USA All Time Record against Ghana

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by leppercut, Mar 2, 2011.

1. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So i was checking out the 1999 u-17 WC and noticed we lost to Ghana on pk's. So my question is what is or record against Ghana in all competitions? Have we ever beaten them? I know the senior teams have only met twice, in WC with losses in each for the US. What about Youth championships?

Thanks

2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit repressed memories

3. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    We beat Ghana to Freddy Adu...that's a win right??? ;)

Damn...infracting myself for the threadjack.

4. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so in turn Ghana has been taking it to us ever since, go figure.:rolleyes:

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we were ever "owned" by another nation, it'd be Ghana. two world cups, back to back, same score. we could beat them in a million friendlies but they will always be able to look back at when it counted in 2006 and 2010.

6. HaitianAmerican

Jun 18, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about it, I have a friend who live in the states from Ghana. The moment we lost that game in 2010, I never heard the end of it and I was so confident we'd win. They couldn't possibly eliminate us twice and they did just that. :cool:

7. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it sucks to be sure anytime an opponent "has your number" but at the same time this is international soccer where you're facing opponents every 2,3 or 4 years so it's not like they're beating us 2 or 3 times in one year.
    You can also add to the fact that Ghana is a pretty damn good team despite what some on hear like to preach.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Ghana ain't San Marino. Losing to them isn't a disgrace.

We played two very tight matches with them in the last 2 WC's.........and Ghana won in the end.

If you compare the two rosters right now................I'd even give a slight edge talent-wise to Ghana. We have the edge in goalkeeping, although they also have a premier league goalkeeper in Kingson.

People can argue that we have a better midfield. Maybe. They can start such guys as Muntari (Sunderland), Ayew (Marseille), Annan (Schalke), Asamoah (Udinese), Derek Boateng (Getafe), Agyemang (Udinese), Asare (Utrecht), K-P Boateng (Milan), and on and on. Oh.....and Appiah's still in Serie A. And what about Michael Essien? He's taking a "break" from their national team I believe.

The blow us away at forward. No contest. We don't have anybody like Asamoah Gyan on our roster at the moment. I'm a big fan of Jordan Ayew of Marseille as well.

9. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, you don't have to preach to me how good they are, they're a really good bunch of players with some outstanding vets and up and comers yet people say stuff like "they were very beatable", lol.
    What the hell does that even mean?
    We were very beatable too, in fact, we DID get beat.
    Too much FIFA Soccer on the xbox if you ask me.

10. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't thik anyone here doesn't think Ghana is good. That's not what the topic is about. We are in about the same level as Ghana is, but obvs they are better than us.

11. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You honestly don't know what that means?

If so, it means that we weren't big time underdogs. If we would have gone up against Spain or Germany or Brazil nobody would have said they were very beatable.