned there's a flight that lands @ 1:30pm, so if game-time is 7pm, you should have no problem going to the hotel 1st (drop off bags) and then head out to the game.

If the game is @ 4pm it think it would be cutting it pretty close... but I'm pretty sure it will be a night game...

If there's anything else you guys would like to know, please post and I'll get the info... :)

I'll post some screen shots of the area so you can get an idea...

13. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    Sorry for my $hitty paint job, but just some screen shots from Google map to point out some spots. If screenshots are to small, just google maps the GUA airport and you can see all the stuff there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red line highlights Ave. Reforma, which is 10th ave by the Stadium side and Ave. Las Américas by La Playa side...

Also a good link for some hotel info... Just make sure you select Guate City.

http://www.enjoyguatemala.com/hotels/

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that everyone is sending rep to doogiemo for his help.

15. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008

is this the real guatemala intercontinental hotel at 14 CALLE 2-51, ZONA 10? i found some rooms there for $149 a night, not too bad if its THAT nice...otherwise i may go cheaper. thanks again for all your knowledge.

16. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    Thanx bud!

yup! that's the one... This is on 14 calle and just a block or 2 off of the main drag (Ave. Reforma) should be pretty much next to Camino Real in the heart of the Zona Viva.

Here's the hotel's link, on-line reservation can be made. The quotes I posted was for double occupancy, so single should be cheaper.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/locations/guatemalacity

Also, I edit one of the photos from my previous post, so if you used them as reference, please review them again... Thanx.

17. MakingNews

MakingNews Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Has anyone poked the federation about ticket info for this game? I'm pondering going, but want to make sure they'll really be an allocation. U.S. Soccer is so slow to move on these things.

18. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    We'll have tix. I'll reach out and get the deets, but they'll send out an email soon i'm sure.

19. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    so, who is making the trip?

20. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    i'm in +3 most likely.

21. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    just me...thinking about staying at the westin or the intercontinental....get into GUA at 8.30am

22. JonfromVegas

JonfromVegas Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    If anyone is interested in a cheap hotel that is really nice I know of a place in zona 1. It is more of a bed and breakfast type deal. The owners speak english and are super nice. I am down in Guate pretty frequently and it is where I like to stay just because it offers more of an authentic Guatemalan experience.

It's about 10 min from the airport and they'll even send a private cab to pick you up. If you let them know that you are coming in for the game they will arrange transportation for you and all that.

Posada Belen is the place.

I'll actually be down there but my flight to come home leaves on the 20th in the morning. I'm super bummed out. Does anyone know how to find out where the guys will be training before the game? And if there's any way to go watch them train?

Also, if anyone will be coming in the day before the match and wants to meet up, let me know. I know my way around pretty well!

23. YankeeHoo

YankeeHoo New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seeing this thread + hitting my aa advantage mileage in the same day = some wonderfully dangerous thinking- im 90 per cent in on this, even if aa doesnt honor it for some reason, only 357 from nyc is friggin amazing, and you can fly in/out pretty much anytime as well... yeah this may definitely happen

24. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    im an AA flyer as well and the fares, schedules to GUA from either MIA or DFW are really convenient.....let me know via PM if you book this, we can see if we are on the same flights!

25. YankeeHoo

YankeeHoo New Member

Aug 10, 2004
    NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like im taking the flight in from miami on the 19th that gets in at 7:10- those of you that have been around guatemala, since i have the day- any sights/places i should/could take in during the day on the 20th?