USA announces fall tour schedule

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by the shelts, Sep 16, 2010.

1. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    To be fair its a good test and I'd prefer this to getting killed by the likes of England and Wales. Scotland will be the big game in terms of our mettle.

SCHEDULE HERE is curiously on eaglesxv.com and still not uploaded to usarugby.org.

Portugal vs. USA Eagles
    November 13, 2010 @ 7:00 p.m.

Scotland vs. USA Eagles
    November 20, 2010 @ 7:00 p.m.

Georgia vs. USA Eagles
    November 27, 2010 @ 7:00 p.m.

Our cousins Canada might actually pull off a sweep. There schedule is a four game "if its Tuesday, we must be in Belgium" type tour.

Nov 6th - Canada vs Belgium - Brussels
    Nov 13th - Canada vs Spain - Madrid
    Nov 20th - Canada vs Georgia - Tbilisi
    Nov 27th - Canada vs Portugal - Lisbon

Rather bizarrely the Canadian press release said Georgia are "the perennial European powers " in the official release. Still it should be a good tour for the Maple Leafs.

2. Willber5008

Willber5008 Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see us play a few games that will actually be close (in terms of the score hopefully.) Do the Eagles make any money playing in Scotland from TV revenue or from the tickets sold? Also, any idea if anyone like ESPN3 or FS+ will have the games on TV? Thanks.

3. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read at the beginning of the summer that we would be playing Scotland A. Good to see it will be the Scotland Senior Squad, so our players can get another cap.

4. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The USA eagles website said it would be shown on the internet, not an actual channel. However if anyone who happens to run a tv station calls USA Rugby I'm sure they will be given a very cheery reception.

5. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    That's a sensible tour. One Test vs. a traditional country (who conveniently happen to be pretty weak) and two Tests we should be able to win if we're any good. No crappy A teams.

6. WaltonFire

WaltonFire Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumb question, but as Scotland is playing a test match against South Africa on the 20th (our game is the 19th btw), and I can't imagine Scotland playing the same guys twice in two days, are we even playing the full Scotland team? What is the difference between the "test" squad and the "A" squad. If they are not the same team, how can both count as caps? Thanks.

7. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    You are absolutely right. It will have to be a Scotland A team.

8. whufc_tom

whufc_tom New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Scotland will be a good test for USA. I'm sure you'll see how competitive you are against countires that have rugby as a main sport.

How popular is Rugby in the States? Are there teams, like a professianal league that is televised, similar to the MLS for example?

9. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scotland A Names Squad to Face USA

Scotland A head coach Nick Scrivener has backed his players to exploit their experience of top level rugby and put in a winning performance against USA at Netherdale on Friday night (2:30pm EST kickoff, 11:30am PST kickoff).

The match-day 22 today named by Scrivener and his assistant Stevie Scott boats more than 60 full Scotland caps, close to 100 A team appearances, and nearly 600 outings in the Magners League.

The side will be captained by Al Kellock, the Glasgow Warriors lock who skippered Scotland to a historic series win in Argentina back in June before undergoing knee surgery.

Scrivener wants his men to take full advantage of their collective know-how and prove they have what it takes to beat Test opposition in the first of three Scotland A fixtures to be staged in Gala this season.

He said: “I’m really excited about the team we’ve put together. For what is a pretty young group, there’s a lot of experience in there, and the challenge now is to make it count.

“We’ve said right from the beginning that the whole focus and object of the exercise is doing whatever it takes to win the game, and I’m confident the guys we’ve selected have the ability and the mentality to make sure we do just that.

“It’s fantastic to be able to call on a leader of the calibre of Al Kellock, and I know he’ll set a great example for the younger guys to follow with the sense of purpose he’ll bring to the game.”

Six members of the full Scotland squad for the EMC Autumn Tests have been given the opportunity to push their case in the Borders.

Scott Lawson, who came off the bench against New Zealand four days ago, will start in the front row alongside Geoff Cross, while Joe Ansbro, Jim Thompson, Ben Cairns and Alex Grove all get an outing behind the scrum.

Elsewhere, back-row duo Rob Harley (Glasgow) and Stuart McInally (Edinburgh) are rewarded for their fine form with the Scotland under-20 side last season and their respective pro-teams this term.

