USA at Cuba (CNL): Nov. 19, 2019, George Town, Cayman Islands

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Eddie Stiel, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Anybody going? Other than me?

As far as I can tell, there are free VIP Grand Stand tickets to this match here. If only I knew that these free tickets would show up when I bought my Grand Stand Early Bird ticket.

The Cayman Islands are a horror show for budget travel. I found Major Rod's Hostel. CI$35 for a shared dorm, CI$80 for a private room.

wixson7 repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

Represent for us Eddie. I’ll share any details that I come across as well.
    Good seeing you the past few weeks, by the way.

Eddie Stiel repped this.
  3. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    im out on this one. had my cuba ticket booked but cayman islands is tough to justify with the wife

wixson7 repped this.
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have plane tickets but then realized it’s my moms birthday the day before. :thumbsdown:

also yeah the idea of visiting the caymans was One Of the least attractive parts of this game

5. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Treat you mom to a vacation to the Caymans and a soccer match for her birthday.

thethinwhiteduke repped this.
  6. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    the birthday gift every mom dreams of

Suyuntuy repped this.
  7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    @Eddie Stiel saw you on TV after our 2nd goal. How was it? Give us the travel notes and stadium vibe.

And anyone else that went.....

Eddie Stiel repped this.
  9. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The stadium vibe was mellow. Maybe 25 or so AO at the end of the grandstand. Other Cayman activities must have worn them out because they took some relatively long breaks from the chanting in the 2nd half. I saw Cordeiro visit them before the match.

The neutrals leaned heavily for Cuba. The loudest cheers were for Cuban attacks.

I would have never visited Grand Cayman except for the match. Banks and souvenir shops for cruise ship visitors, shuttled on shore by smaller boats. The water looks nice. I visited the National Museum and, later this morning, the National Art Gallery. Everything is walking distance; the airport and the stadium about 30 minutes or so from the center of George Town.

If only the Cuban National Stadium had lights.......

wixson7 repped this.