US women soccer players want equal pay to US men's team.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SUDano, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    of course, I did not mean to imply otherwise. Just to add another perspective that does not support their claim.

2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I get the same thing from the company I work with

what is amazing is the women are saying only one line actually matters...the judge disagreed and I can't imagine any judge agreeing.

Michael Phillips and jaykoz3 repped this.
  3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just described why people hate Wahl.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CPC should just put out a press release saying that USSF is willing to offer the women the same deal as the men.

It should add that they'd rather pay the women more, including the NWSL salaries, but if the women want the same, so be it.

Of course this wouldn't include CONCACAF or FIFA prize money but there's no need to mention that in the press release.

Then the press and politicians will crow about how great this is and what a victory it is for WNT players, the liberal media and women in general.

This is how you win a media battle, big banner headline, economical with the details.

5. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can get something similar in the Marine Corps with a few clicks on a website. It lays out all my benefits and pay and the value attached to all of it.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if economical equals lying with the details.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so economically expressed that all detail is lost to enigma.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Belgian llama has come to the rescue.
    "Economical with the truth" was a phrase used by a British Civil servant in New Zealand court over the extradition of one time MI5 agent Peter Wright. He meant lying.

But I see no problem with USSF offering the women the same deal as the men.

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Everybody knows the real answer to this and the women want to avoid it as much as possible. The men don't really care about the bonuses and those can be slashed. I doubt that the current bonus structure was seriously negotiated.

10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    uh yeah the men's team ONLY care about the bonuses those are what they don't want to be slashed you literally have it backwards.

11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    The men already paid. Playing for the flag is it’s own thing and gets recognition for bigger things.

Who are these women paying to litigate for them? Jesus they’re stealing fees.

12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The English men's team gets paid 2,000 pounds/each a match, something like that. And for the past 13 years they've donated that money to a charity.

It'd be cool if our guys did something similar. At least the ones that have enough money on 100K/week when that bonus isn't doing much for them.

13. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    what in the world are you talking about

no...nothing is bigger then the world cup

this is all a job for these players both men and women

in a perfect world none would be paid at all they'd all 'do it for the flag'...but even soldiers in war get paid. athletes play to get paid as their job its not a charity gig.

14. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I’m just saying the men are already paid well at their clubs. The women are in a negotiating position of considerably less leverage with the federation because that’s their pot of gold, the US shirt, the World Cup.

DeMarcus Beasley can show well in a friendly against Scotland and Rangers will sign him and pay him. There’s no woman like Darlington Nagbe who can sit back and make a nice living playing for Columbus and politely decline to play for the US because he prefers not to fly to banana republics in the mid-week.

The women need not have thrown so many rocks all around their glass house.

15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Disagree. Horan was making a good living at PSG and chose the USWNT contract. There are plenty of US eligible women playing overseas making a living who will never get a chance with the USWNT.

Hegerberg walked away from the Norwegian NT because she felt they weren't getting the respect they deserve. It can happen.

16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Ok that’s fair. The crux of this thing is the vast gulf in FIFA World Cup bonuses between the men and the women. I’m not sure how USSF can be held legally responsible to make up the difference from their own revenue.

Kejsare, puttputtfc and Paul Berry repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, the women should be suing FIFA, not USSF. Instead the USSF is having to make drastic spending cuts to fund its lawyers.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    The other crux is the contracts are what the women wanted. It's been shown that contracts and guarantees were more important than bonuses. The reason is simple. The gulf between the haves and have nots in NWSL/USWNT is staggering. Sydney Leroux has commented on this as well.

As a fan of the USWNT, the crux for me is the women who are not getting a chance. I believe Bledsoe has been our best keeper for a couple of years but has zero caps to show for it. The only player I find on our roster who is irreplaceable is Ertz.

deejay, TOAzer, Kejsare and 3 others repped this.
  19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It has to be based on percentage of revenues rather than set amounts of money.
    If it was USSF would be bankrupt in 2 cycles.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    And they have done such a good job that the US women's team is so good it remains the top team in the world.

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    not well enough to turn down 6 figures of pay

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that has a lot to do with Title IX.

USSF
    Total revenue in 2019 = $104,727,219
    Total expenditure in 2019 = $131,804,574

The single biggest expenditure was $82,623,188 on national teams.

France received $38 million in 2018 for winning the World Cup.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    USSF has nothing to do with Title IX.
    'Title IX protects people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that receive Federal financial assistance.'

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'm saying that helped women's soccer more than anything USSF did.

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You think that Title IX helped the USWNT succeed on the world stage more than USSF? That's strongly debatable on my end.