Also making the step up from the under-20s are back-rower David Denton, scrum-half Henry Pyrgos and stand-off Duncan Weir. Lee Jones, the Edinburgh wing who excelled with the Scotland 7s team at the recent Commonwealth Games in Delhi, will make his first A team appearance.

Scrivener confirmed: “All these guys have really put their hands up with the way they’ve played at age-grade level and how they’ve managed the step- up to the Magners League.

“They know there’s a real opportunity for them on Friday to take another step forward, and I’m really looking forward to seeing them contribute.”

Eight players who were involved in the A team’s last outing, the IRB Nations Cup in Bucharest five months ago, are in the 22 for the USA game. Thompson, Cairns, Blair and Traynor all have another chance to impress, as do Fraser McKenzie, Mark McMillan, Jack Cuthbert and Edinburgh captain Roddy Grant.

There could be a first Scotland representative appearance for Tom Ryder, the Saracens back-five forward who spent the first part of this season on loan at Glasgow. Steven Lawrie, the former Edinburgh hooker who has played for the national under-19, under-21 and 7s teams, has been selected on the back of encouraging displays with English Championship side Doncaster Knights.

Scrivener confirmed: “The USA match is a great opportunity for any number of players to show they can come together as a group in a pretty short space of time and win a big game for their country.

“There’s been a very clear link between the As and the senior side in the last couple of years, so there’s no shortage of incentives for the boys to deliver.

“We can’t wait to head down to the Borders and get cracking. We’ve watched the USA’s [recent] games against Saracens and Portugal, and there’s no doubt they’ll be tough opposition.

“It should be a really good spectacle for supporters to come out and watch, and with admission being free, hopefully we’ll get a really good crowd in like last November against Tonga. The encouragement the fans gave that night meant a lot to the players, and it would be great to hear the same again on Friday night.”

15 Jim Thompson (Edinburgh)
    14 Joe Ansbro (Northampton Saints)
    13 Ben Cairns (Edinburgh)
    12 Alex Grove (Edinburgh)
    11 Lee Jones (Edinburgh)
    10 David Blair (Edinburgh)
    9 Mark McMillan (Bath)

1 Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors)
    2 Scott Lawson (Gloucester)
    3 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh)
    4 Fraser McKenzie (Edinburgh)
    5 Al Kellock (Glasgow Warriors, CAPTAIN)
    6 Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors)
    7 Roddy Grant (Edinburgh)
    8 Stuart McInally (Edinburgh)

SUBSTITUTES
    16 Steven Lawrie (Doncaster Knights)
    17 Kyle Traynor (Edinburgh)
    18 Tom Ryder (Saracens)
    19 David Denton (Edinburgh)
    20 Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors)
    21 Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors)
    22 Jack Cuthbert (Bath)

10. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rugbymag.com/news/international/internationalnews/play-on-premiers-in-galashiels.aspx

"Play On" Premiers in Galashiels

The Worldwide premiere of the movie Play On will be held Thursday, Nov 18 in Galashiels, Scotland.

The film is about Borders Rugby and how a play of that culture finds rugby redemption in the USA in Kansas City.

The Premiere will be attended by Scottish rugby legends as well as current scotland and USA Internationals who are in Galashiels for Friday's USA v. Scotland A match.

This is the first ever premiere in the Scottish Borders. Members of the cast and production crew will be flying over from the States and Scottish Rugby celebrities are being invited to attend this special night, which will also include a Q&A session at the end of the screening.

Pavilion Cinema manager Andrew Poole said: "We're delighted to be presenting this. Rugby plays an important role in Borders culture and putting rugby and cinema together is an opportunity not to miss."

Play On will be available to view through RUGBYMag.com starting in December.

11. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rugbymag.com/news/national-teams/men/clever-wants-eagles-to-learn-from-portugal-game.aspx

Clever Wants Eagles to Learn from Portugal Game

By Alex Goff (Ian Muir photo)

The USA men's national team will release its starting lineup tomorrow, with certainly some changes expected as much to get some players some rest, others some time, and others the opportunity to show what they can do at specific positions.

Still the squad is reflecting on Portugal and using those lessons to address Friday night's effort against Scotland A.

