US WNT quaterfinal match

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by uncchamps2012, Jun 23, 2015.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    China seems like a better match up than Columbia for the U.S.A.
    Rapinoe and Holliday being out could be just the disturbance needed to wake this team up. If Ellis doesn't play HAO with two midfielders out, at least as a sub, I have got to wonder why they picked her for the team. We keep going up the middle. HAO can run the flank and cross good balls in for better chances than all the long balls. Give Abby a rest. 4-3-3 - press, Morgan , Leroux up top..

goaleemama repped this.
  2. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I want abby to get a half and we will find out who can deliver some good crosses now. HAO will play if she is healthy.If we play a 4-3-3 then we will need speed at outside mid and I remember her crosses from end line can be deadly.

goaleemama repped this.
  3. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Who served up the header for Alex Morgan in the Olympics v Canada ?

Semblance17 repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    x-posting my post from the thread in the WWC forum:

By the way, IIRC in all 3 recent H2H's, the US played a 4-3-3.

The December 2014 line-up was:

Press------------------Leroux-------------Heath (HAO)
    Holiday (Johnston)---Lloyd---------Rapinoe (Wambach)
    Klingenberg(O'Hara)-Sauerbrunn-Rampone-Krieger
    -------------------------Solo

5. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    People keep wanting Press in but she has barely existed in this Cup thus far. Leroux has existed but HARMFULLY, by giving balls away and getting beat all the time, or just not being involved. WHy people continue to call for them over Wambach (who at least can draw opposing player attention to herself, freeing up spaces and other USA players) or Morgan (who just scored in run of play and continues to put herself into dangerous positions) is mystifying and utterly strange. At least if people called for A-Rod I could pretend to understand.

6. thegreathoo

thegreathoo Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Pinoe's a big loss. Today, she basically wrecked Colombia by herself. That pass to Morgan that resulted in penalty and the red card opened it up. That's the kind of magical stuff she does, going back to that pass to Wambach in 2011. 1-2-3, goodbye, out of the blue, wrecked! It's magic! And she creates 4-5 chances like that a game, where she completely wrecks the opponent.

7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Gotta play O'Reilly in this game. Ohai would have been even better, if Jill would have selected her for the roster.
    This is the perfect game for an O'Reilly/Ohai type to be running down the flank and creating chaos. That can help disarm China's so called "organization" on defense by creating all these extra unpredictable variables that can happen when O'Reilly is on the attack and sending in crosses, winning corner kicks, and just creating havoc on the fly. She played great against North Korea (Asian team) in the 2007 WWC. I see O'Reilly being that one x-factor in a game like this. This is the only game in this entire tournament that she can be this worthwhile. But Jill will go with Press on the wing, and Abby & Alex up top.

I'd go with Press and Alex up top, with O'Reilly running down the flank.
    I'd bring in Wambach (for Press) in the 64th minute against a tired China defense in chasing O'reilly/Press/Morgan for the first 64 minutes. Wambach would come in and be a physical match-up that China can't match up with late in the game. Leroux's pace and fresh legs would come in for Morgan in the 73rd minute. Wambach's physicality works best against a tired defense. Leroux's pace and fresh legs as a super sub, same thing.

O'Reilly should be able to go for 90 minutes.
    That girl (along with Ohai) can run for days. Their lungs are special.

O'Reilly is the equivalent of the 2 minute offense (2 minute drill, aka hurry up offense) on the gridiron.
    That's when China's defense is most vulnerable.
    Canada went to their so called urgent 2 minute drill late against China in the inaugural match.
    It led to chaos and a foul called in the box, in enabling the penalty kick.
    Gotta disarm that Chinese defense. Have O'Reilly go on that 2 minute drill for 90 minute.

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  8. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    #8 Plxix, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    The Chinese coach just rented a bus.

9. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    The loss of Rapinoe hurts. She's been the only effective midfielder. The other three have looked like they have been absent. Lloyd is running into Wambach too many times, and none of the midfielders other than Rapinoe have been able to possess the ball, make runs through the middle to get open for service from the defenders or otherwise inject life into the offense.

I would start HAO and Chalupny in place of Rapinoe and Holiday. Even if Holiday had not been suspended, I would have advocated starting HAO. She has big-game experience and has played well in the big games. Both HAO and Chalupny seem to know how to possess the ball. I'd consider Press for Heath as well, as Heath has shown a marked inability to hold the ball and find service ahead.

goaleemama and thfan repped this.
  10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question for me is who is going to take our set pieces with both Holiday and Rapinoe out.

