US young star Eddie Johnson training in MU

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Shaster, Nov 6, 2004.

1. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, look. THere are no "can't miss players". Comparing one player to another is not fair to either player, especially when one is older than the other. Just because he's Possibly going to train with Man Utd doesn't mean ********. Man utd isn't signing him. Training alongside Ruud and Smith will help him a whole lot, if they can get along.

Other than that. This is thread should basically die here.

2. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    EJ is a grown-ass man who doesn't play video games.

After destroying the ManU defense, with the only capable defenders against him being Spector and Ferdinand, EJ will get signed and start up top with RVN and Spector will start in the back and then the US will win the 2006 World Cup by edging out Brazil in the final on an EJ goal and Spector shutting down Ronaldo and Ronaldhino (he'll mark both simulatenously), and then Cobi Jones will explode, literally, all over the field.

3. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Can you tell me what part of Eddie Johnson's game determined that he cannot reach a level of Henry beside he is an American?

Before 2002 World Cup, I translated a Chinese Sports Magzine article that rates best U-23 talents in the Cup who can influence their team. In that list, Donovan was rated at 5th behind England's Owen, Camerron's E'to, Ireland's Robbie Keane, etc. So many people blasted it out by saying Donovan cannot polish Cisse or Savila' shoes, etc.

If you consider Eddie Johnson's numbers with National Team this year--4 goals in 44 minutes, can you find any one better in the world now?

4. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, we all agree that Johnson is a huge talent and could be huge. But you also have to consider that he could hit the skids and amount to very little (Kirovski). That's just the nature of the sport. There are dozens of young guys around the world with that kind of potential, and yet there are only a few guys at that Henry-Sheva-Ronaldo-Ruud etc level. Whether Eddie can reach that level is dependent on a huge number of variables, most of which will work against him. It's nice that there are magazines and analysts who rank him highly, but in the end the game is played by the footballers. I really like what I've seen of him with both Dallas and the Nats, but understand that there is a long long way to go before he can have the "world-class" tag.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Currently, Eddie doesn't even come close to qualifying for a UK work permit with his 2 caps. And MLS has been able to develop a pretty good relationship with the younger players and has tried to make it possible for them to go to Europe, when it's a good offer. Eddie has a choice between playing two more years for not much money or playing a couple more years for quite a bit more money. Either way he's probably going to be getting a big money transfer to some European side. I expect EJ to sign a contract extension.

6. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scoring 4 goals in 44 minuts is a record any forward would be proud of but you do have to take in account the team he played against. Eddie Johnson probably has the most potential out of any of the forwards the US currently has save Edson Buddle. But it is rather unlikely he will reach the level Henry is currently at right now.

To be honest, i don't really see two many parallels between the two's playing style. Really the only connection you could make is that both are fast and that's about it. Johnson is a good finisher with both his feet and his head however from what i have seen from him, he isn't very good at making chances for himself and his teammates. Outside of the penalty box, he really doesn't make as many runs as he could with his speed. He often opts for the safe possession pass and leaves it at that. I haven't seen him take free kicks or corners before so I can't really talk about dead ball ability. He has good touch most of the time, but he isn't that great with the ball at his feet. Really the player he reminds me most of is Didier Drogba of Chelsea.

7. DirtyDTown

DirtyDTown New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dallas
    I think the comparison the Henry has taken a life of it's own. The fact is that EJ has a huge upside. That in no way means that his skill will catch up with his athletic ability,(which is every bit as real as Henrys, his athletic ability I mean) but if it does the guy is going to be special.

I believe that was the original point.

8. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have watched EJ play for a number of years now and he is just now starting to show his potential. I think that this year is only the beginning of his development. He played this season at forward without a supporting striker, left wing and attacking mid this season that was worth a dam. I will not compare him to Henry since EJ can actually head the ball! He has the physical tools that you can't take away such as leaping ability, pace(he makes Owen look slow) and size (6'0, 180 pounds or 11 stones, 4 lbs). He does need work on his first touch and long range passing but he was showing signs towards the end of the season that he was making progress in these departments. Don't discount his ability because he plays in MLS. I have predicted this in the past, the US will win a World Cup before England wins their second.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Not to jump on anyone's throat here since the above is a fairly oft repeated line but it's really meaningless.

When MLS started in 1996, Henry was still a teenager and Wayne Rooney and Christiano Ronaldo weren't even that old. The reason that they had developed to a superstar status and no similar American born player followed suit is due to the quality of the US soccer system and not its age.

The simplest means to developing an EPL/B-liga/SerieA quality player would have probably involved a combination of Bradenton and/or Euro soccer academies and/or Euro minor leagues to a much greater extent than Landon Donovan and Taylor Twellman. Those who didn't make the cut in Europe could then come (back) to MLS. Those who did make it in Europe would have hopefully brought in some revenues to the US Soccer to repay for their education in Bradenton.

The hierarchical Bradenton-to-MLS-to-somewhere-in-Europe-by-the-age-of-26 system swallows 2-4 extra years of development that could have been popping out quality players faster than any other country in the world, sans perhaps Brazil.

Now, I know people will be jumping on me for writing this but hey ... this is my opinion and I'll stick to it until persuaded to change it.

10. Jeff Wyatt

Jeff Wyatt New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Let's not forget there is only one striker like Henry in the world right now, and that's Henry.

Ruud, Rooney and Ronaldo aren't near him in quality... maybe ronaldo a few years ago.

Yes EJ has a lot of upside, will he realize his potential... well if he does the US is going to be sitting pretty at the forward position for the first time in its history.

11. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ is the future forward for the Nats. Donovan will be an attacking center mid and McBride, Casey and Ching don't have the quality to keep him out. He offers us something we have never had, a quality forward with PACE!

12. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to jump on you, but what better system are you advocating? I really don't understand what you mean by "a combination of Bradenton and/or Euro soccer academies and/or Euro minor leagues to a much greater extent than Landon Donovan and Taylor Twellman."

13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Oh, come now! Beasley and Donovan are 22! And while Donovan may have wasted a year or so here, he also wasted a year of his time with Bayer reserves.

And furthermore, they were both members of Bradenton's inaugural class, when it was still something of an experiment.

14. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    Not to change the subject too much, but you must not be watching much soccer recently. Owen, Adriano, Eto'o, Shevchenko, and, yes, Ruud (among others), are all playing better than he is at the moment. Ronaldo, Raul, Ronaldinho, Totti, even a Robben or Tevez all are "near him in quality," at worst.

As far as EJ goes, he is a great physical specimen, no doubt about it -- sort of an American Adriano without the skill and nose for goal and shooting and general ability, but strong, fast, quick, etc. If he can get a work permit, or goes to Holland or France or Italy or Germany, he has a shot at becoming a world-class player. But also, going to Europe is a risk -- no guaranteed playing time like he would have at MLS, having to settle in a different continent with perhaps a different language, might get transfered around without ever finding a team, etc. I think that he should go though if he gets a chance -- hopefully the success of most of our recent exports will continue with him.

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    http://www.fifa.com/en/regulations/regulationlegal/0,1577,2,00.html

VI. Protection of Minors

Art. 12

1. International transfers of players under the age of 18 shall only be permitted under the following conditions:

1. as a general rule, when the family of the player moves to the country in which the new club is located for reasons that are not linked to football

2. within the territory of the EU/EEA and in the case of players between the minimum working age in the new training club's country and the age of 18, suitable arrangements are guaranteed for their sports training and academic education by the new training club. For this purpose a code of conduct will be established and enforced by the football authorities.

2. The same principles apply to the first registration of players under 18 who have a nationality other than that of the country in which they first request to be registered.

No American player under 18 with only American citizenship can play for a Euro team. I think a player could train with a club but he could not sign a contract; so that club could only get compensation for training, not a transfer fee, if he signs with another club. If you had the choice of say going overseas for three years to train with a club with no chance of playing time and for no money and no contract or staying in America going p-40 with MLS, signing for $500,000 a year, getting first team minutes for three years then leaving on a transfer for a big club, what would you do?

16. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, does anyone have a link confirming this rumor? I'm not coming up with anything...

17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen much of E.J. for the Burn, but I saw both of his recent US Nats appearances. I was even there to witness his hattrick against Panana at RFK. The kid has obvious potential and a skillset that could be very useful for Manchester United. I see no reason why we couldn't take him on for some training at least, and even see what he looks like on a short term contract and let him play some reserves matches...

It's easy to judge potential, but it's hard to pick the ones who will be able to make it though....

18. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I don't have a link confirming the rumor but I can tell you that it is true lol. The real question is whether Eddie's having to foot the bill himself or whether United paid his way. If United pays, look for Eddie to become a Red within the next 2-3 years. If Eddie has to pay, then I wouldn't think too much of it.

19. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A guy that runs an independent FC Dallas site, www.3rddegree.net/ , got the info. about EJ training with Man U from the coach's mouth. I know it's not the first time either because EJ trained with Man U before he signed his P-40 contract. If Man U did sign EJ this coming summer, he would have to end up in Belgium playing for Royal Antwerp due to his lack of caps.

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    And how do you know this, oh so knowledgable one?

21. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Jeez - enough of this "Eddie Johnson is this year's orange" and crap comparisons. The kid is good, it's exciting to have a young US player training for a second time with a quality Reserves side, and let's see how he develops.

Anyone going on about how he's as good as Henry was at this age or whatever - stop it. It's just silly - not that he is or is not as good (not the point). The point is, as Motter implied, that it takes *time* to see whether the player lives up to his potential. Four goals in two matches for the USMNT and 12 goals this season in MLS are all impressive - yes. But when the kid scores 12 again next year and four more goals in his next 10 matches for the USMNT, then let's talk about how he's living up to the potential, please.

If you fail to understand this concept, then I'm sure you also fail to understand why teams sign dozens and dozens of players each year that you never hear about or why baseball drafts go down to almost 50 rounds...

22. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Yeah but playing in MLS is at least the triple A level of baseball not the rookie leagues or single A. Johnson is now a prospect that the Major Leagues clearly are interested in. I expect to see him at a mid table team in a big 4 league after 1 more similar season to the one he's already shown he can produce. I'd guess his transfer value at 2.5 million, more if he has the caps by then to go to england.

23. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :rolleyes: Juan Eduardo Esnaider. Go look him up.
    Or, a more famous name. Denilson. At the tournament in Toulon, I believe, he was supposed to be the next biggest thing since sliced bread. He even became the most expensive footballer in the world on a move to Real Betis. And he's still dribbling into corners in Sevilla.
    Being the leading scorer at the U-20 WC is not necessarily indicative of future club performance. At all.

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    The fact that there are millions of young soccer players in the world, but only 5 truly special strikers right now. Its not that he doesn't have a good chance because he's American. Its that he doesn't have a good chance to reach those levels period.

3 goals at home against Jamaica and suddenly he's great? Give me a fvcking break.

25. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003