"I was pleased to get the win but was not satisfied with the overall team's performance," USA captain Todd Clever told RUGBYMag.com. "We had some mental breakdowns and our discipline let us down at times."

Scotland A will be a tough test. These are Scottish players hoping to break into the full test squad - something that might seem a strong reality given Scotland's performance of late.

"It's all about improving and I think we are going in the right direction," said Clever. "Hopefully we can improve and put a better performance together on Friday night, and more importantly next week for the Test and IRB ranking game vs Georgia."

12. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no on professional; some players receive stipends from their clubs, a couple of the very best players in the top league were paid here and there, but we're amateur; travel is a major issue because at the top or right below the top level, unless you're in California (where rugby's most popular) or the Northeast you have long road trips for your league

popularity is growing a bit though, the RWC next year will have some games televised, the collegiate national 7s was televised on NBC this year for the first time and will be next year as well; it's not like it's going to be challenging even soccer though any time soon

13. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rugbymag.com/news/national-teams/men/parallels-between-scotland-a-saracens.aspx

Parallels Between Scotland A, Saracens

By Pat Clifton
    (O'Sullivan was pleased with his defense Friday. Ian Muir photo)

The Eagles four matches on their November Tour should really be split into two categories; full rankings test matches and other. Friday’s 25-0 loss to Scotland A, like the London bout with Saracens, should be filed under ‘other’.

Against Saracens, the Eagles were on their back foot much of the match and coach Eddie O’Sullivan was pleased with his defense. Against Scotland A, the Eagles having suffered three yellow cards? The same.

“I thought our defense was magnificent. We had to work very hard playing a lot of the game down numbers,” said O’Sullivan. “We worked very, very hard and we didn’t give up anything easy. If we hadn’t gotten the yellow cards it’s a reasonable debate to say they wouldn’t have picked up those two (second half, game clinching) tries, you know?”

Also like the in the Saracens game, O’Sullivan experimented a little bit with his lineup.

“It was never my plan to go in four games and put our best team on the field in all four matches. I wanted to try and develop the squad, and I wanted to try and win the ranking test, so if I was going to do that I have to give the other guys the run at some point in the tour, and we had two games and one of those games was tonight,” said O’Sullivan.

“We started people like Tai Enosa who has never started at fly half before tonight. Colin Hawley started his second game at fullback and some other combinations, so that was always part of the plan. I had to factor that into my thinking.”

For the Sarries, O’Sullivan started brothers Tuilevuaka in the midfield. The two had never played next to one another, believe it or not. This time, he went with a different midfield altogether.

“We had Paul Emerick tonight, he hadn’t played in the center in a while, with Andrew Suniula,” O’Sullivan said. “I wanted to look at that combination, and it worked pretty well. Just wish we had more ball for them.”

Pate Tuilevuka was on the field, however, at wing. Standing about 6’5”, Pate is a looming figure near the touch line.

“I’m trying to develop midfield players and see if they can play in the back three, so it gives us more options in selections and benching players,” O’Sullvan said.

“The whole point of putting him out there was to see how it went. I got a lot of information out of the game. I’m disappointed that we lost. I’m never over the moon if we lose a game…but I got a lot out of the game as far as watching players. Overall, there was some stuff that was good and some stuff that wasn’t so good.”

The Eagle round out their tour Nov. 27 against Georgia, in a rankings match, one O’Sullivan wants badly to win. Perhaps the 22 he chooses for that one will tell us which experiments he thought worked and which ones didn’t.

14. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.americanrugbynews.com/artman/publish/eagles/Eagles_head_for_Eastern_Europe.shtml

Eagles head for Eastern Europe

USA’s smashing defense will take on hosts Georgia in Tblisi on November 27 in what should be a highly physical and lively affair between two rising rugby nations.

The Eagles will have a shot at going three for three in their 2010 international test matches while Georgia, fresh off a bruising win over Canada in which their tackling technique was questioned by Canada coach Kieran Crowley, continue building towards RWC 2011.

Eagles Head Coach Eddie O’Sullivan and this staff have had over a month with the squad while on Tour, working to identify the squad for next year's extravaganza in New Zealand. Georgia will be a good litmus test for the Eagles as they prepare for the world’s largest stage.