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I'd go with Naeher at this point.
    Jill has done just about everything else leading up to the WWC, might as well put her in to take those.
    Naeher can also replace Rapinoe's role in the midfield. She'll give good effort.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same thought, and I have no idea.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ellis is going to just put Brian & Press into the slots vacated by Rapinoe & Holiday. Unless someone from above her in the chain calls her and says WTF are you playing at. And I don't think that's going to happen.

It is glaringly obvious that KAO or HAO on the flank would help this team. And, like some of the glaringly obvious things Ellis did not do when she was in charge of the U20s, she won't do them now. Like April didn't do some of the glaringly obvious things necessary when she was coaching the team.

lil_one repped this.
  14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy lineup that Ellis won't use but would be super interesting:

Solo
    Kreiger Engen/Rampone Saurbrunn Klinger
    .....................Johnston.........................
    HAO.............Lloyd.................Heath
    .............Press.........Morgan

Slightly less crazy but still won't be seen in the next game:

Solo
    Kreiger Johnston Saurbrunn Klinger
    HAO Lloyd KAO
    ....Press.............Morgan
    ...........Leroux

15. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    My guess is either Heath or Krieger. If Press plays instead of Heath I wouldn't mind her taking the corners since she's not much of a threat with headers.

16. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Either:

4-4-2
    Solo; Krieger, Johnston, Sauerbrunn, Klingenberg; HAO, Lloyd, Brian, Heath; Morgan, Press.

Or:
    4-3-3
    Solo; Krieger, Engen, Sauerbrunn, Klingenberg; Johnston, Lloyd, Brian; Press, Morgan, Leroux.

17. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If HAO plays, HAO as she's taken set pieces for the NT before. If not, Heath or Lloyd.

exref repped this.
  18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    While I still think Colombia was a tougher opponent than China, after watching highlights of their matches they aren't going to be pushovers either -- duh, they are in the second round knockout stage! In looking over their games so far - The Netherlands game looks a lot more lopsided statistically (for China) than the scoreline says it was. (Just like the Canada game does too in reality, but the other way.) They seem to be able to either bunker or attack depending on the opponent.

I would think that with only 3 days rest, Wambach sits this game to start. I will be VERY interested to see if Morgan, after going 90 starts. I hope she does, that but that is a relatively quick recovery for a player getting into match fitness. IMHO, we need at least one of Morgan or Wambach on the field given that Rapinoe is off and none of Heath, Press, Brian or Arod have showed a lot. (I know Press scored, but haven't seen much disruption or creation from her which is what we need.)

19. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I've been very critical of Leroux in the past, but I would start her over Wambach in this match. I think she's due for a big game.

exref repped this.
  20. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say I've seen a lot of Leroux before this tourney, but what has she done to give any indication she should be playing up top instead of Morgan? She's gotten a lot of press, but I haven't seen her do much positive on the field.

21. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, I thought she was very good against Australia -- she made some very good runs down the wing, even turned the corner and assisted on Press' goal. I think that she and Morgan play a similar game, so the decision is which do you value more? Morgan was not match fit to begin with, so Leroux got playing time. Now Morgan is healthy, so Leroux's time will go down. I think if Morgan and Leroux are on the field at the same time we will have a very fast attack (provided someone in midfield can make the right pass....)

imasyko repped this.
  22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I included Morgan in both of the lineups I suggested. In the lineup where I included Leroux, think 433. If you'd rather, think of it as a 4-3-1-2 with Morgan & Leroux as the 2.

23. thegreathoo

thegreathoo Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Our strikers are best suited for crossers, in the box play. Leroux and Morgan resemble Wambach, they are big strong physical in the box players. The good news is they are younger and they have some speed so they can be effective at times penetrating vertically on defenses, as we've seen. That's a great additional benefit. But, that is not their primary strength. They are working on it tho, they are getting better. I credit Jill with this, It's good that this is taking place.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, no. ^^^that is not an accurate description of Morgan. Or Leroux, really.

Morris20, Calci0, Dundalk24 and 3 others repped this.
  25. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Perhaps Lloyd would take free kicks and Brian/Kling the corners. HAO would take the corners if she ever gets on the field.

kool-aide repped this.