US Women's version of Rossi: US Player on Brazil's U20 team

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by Jumbo1, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Jumbo1

Jumbo1 Member

Feb 19, 2000
    TN.
    The US women could have a situation that could resemble Rossi on the men's side. Looks like Leah Fortune was born in Brazil to parents from the United States. An article on ESPN Soccernet indicates that she was born in Brazil and lived there until she was 2, but then moved back to the United States. She is playing with Brazil on their U20 team and talks about how she enjoys playing for Brazil. She is part of the ODP Program, for Region II, but I don't see that she is part of the National Team pool. It's not clear if she is comparatively as good as Rossi but it would be interesting if the US looses a player they want, to another country. I know a number of players have played for Mexico and other countries, but they weren't going to make the full US Women's team.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=518405&cc=5901

2. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks, really and also they don't have any pictures, but apparently she's a green eyed blond hmm...

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was more interested in the fact that a Chicago youth team has a partnership with a club in Brazil. Is that common, particularly with girls' teams?

As you say, there have been a number of women with dual citizenship playing for countries other than the USA. I think this player probably falls into the same category in that she's able to play for the Brazilian U20s but is not talented enough to make the USA U20s. Good for her for finding a place to play. It is good for the game overall that she seems to be building fan support for Brazilian women's soccer.

She hasn't reached the point where she's actually cap tied (or at least not according to the article). If, long term, she is good enough to make the USA squads the money and Fed support is better here. Where she ends up playing her college ball will tell a lot, imo.

4. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God bless you bufflo soldier.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    her father coaches the u.s. u17 girls team. so there is no way she is being overlooked. maybe she's not good enough to play for the u.s.

from the article:

6. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    The US was practically begging the supertalented Rossi to wear the US shirt. This is very different and nothing new on the women's side. As the other countries around the world start to develop their women's football program, more and more of these US kids will be wearing foreign uniforms. Mexico, Philippines are doing it now. More to follow since players don't develop at the same rate, a lot of unwanted US kids would end up as talented as the USNT players but will never wear the US shirt.

7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is she heading for college?

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a video of Leah playing with Brazil--well doing a flip throw. Good for her. If she can help improve the popularity and acceptance of girls' and women's soccer in Brazil, I'm all for that. I will be interested to see where she commits to play college soccer. Anyone know who's recruiting her? She is a junior, right?

I am really interested that the club has a youth club partnership in Brazil (Team Chicago Brazil), according the the soccernet article. Anyone know more on that? I didn't see anything listed on the Team Chicago page. Do other girls clubs have such affiliates?

Her dad, Hudson Fortune, has a bio on Team Chicago club page.* It says he was the head coach at Bradley prior to starting Team Chicago. The USSF site lists Kazbek Tambi as the U17 head coach and Tad Bobak as the U16 coach. I didn't see assistants listed for either team, which is disappointing.

*Warning, take care of your retinas--wear sunglasses. No webpage should have a bright yellow background and blue font.

9. scottmsg

scottmsg Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Rockport, IN
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to cbg2004's spreadsheet on the college forum, she's committed to Clemson.

Class of 2009 Recruiting

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    One word:

Jailbait.

DISCLAIMER: Don't Google "jailbait" unless you want to see some really disturbing things that will have the FBI knocking on your door.

12. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek::eek:Why didn't you tell me before!!!!!!

*is shot by FBI*

13. soccer king 123

soccer king 123 New Member

Apr 13, 2008
  14. soccerdadbras

soccerdadbras New Member

May 2, 2008
    There is another American girl playing for the U 17 Brazil national team.
    Adriana Rodrigues a midfielder player from Florida just play the South America tournament in Chile for Brazil and she got 3 caps 2 as starter {Peru, Argentina}.
    She was born in US with Brazilian parents and she is also a Florida state ODP.

15. SoCalSun

SoCalSun Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 18, 2004
    Southern California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may sound mean, but...

did you read this before you clicked on the "Submit Reply" button?

I'm sure the above quote is not truly oxymoronic, but it sure comes close.

16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    somehow it makes perfect sense to me. i don't see anything even faintly oxymoronic.

17. soccerdadbras

soccerdadbras New Member

May 2, 2008
    I agree but I disagree when you say talented, there is another American girl playing for the U 17 Brazil national team and she is a very talented and skillful midfielder player from Florida, Adriana Rodrigues is a Florida state ODP player.

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    the question wasn't whether she is talented and skillful. it was whether she is talented and skillful enough to make the u.s. team. this is a very large country with untold numbers of girls playing soccer and quite a few playing it with talent and skill. many of them will not be good enough to make the u.s. team in their age group, and may choose to play for other countries. leah and adriana are probably in this group.

19. Blobfish

Blobfish Member

Sep 30, 2011

[​IMG]
    Her flip-throws are AWESOME:thumbsup:

20. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Whatever happened to her? I remember seeing her throw ins a couple of years ago.

21. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Newsouth probably knows if she is still good enough for the full Brazilian NT or if that career is over.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She got hurt, she was playing with the Charlotte Eagles women's team last time I heard about her.