The front row will have had much to think about since the Eagles’ last match against Scotland ‘A’ but the personnel O’Sullivan has called on can certainly put on and hold a shove. Mate Moeakiola, Phillip Thiel, and Shawn Pittman are a formidable front row.

Second rowers Samu Manoa and Hayden Smith are a mobile pair of powerful locks that will provide bulk behind the front row. The loose forwards are big, strong, and very experienced. Louis Stanfill will guard the blindside while Eagle captain, Todd Clever, will look to attack the openside and any Georgian who dares wander there. Inaki Basauri starts at eight, moving from his openside post to the base of the scrum. All three loosies have a way of making things happen both on attack and defense.

Tim Usasz and Nese Malifa are a comfortable pair of half-backs that will look to ignite an Eagle backline full of power and pace. Andrew Suniula is always looking for a midfield defender to run around or through and starts at inside center with the experience of Paul Emerick at outside. Emerick and Suniula linked well against Portugal and scored two tries in five minutes. The Eagles that will run on the field Saturday can attack from anywhere, but the back three can be absolutely electric in counter attack.

Chris Wyles will start at his usual full-back spot where his boot and nose for a counter should be a major concern for Georgia. Takudzwa Ngwenya is known for his speed and his confidence in contact has made him a favorite of his professional club, Biarritz. Ngwenya has also been prolific for the Eagles, scoring seven tries in sixteen caps. Kevin Swiryn is a steady defender and visionary attacker who will start on the left wing for the USA.

O’Sullivan has named a strong and experienced bench he can call on if need be. Veteran Eagle prop Mike MacDonald has a shot at American history on Saturday. If he gets a run against Georgia, he’ll get his 60th cap for the USA and would become the second Eagle to ever achieve that feat.

Fourteen of the Eagles who will suit up on Saturday were involved in the Eagles’ last match against Georgia in the 2009 Churchill Cup match in Glendale, Colorado. The Eagles came away with a 31-point win against the visiting Georgians - who were admittedly missing several players - and saw both Tim Usasz and Paul Emerick score tries.

Georgia has proven they are tough side to play at home as Canada learnt the hard way last weekend. A strong Canadian team was defeated by eight points in the end by the Georgians. The win over Canada moved Georgia up a spot in the IRB World Rankings and they are now nipping at the heels of the Eagles, who lie 15th.

Saturday's teams in Tblisi:

USA: 15 Chris Wyles (Saracens), 14 Takudzwa Ngwenya, 13 Paul Emerick (Ulster), 12 Andrew Suniula (Chicago Griffins), 11 Kevin Swiryn (Agen), 10 Nese Malifa (Glendale), 9 Tim Usasz (Nottingham), 8 Inaki Basauri (L’aquila), 7 Todd Clever* (Suntory), 6 Louis Stanfill (Mogliano), 5 Hayden Smith (Saracens), 4 Samu Manoa (San Francisco Golden Gate), 3 Shawn Pittman (London Welsh), 2 Phillip Thiel (Life University), 1 Mate Moeakiola (Bobigny 93).
    Replacements: 16 Chris Biller (San Francisco Golden Gate), 17 Mike MacDonald (Leeds Carnegie), 18 Scott Lavalla (Dublin University), 19 Nic Johnson (Denver Barbarians), 20 Mike Petri (Sale), 21 Taivalu Enosa (Belmont Shore), 22 Setareki Tuilevuka (Montpelier)

Georgia: 15 Basiki Khamashuridze (Aia), 14 Irakli Machkaneli (Maccon), 13 Irakli Chkivakdze (Aia), 12 Tedo Zibzibadaze (Perigueux), 11 Lekso Gugava (Lelo), 10 Lasha Malaguradze (Beziers), 9 Irakli Abuseridze* (Auxerre), 8 Beasrion Udesiani (Maccon), 7 Giorgi Chkhaidze (Montpellier), 6 Simon Maisuradze (Villeurban), 5 Levan Datunashvili (Figeaque), 4 Shalva Sutiashvili (Massy), 3 David Kubriashvili (Toulon), 2 Akvsenti Giorgadze (Castres), 1 Goderdzi Shvelidze (Montpellier).
    Replacements: 16 Iuri Natriashvili (Farul Constanta), 17 David Zirakishvili (Clermont), 18 Viktor Kolelishvili (Lelo), 19 Giorgi Nesadze (Montauban), 20 Bidzina Samkharadze (Farul Constanta), 21 David Kacharava (Nice Cote d’Azur), 22 Merab Kvirikashvili (Figeaque)

15. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rugbymag.com/features/opinions/eagle-eye-what-if-why-and-how.aspx

Eagle Eye: What If, Why and How

An Eagle Eye Column by Alex Goff

What if?
    What if is a phrase the USA team might be thinking a lot about over the nest 24 hours. Losing to Georgia on the last play of the game certainly will prompt those sorts of feelings. Georgia will jump over the USA into 15th in the World. And the Eagles will be left wondering.

What if referee Peter Allen had decided (as we've seen many referees do in the past) that the long down time taken by Georgia players shouldn't all count toward injury time? What if Allen had penalized Georgia for a rather obvious early shove on the final scrum; something which happened twice?

What if Lou Stanfill had been better able to control the wobbly ball squirting out the back of the USA scrum? What if Todd Clever, instead of running straight ahead when he caught that ball near his line, had tried the riskier move of passing to a player in a kicking position?

What if the USA players had shifted left fast than they did - the Eagles could be seen identifying the wide open spaces on their left, Georgia's right, but too late to stop the try.

Why?
    Why did the USA have such trouble scoring tries on this tour? They touched down just four times in four matches, and were held tryless in two games?

Why do the Eagles still struggle with getting quick ball out of the breakdown? That is something we at RUGBYMag.com identifies as a big issue for this team. Quick ball allows dangerous backs to exploit gaps. The USA has back who can do that ... if they get quick ball.

How?
    How can we get our USA players together as a unit more often? How can we improve on the scrum performance, especially when the players don't assemble as a unit more than a few times a year? How do we help bridge the gap for players from club or college to international?

16. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FpwvtI_Vg8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FpwvtI_Vg8[/ame]

http://www.rugbymag.com/news/nation...rsial-end-as-georgia-wins-in-89th-minute.aspx

Controversial End as Georgia Wins in 89th Minute

By Alex Goff (Todd Clever and Merab Kvirikashvili react differently to the end of the match)

Georgia pulled off a dramatic and improbable victory over the USA in Tiblisi Saturday, scoring in the 89th minute to win 19-17 over a brave Eagles team.

The USA led for most of the match and played a tough-minded game in a match that saw little open, running rugby.

In fact the Americans led throughout the second half until right at the end, when the Georgians turned the ball over following a USA scrum on the American line, spun it wide and scored. Flyhalf Lasha Malaguradze, without whom Georgia would have been nowhere near the USA, hit the conversion for the 19-17 win.

The game seemed in USA hands as the clock ticked past 80, then 81, and on and on. But the referee is the sole arbiter of time, and referee Peter Allen of Scotland allowed the match to go until 90 minutes before blowing the long whistle, this despite a series of scrums that looked to be the final play. The USA players could well feel a victory was snatched from them today.

The USA opened up the match hoping to avoid penalties and scrums, and prompty started the game committing a penalty. Georgia kicked for lineout, won it and drove, but USA defense held.

But the first big scrum didn't go well for the USA. Just inside their half, they were penalized, and Beziers pro Malaguradze was good for the three points.

The USA restart went directly into touch and Georgia seemed on the brink of really capitalizing early, but the USA defense held against, and did for almost the entire game.

The game was punctuated by some massive tackles and plenty of fractiousness between the players, and the USA suffered for their emotion at one point - Hayden Smith earned a yellow card for a high tackle.

At 18 minutes the Eagles got their best attacking move yet and crashed up the midfield. Georgia stops them, but commits a penalty. Nese Malifa lined up the 30-meter attempts, but missed.

Georgia came back from that, got a series of penalties, and Malaguradze punished one for a 6-0 lead.

The USA attacked right off restart and got close to Georgia line. The Lelos were stressed but a run by Swiryn is stopped.

