US WC 06. Who is going to play Right Mid???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NebUSA, Jun 28, 2005.

1. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Anyone who thinks LD will be playing anything other than A-mid is nuts. And the right mid spot is WAY to open to call at this time.

2. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean these stats from playing A-mid count for something?

13 games
    7 goals
    8 assists

Couldn't we get more productivity out of the position? I mean, he can't even average a goal AND an assist a game.

3. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    Yeah, I am still waiting to hear it too...

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eddie would be a good move. right now i think Ralston is a good choice.

5. dws3665

dws3665 Member

May 30, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I love Lewis because he is an outstanding crosser of the ball and has a great work rate. I put him behind JOB in my lineup, though, because JOB brings a more balanced and all around game. He is a wonderful "back up" to have on the Left side, and one that you would be very glad to see get some action if someone needed rest or took a knock.

The problem is, as I see it, Lewis is only going to be effective on the left flank, and yet we have Beasley who is also going to be effective out there. How do you get them (and JOB) on the field at the same time? I have put DMB in an attacking mid tandem with LD, which would give DMB some freedom to roam and create. It would be just as easy to flip the DMB and JOB positions in my lineup, because DMB is tireless and a strong defender and JOB has natural attacking flair.

The alternate solution, I suppose (in my hypothetical lineup, anyway), is to put JOB at left back in place of Boca, put Lewis at L flank mid, and leave Beasley. I think that's a valid option, but I like Boca's size/air strength at the back for defense.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that was my thinking. I am not Anti-Eddie at all, but we have a surplus of talent on the left. Why can't one of these guys be our R mid??? ;)

6. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's the option I'd suggest as well....move Boca into a rotation in the center with Onyewu and Gibbs, and with JOB on the left. JOB can also spell Lewis and Pablo in the midfield. Somebody has to come off the bench, but that can change based on fitness, availability, and the opponent......

I don't think we're going to see a set line-up for the first three games in the WC. Perhaps only Keller, Cherundolo, Donovan, Johnson and Beasley are the givens each and every game........

7. dws3665

dws3665 Member

May 30, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I agree -- that seems to be Bruce's style, and one the versatility of our athletes affords him: field a team that matches up well with the specific opponent.

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me among the many posters who love the IDEA of a 3-5-2 for the US. However, as I have written in other threads in the past, the US Nat team simply isn't ready to switch to a 3-man back line as the core lineup. It can be a nice option to use in a specific game against a specific opponent, but the US does not have the central defensive depth to make this the regular formation.

To pull off a 3-man back line in a World Cup you need FIVE starting-quality central defensive types. Why 5? In case one player gets hurt and another needs a substitute in a key point of a match.

Right now we have only 4 STARTING quality center backs -- Boca, Gibbs, Oneywu, and Pope. And many BigSoccer posters are losing faith in Pope's ability to start now, not to mention 10 months from now. Berhalter may be OK as a late game sub, but he isn't World Cup starting quality anymore. The youngsters like Marshall and Spector are not ready yet, and don't appear to be on Arena's radar screen as STARTING quality players; the 6th reserve center back, maybe, but not as potential starters.

The 3-man back line also eliminates three key players who are capable of starting on defense in a World Cup -- Cherundolo, Hejduk, and O'Brien. None of these three can play central defense in a 3-man back line. They are nice players as outside backs in a 4-man back line, but they are not suited to start in a 3-man back line.

The 3-man back line is simply not suited to the Nat Team's defensive player depth at this time.

End of tangent, now back to the right midfielder discussion. :)

9. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most posters view Lewis as a near lock for the WC06 roster and as a key substitute or part-time starter. That is hardly a slight on his ability or value to the team.

One of his his "problems" is that DMB is slightly better at left midfield/wing. If DMB gets hurt, Lewis is the logical replacement starter. There is also the potential competition with another quality left-sided player in O'Brien, but JOB is more versatile than Lewis and could play central midfield (attacking or defending) or could play left back. But if my ONLY choice was a (healthy) JOB or Lewis at left mid, I'd have to take JOB.

It is precisely because Lewis is so capable as a left mid/wing, that many posters discuss shifting DMB to different positions. That can be nothing other than a sign of respect toward Lewis.

10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Most people who suggest moving Donovan from attacking mid want to move him closer to the goal precisely because Donovan has proven he can score. Most people have long since given up the idea of Donovan playing right midfield. Arena tried that a few times and Donovan mostly dissappeared from the games.

Other than Eddie Johnson's flurry of goals, strikers who can score regularly have been hard to find for the US. McBride has his moments and is a proven leader, but some people are concerned that he may not be a 90 minute guy anymore, especially a year from now during the most demanding tournament in the world. Other than Johnson and McBride, the options have been very thin. Ching, Casey, and Wolff haven't set the house on fire.

