US women soccer players want equal pay to US men's team.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SUDano, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the influence of the World Cup is huge, but I also think there's a large gap between American fans of the national soccer team and American fans of soccer in general. The energy and fervor that is generated by the NT during the World Cup hasn't always translated to or generated from a love of week-in-week-out club soccer, and that's the gap. In addition to the having held the best-attended WC, I believe more Americans attended the WC in 2014 than visitors from any other country. So there's no doubt there's passion and engagement for the NT at the World Cup, but I don't think you can translate this linearly to a passion / engagement for soccer generally. The discussions around the USWNT sorta underscore this.

2. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Well, this kinda fizzled out.

I do have to say that the twist at the end where the women already make more than the men was unexpected.

The moral of this story: never, ever, ever, ever, ever let politicians dupe you into putting your cred on the line for them. Ever.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What politicians?

NWSL average attendance was 7300. That's with little advertising and reportedly mediocre ownership. Next best-attended league, England's FA WSL, averaged about 1000. Seems a decent amount of passion and engagement in the US for women's soccer.

4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USWNT has never shown any particular care for NWSL, and their arguments did not reference NWSL, and the closed shop they sought to maintain was certainly not about respecting the talent that was proving itself in NWSL... but, yeah, now NWSL matters.

By the way, the politicians who sought to make soccer a platform for advancing the cause of politically defined "fundamental transformation" of society as a whole... as opposed to the actual good of woman's soccer, and those who play it, in this country.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    To be fair, the increase is almost entirely predicated on the political and legal situation.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Actually, per the article, the investors are looking to get out from under USSF's control and involvement.

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Don't think those two goals aren't very tightly coupled.

9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Looks like the revenue from the 2016 Peru-Costa Rica match in Orlando just got reserved for useless consumption at another future appellate date.

10. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yeah, all of this kinda went out the window when we all found out that the women already made more than the men.

I’ll make sure I never attend/watch a USWNT game or purchase anything related to their product again.

Marko72 repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Have you previously?

12. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yes, I have interacted with the program across multiple fronts.

13. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    im sorry they hurt ur feelings so much

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Good. I'm glad they lost. Stand for the anthem.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    um what?

sitruc repped this.
  16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What.gif

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good explanation of why the women lost their case.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  20. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    to inject reality into the conversation one direction, it's a pandemic and is either team playing for tickets yet

to inject reality the other direction, this is a PR nightmare when they have more than enough revenue to pay the women, and then they will be negotiating with a US soccer fed headed by Parlow

the arguments you were making were for the audience of non-player foundation running MBAs and economists who used to be running the place but are no longer in charge, a women's soccer player is, they have (or at least had before the pandemic) more than enough money, and the generous deal they did on everything but the money suggests they want the problem to go away, with the final financial shoe to drop when the new CBA itself is agreed

i can't see any reason parlow tries to perpetuate the pay gap that causes the PR nightmare. you're trying to stoke up a semi-sexist conversation that she doesn't need to keep alive. we have plenty of money, assuming the pandemic winds down, the women will get paid. parlow has to represent her current employer's interests, so the store will not be given away, but the door will push through easily when they arrive for negotiations.

but by all means, gather the shock paddles, we must revive the heartbeat of what were already shaky arguments where we look at per game attendance or revenues and ignore that over a longer schedule they end up same revenue place

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #3497 juvechelsea, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    to be clear, the court decision was that they had negotiating power in the last CBA, and made tradeoffs that worked out as lower pay. that is basically enforcing the contract. the contract is about to expire. at that point the "but you made tradeoffs" excuse is dead and we are in a fresh CBA. i assume parlow felt bound to play out the old CBA final year once they won the court case. she wouldn't be protecting US soccer if she didn't.

however, new deal, no more "but you agreed to....." excuses, backed by an olympic run and potential strike threat......meets a former women's soccer player who gave them everything else they wanted. the only complicating factor is what the finances look like with the virus. i assume they made some of their TV money when games went ahead, but didn't get the ticket sales. but if the pandemic goes away, the women demand a "back to normal" agreement or an extension of a year until hopefully things do get back to normal.

what you're missing is this was male MBA/economist types who made the old CBA and defended the lawsuit. when they show up to negotiate this time it's going to be a woman player run fed who wants the PR crap over and perhaps even thinks it's in US soccer's interests to treat its more successful team at least equally.

the women have to begin mounting their PR campaign because they cannot know what to expect when the two sides sit down. so they make clear they want at least equal pay. but later in the year when they sit down i think we can safely assume it will be more friendly and less based on shaky MBA-speak. she will talk them down from asking for more money than the men. they will agree to equal terms. the sexists will trot out their theories but ignore the pile of cash the USSF was sitting on while making such arguments. USSF can afford to make the problem go away, and based on similar total revenues and the trophy case disparity, easily justify it. which will have the side benefit of acting like a non-profit that is supposed to support men's and women's soccer pipelines equally, actually does so.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Curious question , did the women receive their salaries in full during the year with the pandemic ?

deejay repped this.
  24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    1. Who the hell are you addressing? You keep using "you" but appear to be talking to the abyss.
    2. Where do your sentences begin?

billmead and yurch10 repped this.
  25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #3500 juvechelsea, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    do you have trouble reading? there are GED courses for it. otherwise, it's fairly easy to follow and i don't have to type like you want. i am me, you are you.

there is a fairly large set of people who make the same rote abstracted arguments about the economics. that is "you." the thread was started by someone already setting up the same complaints about the women wanting more money in the same rote terms. he is neglecting that was a court case about an existing CBA and not a resolution of whether women should/will be paid the same next time. the court case resolved through 2021. i cannot see parlow extending the same nightmare into the future or framing the debate in the same terms as cordeiro.

at which point, yes, the large "you" set preparing for an abstracted economics argument are the ones really yelling to the void. because come this next negotiation parlow is going to give them relative equality. the door they are pounding on will push through easy. end of discussion. waste of breath.