Georgia got a scrum but their attack downt he weakside was snuffed out by flanker Lou Stanfill. Tim Usasz pounced on the ball for a quick lineout and the Eagles put together one of their few pieces of open running. Andrew Suniula crashed up the middle and quickly offloaded to a looping Todd Clever. Clever drew his man and fed Taku Ngwenya, who burst down the right side from the Georgia 22 to about six meters from the line, garnering the attention of at least three Lelos.

Right on his hip was Paul Emerick, who took Ngwenya's feed, shrugged off the tackle around his neck, and scored. That made it 6-5 at 30 minutes.

From there the game really started to go the USA's way. However they failed to get any more tries. The Eagle lineout worked well and allowed them to attack, but Goergia slowed ball down effectively (and to referee Allen's satisfaction). Still, Georgia is forced to infringe and Malifa hits the penalty in front of the posts to make it 8-6.

The Eagles received the restart and kick to touch, and from that lineout their swarm in on the Georgia team, forcing another lineout. Americans keep agttacking and from near the 22, with time up on the clock, Malifa hits a sweet drop goal to give the USA a lead of 11-6 going into the locker rooms.

Georgia took the initiative in the opening minutes of the second half, putting pressure on the Eagles and forcing a penalty about 40 meters out that Malaguradze punished without problem. 11-9.

Georgia got another penalty attempt soon thereafter for a silly USA mistake - offisde on a kick. But this time Malaguradze missed. The Eagles did well to pressure from the 22 dropout, and earned a penalty of their own about 42 meters out. This time Malifa was good to make it 14-9.

It was clear at this time that tries were going to be very hard to come by. Georgia especially concentrated on their set piece. That didn't mean they didn't like to run, and a promising run from Lekso Gugava was stymied only by an impressive flying tackle from Taku Ngwenya.

But it also was clear that after any prolonged period of play, a Georgia player would crash to the ground. The Lelos ability to cover the field was clearly suspect, and they looked to slow the game down any way they could. Too often referee Allen was convinced, and stopped his watch far, far too many times.

It was at scrum time that Georgia continued to be strong. Rarely did the scrums end up with free ball coming out for an attack. Instead, it was all the USA could do not to get steamrolled, and often they committed penalties. One such infraction set up a long-range Malaguradze attempt, which the flyhalf converted to make it 14-12.

The Eagles attacked right back from the restart and again put Georgia under duress in open play. Georgia infringed, but a 38-meter attempt from Malifa was just barely wide of the posts.

The USA was still in Georgia territory, though, and kept working the phases. When the Georgia defense held, Chris Wyles whacked a brilliant long drop goal majestically through the posts to get his team's five-point cushion back 17-12.

And that seemed it. The Eagles kept working the phases and held on defensively well past 80 minutes.

At 85 minutes Georgia took a lineout from a penalty, and tried to drive it. The USA defense held. Georgia spun off aorund the maul and then sent it out to the centers. Andrew Suniula was up quickly and appeared to for a knock-on - the ball caroming forward abot seven meters into the hands of USA captain Todd Clever, who caught the ball just in front of the tryline. Clever tried to run ahead and was slammed into the posts. Referee Allen called a scrum five meters from the line. USA players Chris Biller and Kevin Swiryn tried to argue the scrum should be further back, because that's where the initial knock-on happened, but were rebuffed.

When the scrum was set, Georgia clearly drove early, but Allen simply reset the scrum. Finally when the scrum occurred as Lou STanfill, playing No. 8 after Inaki Basauri went off injured, tried to control the ball at the back scrumhalf and captain Irakli Abuseridze pounced on it and managed to squeeze it back in the snuing ruck. Wing Merab Kvirikashvili spun the ball wide to Lekso Gugava, who was unmarked and scored easily.

Kvirikashvili hit the conversion and that was (finally) the final whistle. The USA players were desponded. Chris Wyles clearly wanted something from the officials ... possibly arguing that Kvirikashvili's high kick might have missed. The players all congratulated each other, but the pain on the USA faces, and jubilation on those of Georgia, was clear.

