US women soccer players want equal pay to US men's team.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SUDano, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #101 thedukeofsoccer, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    No, we're talking about team sports vs. individuals. It's apples to oranges, or even apples to chicken sammiches.

Also, there is a difference in what draws interest between the two sports you mentioned. MMA almost parallels sport. Many who participate in it don't consider it a sport (see Nate Diaz). Many who follow it aren't sport's fans otherwise. All they care about is fighting/MMA.

Many people were drawn to Ronda because of the myth that could be created she was an indestructible force. Almost some sort of super hero that people immaturely want to believe in (nobody is really indestructible, we're all human). And you're being naive if you don't think at the time many women and even some men bought into the notion she was one of the better fighters in the UFC around her weight class, regardless of gender. You heard that contention regularly. It's a combo of gender pride and the influences of a p.c. culture. I follow MMA and am a rational human being, so I knew the contention was absurd, but many of the casual fans who move the needle did not. The U.S. women are an outstanding team at their level, but hardly an indestructible force (and certainly not one in a fighting spirit). Wasn't their previous World Cup win all the way back in '99?

The other reason people were drawn to Ronda was her individual personality. That sort of individual trait blends when you're dealing with a team because there are 11 players on a side at one time, and 22 on the field. Even if there was some sort of anomaly within a women's team, let's say Alex Morgan is, what percentage of a game do you actually see her on the ball? 5%?

The caliber of play differential is men vs. adolescent boys (so to speak), and people watch team sports mostly for caliber of play, which is reflected in the ratings/attendances and in turn payout differentials between the Men's and Women's World Cups. That was my point. People will watch USWNT over u-17 boys because at least that's the highest level among their gender which they can relate to. U-17 boys would be several down, and at some point it's weird to get excited about.

Btw, it's somewhat immaterial that the U.S. men aren't one of the driving forces in the world of international football. If the top 15 squads died in plane crashes simultaneously, they would be one of the driving forces from a domestic and worldwide standpoint, and as is they are one of the necessary opponents, the Washington Generals, so they get their piece of the pie. A smaller fraction of a much larger pie.

2. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I don't believe I wrote that two parties could not renegotiate so I'm not sure what you're referring to. It stops being a typical renegotiation when you get the courts involved, as now it is no longer between the two parties.

As to my 3rd paragraph, your comments are facetious but expected. From reading your first sentence, one would assume that on the internet there aren't multitudes of databases pertaining to salaries, financial statements for hundreds and thousands of companies across every industry, etc.

Also, yes I'm referring to market value as that is void of subjective thought for the most part, unlike worth/economic value. Your example is hilarious as using that logic nobody would have any idea of how much they should approximately make. Only the CEO has all the data, we're all left to their whims, hoping they throw us a bone.

Your comment stating that the CEO's having that data may explain why they are paid multiples of the average employee? That's legitimately one of the most absurd things I've read in a while. I'm sure the average worker at McDonald's would have potential of being CEO, if only they had the data. LOL. What a statement.

3. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #103 CMeszt, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    That assumes that the revenue brought in is anything close to what the players are claiming. The fed is retorting that the women's revenue numbers aren't anything close to 50/50. For once, I believe the USSF.

Plus, "performance" is far more difficult to compare between the two teams. FIFA has trouble even filling a 24 team WWC with teams that don't embarrass themselves. It's a good thing that more countries are putting resources into their women's teams nowadays, but still the level of competition for the WNT isn't all that high. If anything the WNT has had trouble not hurting themselves with unforced errors through the last decade and a half. Their performances in 03 and 07 were inexcusably bad. They also got taken to a playoff to even qualify for the '11 cup. With the level of talent on the WNT, that's inexcusable.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Women's team should negotiate hard for an increase. I contend they are projecting at discrimination and the men's team as a ploy. I also think performance should play a role when discussing aspects of a pay scale. And the men's performance is better. Not results, but performance.

5. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The PGA Tour and LPGA Tour are different organizations. This is about USSF having a salary gap between two groups of employees.

deuteronomy and Scotty repped this.
  6. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which field in MLS is unplayable due to unsafe conditions again?

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Which pitch did the women play on that was unplayable due to unsafe conditions again? Refresh my memory.

I mean, you do remember the condition of I don't even recount how many pitches the full national team played on in away qualifiers...

(Though I'll warn you right now that even though I can hear you're spoiling for a fight, I've got about 5 more minutes and I'm done with this.)

8. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hawaii game which wasn't even played. They had to inform the federation of the conditions. Do you think that would happen with the men? Not looking for a fight, just facts you aren't providing.

9. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    In South America, the Women's World Cup aired on DirecTV. I have cable TV, so I couldn't watch any of it. FIFA is responsible for that.

10. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Now THIS I do agree with and the WNT has a legit beef. Having the WNT play on proper surfaces for national team games is just proper professionalism, and their failure to do so when the men get grass for every NT game run by USSF is inexcusable.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Oh, yeah, now I remember. You're right about that. See my comment above about the club-like schedule, but they should've known better than to schedule there.

And ask the NFL Players Union what they think about that. They play football on that same carpet every February. Or the NCAA. (I don't think they should have to, either, for that matter. And if you take off your gender-colored glasses for a moment, you might see two much stronger examples of sport leagues/organization that takes thier exploitation of their players to a clearly greater level.)

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Nevermind that they're not always GOOD grass pitches...

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know they're grasping at straws when one of their arguments are, "we work just as hard as the men".

In sports, you're the product. The customer doesn't care about how much effort went into putting a product on the shelves, just how much value it has to them.

Neuwerld, Pl@ymaker and benficafan3 repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really hard to make a comparison with the football teams because the bulk of the problematic surface was on added turf for the soccer pitch. It was a specific problem mostly caused by trying to expand the playing surface without adequate turf.

15. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    FIFA is responsible for wanting to make more money? What are you trying to say?

16. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Two different groups of employees. They are not the same. Try not being disingenuous, it may help your argument. Does your company pay every employee in every department the same?

17. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    They work as hard as men yet still get beat by U-17 Boys teams. Sucks to suck.

Pl@ymaker and CeltTexan repped this.
  18. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    I thought that their goal was to promote football (and take over the world).

Putting the Women's World Cup on just one Latin American TV provider is a terrible idea.

19. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Promote football? Football is the most popular sport in the world. The men already did that.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Write more papers and lose your grant money and see how fast your revenue generation becomes an issue.

Pl@ymaker and benficafan3 repped this.
  21. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    The US men didn't, and haven't. And won't anytime soon.

Question -- are the NTs funded solely by their own revenue? I'd always assumed there was a big pot of USAA money with funds coming from everywhere -- including all those little girls playing on a U7 team somewhere.

22. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Irrelevant. Other men did so they benefit from it.

23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1930 - First Male World Cup : 1991 First Female World Cup
    That is 7 Female World Cups thus far ladies with Canada 2015. The 7th Male World Cup was Chile 1962.
    I trust in the true sense of equality and equal pay, you will accept what the average male footballers received for their play in 1962?

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funding of USSF and the national teams comes from all sources -- game revenues, sponsorships, courses, youth player registration, other national teams playing matches in the US, TV. They may allocate it internally for their own purposes, but the money comes from many places.

25. Drew1830

Drew1830 Red Card

Jul 20, 2014
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2015 was a banner year for the women's team. Won the World Cup and played in a long victory tour from August to December to capitalize on their publicity. The men had an awful year and were criticized heavily in the press and in fan circles.

They each played 13 home dates. The average attendance?

Men: 40,163
    Women: 27,793

As someone who believes in equal pay for equal work this lawsuit is preposterous.