USA 17
    Tries: Emerick
    Pens: Malifa 2
    DGs: Malifa, Wyles

Georgia 19
    Tries: Gugava
    Convs: Malaguradze
    Pens: Malaguradze 3, Kvirikashvili

USA Eagles
    1 Mate Moeakiola (Bobigny 93), 2 Phillip Thiel (Life University), 3 Shawn Pittman (London Welsh), 4 Samu Manoa (San Francisco Golden Gate), 5 Hayden Smith (Saracens), 6 Louis Stanfill (Mogliano), 7 Todd Clever* (Suntory), 8 Inaki Basauri (L’aquila), 9 Tim Usasz (Nottingham), 10 Nese Malifa (Glendale), 11 Kevin Swiryn (Agen), 12 Andrew Suniula (Chicago Griffins), 13 Paul Emerick (Ulster), 14 Takudzwa Ngwenya, 15 Chris Wyles (Saracens)

Reserves:
    16 Chris Biller for Thiel at 64 3:23 AM 11/27/2010(San Francisco Golden Gate), 17 Mike MacDonald (Leeds Carnegie), 18 Scott Lavalla (Dublin University), 19 Nic Johnson (Denver Barbarians), 20 Mike Petri (Sale), 21 Taivalu Enosa (Belmont Shore), 22 Setareki Tuilevuka (Montpelier)

Georgia:
    1 Goderdzi Shvelidze (Montpellier), 2 Akvsenti Giorgadze (Castres), 3 David Kubriashvili (Toulon), 4 Shalva Sutiashvili (Massy), 5 Levan Datunashvili (Figeaque), 6 Simon Maisuradze (Villeurban), 7 Giorgi Chkhaidze (Montpellier), 8 Beasrion Udesiani (Maccon), 9 Irakli Abuseridze* (Auxerre), 10 Lasha Malaguradze (Beziers), 11 Lekso Gugava (Lelo), 12 Tedo Zibzibadaze (Perigueux), 13 Irakli Chkivakdze (Aia), 14 Irakli Machkaneli (Maccon), 15 Basiki Khamashuridze (Aia)

Reserves:
    16 Iuri Natriashvili (Farul Constanta), 17 David Zirakishvili (Clermont), 18 Viktor Kolelishvili (Lelo), 19 Giorgi Nesadze (Montauban), 20 Bidzina Samkharadze (Farul Constanta), 21 David Kacharava (Nice Cote d’Azur), 22 Merab Kvirikashvili (Figeaque)

<< Back

Reader Comments
    yellowcard @ Saturday, November 27 2010 9:26 PM Flag Inappropriate
    Did the official forgot which version of football he was officiating? Adding 10 minutes to a 40 minute half seems absurd on the surface. Was there anything to warrant any sort of significant inury time? If not, sounds suspicious. Why not just switch ends and play the second period of extra-time?

nellyvan @ Saturday, November 27 2010 4:15 PM Flag Inappropriate
    The US had many chances to close this game out in the last 10 minutes but couldn't get it done. Losing our own lineout a few times towards the end of the game stands out to me. The forwards really did deserve this game, they busted their butts and looked good against a much bigger Georgian team.

17. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rugbymag.com/news/national-teams/men/minutes-count---tracking-eagle-playing-time.aspx

Minutes Count - Tracking Eagle Playing Time

By Alex Goff (Paul Emerick is congratulated for his try against Georgia)

You can read a lot into actions, and putting aside for now whether you feel the USA played well or not on tour (most observers are mixed on the issue), have a look at who Head Coach Eddie O'Sullivan has been using.

We at RUGBYMag.com tracked the minutes of every player on tour, giving us an idea of who O'Sullivan likes, who he isn't sure about, and who changed his mind.

Players who played every minute of both test matches:
    Todd Clever, Nese Malifa, Taku Ngwenya, Shawn Pittman, Lou Stanfill, Andrew Suniula, Kevin Swiryn,Chris Wyles

Mostly no surprises there. Malifa is right now the only test flyhalf the USA has, as O'Sullivan is still pondering whether Tai Enosa, Volney Rouse or someone else should be the backup. The back three of wings Ngwenya and Swiryn and fullback Chris Wyles are set. O'Sullivan loves Lou Stanfill's versatility and grit, and has established Shawn Pittman as the man at tighthead (at least until Will Johnson recoveres from a broken hand).

Andrew SUniula is a bit of a surprise, as there's been a huge amount of competition at center. You'd have figured Pate Tuilevuka would have garnered some time at #12, but he didn't. Could it be the question is settled?

Players who play no minutes in the test matches:
    Pat Danahy, Tai Enosa, Eric Fry, Colin Hawley, Zack Test, Pate Tuilevuka.

Some of these are obvious. Fry, Hawley and Enosa are very young. Danahy was a mid-tour replacement. As we said, Tuilevuka is the surprise here.

Fewest minutes:
    John van der Giessen 28
    Pat Danahy 80
    Tai Enosa 98
    Mike MacDonald 123
    Seta Tuilevuka 130
    Phil Thiel 137

This number can be misleading, because Thiel, for example, played all his minutes in tests, while Chris Biller got more time, but more in the fiendlies. Van der Giessen broke his cheekbone in his first match. Danahy played one game, against Scotland A, after replacing van der Gissen. So those kind of don't count.

Enosa is clearly young and being eased into a role. O'Sullivan needed to get Malifa on the field against Saracens, leaving Enosa only one start, against Scotland A.

MacDonald came back into the squad after being dropped earlier this year. His minutes haven't been good, as he has been a late-game replacement in test matches. When Johnson comes back, will Big Mac be squeezed out? He remains a huge question-mark for this team.

Seta Tuilevuka started the Portugal test, but was replaced after 50 minutes. He didn't see any action after that. Minor injury or a reflection of his form?

Most minutes:
    Paul Emerick 280
    Inaki Basauri 277
    Andrew Suniula 250
    Nese Malifa 232
    Samu Manoa 216

This list we find fascinating. Manoa clearly played his way to more minutes and had a strong match against Georgia. He is rumored to be lining up a pro contract in Europe, and certainly the numbers reflect his improved play. Remember he was on the outside looking in on the USA Selects in the ARC, and played his way onto the starting lineup there, and from there onto the Eagles. That's a great story.

Malifa, as we mentioned, is really O'Sullivan's only flyhalf option at present, and as such dominates minutes there. Suniula, as we mentioned, seems to have latched onto the inside center position. We'll see how things go once Junior Sifa comes back.

The top two we find most interesting. Inaki Basauri came into this tour as a total unknown. Yes, he'd played for the Eagles before, but not for O'Sullivan, who acknowledged he knew little about the loose forward. Basauri looked to get time in the friendlies, but ended up starting in all four matches. Stangest of all was Saturday, when on a squad that had five players who have played No.8 internationally or professionally, it was Basauri, who has never done so on even close to a regular basis, who played at the back of the scrum.

What that means we're not sure, but it's interesting.

And finally all that brings us to Paul Emerick. We've covered the Emerick redemption before, but the numbers show this in clear relief. Paul Emerick started against Saracens but was on the bench against Portugal. He looked to be on the outs, and yet came in as a sub, sparked the USA to victory, and followed that up with wire-to-wire performances against Scotland A and Georgia. He scored the USA's lone try against Georgia (Emerick had two on the tour, everyone else had two total), and made the try-saving tackle that prevented Georgia from scoring on that final scrum (Georgia scores soon after but Emerick still stopped them on the first attempt). It added up to the former University of Northern Iowa All American playing the most minutes of any USA player.

It just seems like anytime anyone counts Emerick out, he comes back. And in some small way the numbers show this.

Final notes: Some players saw their time dwindle: JJ Gagiano, Scott LaValla, Seta Tuilavuka. COuld be because O'Sullivan liked other players better, or made choices based on the opposition.

In a class of his own is Mike Petri, who captained the USA against Scotland A, but can't seem to buy minutes in the full test matches.

USA Player Minutes November 2010
    (Note, we counted 90 minutes for the Georgia game)
    Mins
    Player Saracens Portugal Scotland A Georgia
    Paul Emerick 80 30 80 90 280
    Inaki Basauri 80 52 80 65 277
    Andrew Suniula 0 80 80 90 250
    Nese Malifa 62 80 0 90 232
    Samu Manoa 55 0 71 90 216
    Mate Moeakiola 6 60 80 61 207
    Louis Stanfill 25 80 0 90 195
    Chris Biller 80 8 80 25 193
    JJ Gaganio 80 20 80 0 180
    Mike Petri 80 8 80 5 173