When everyone is healthy, the Nat team seems to have better depth in midfield than at striker. So, the idea of switching Donovan from attacking mid to striker is hardly "nuts". Moreover, Donovan has shown he can play either striker or a withdrawn 2nd forward role very well -- just look at his play for San Jose and Los Angeles, or for the US at the WC02. Again, definately not nuts.

Donovan's strengths are quickness, speed, movement, and finishing. Useful skills as an attacking mid to be sure, but even more useful as a striker.

So, let's say we are in the 2nd game of the WC06 and McBride is gassed from a 90-minute effort in game #1. Do you start Casey at striker next to Johnson and leave Donovan in midfield, or do you move Donovan to striker and bring Dempsey into the midfield? Or bring in Lewis to midfield? I'd rather see Donovan up top and Dempsey or lewis in midfield than have casey or Wolff at striker and Dempsey or Lewis sitting the bench. Donovan fills a greater NEED at striker than in the midfield.

I do agree that right midfield is still an open position at this time. If he stays healthy over the next 11 months, I think Reyna has the best combination of skill and experience to play there. He wouldn't be the classic winger ball-crossing outside mid. But he has played there numerous times in the Premiership, so he can handle the spot for the Nat's. In particular, I like the idea of Reyna feeding speedy/mobile guys like Johnson and Donovan at striker. With two mobile strikers in front of him, Reyna wouldn't need to race down the wings all the time and cross the ball. It's a different way to play right midfield.

Ralston is OK for qualifiers, but I doubt he is WC-level physically. Gavin is still very young. Dempsey is an option, but seems better closer to the goal. Beasley is a real option, playing slightly out of position. Klein? Noonan? Neither is at Reyna's level.

But even Reyna won't be a 90-minute guy there, and in some games he would sit depending on matchups or the need for fresh legs. There is no player in the Nat team pool who stands out at right mid, and that won't change in the next 11 months.

11. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    I agree with most of this, except for the idea that DMB is a better left-sided player than Lewis. DMB is an amazing player, and I feel that he has to be on the field. I agree with the other posters that would put him on the right. His game is more versatile, and his speed makes him dangerous wherever you put him. I think he is better at making those diagonal runs toward the box with the ball than he is at crossing. He can do that from the right.

However, I think you cannot underestimate the value of someone with Lewis' crossing ability. Perhaps it is his specialized skill, which I see as invaluable, that others see has his limiting factor. The ability to put in consistent quality service is an invaluable commodity in the international game, and Lewis brings that to the table. I am not sure that DMB does, or JOB for that matter (thought JOB is the better all around player). Look at some of the goals we scored in Japorea. Lewis to Donovan, Sanneh to McBride. Even recently, Cherundolo's cross to EJ comes to mind.

I feel like Lewis is the one player that, when given the chance, will put in dangerous crosses that puts the defense in tough situations. That has been missing in the last few qualifiers. For this reason, I think Lewis on the left, and DMB on the right.

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i was with you until that last phrase bro.

11 months is a long time in soccer development in a huge country like this. in 11 months someone whose name we do not now know could burst on the scene. it is unlikely, but it could happen.

more likely, in the next 11 months:
    players like thorrington could finally get healthy and return to his terrorizing days down the right side

philipakos could seal the first team position at olympiakos (or whatever team he plays for)

brian west could get healthy again and become the player of the league he's in

gaven could become physically and mentally tough to add to the skills he already posesses

quaranta could continue developing into a first class right mid

and wynne, or a healthy albright could push stevie up into the right mid position because they play so well at right back.

i'm sure there are more scenarios. but those are the ones that just come to me as i'm typing.

right now right mid and left back are hell holes for the usmnt. but in 11 months...?

13. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt that it is possible for someone to step up and take that right midfield role and own it. But I'll just keep playing the odds and assume the recent pattern continues. Right mid was a revolving door since before the 2002 WC. The last guy who really stood out and owned the position might have been Tab Ramos in the mid 1990's. Left back hasn't been too solid for many years either, which is why Hejduk "won" the job at the 2002 WC. :rolleyes:

If someone like Gavin or Quaranta steps up and makes a strong case for himself at right mid, the whole team will be better off. But I'm not holding my breath... :D

Reyna and a couple of rotating subs still has the best odds.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    if that's what we still have 11 months from now we are toast!! burnt toast!!!!!

15. imegu2x

imegu2x New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    NC
    Chris Klein has my vote.

16. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-4-3 lewis and dmb on the same side. This would also take care of our weakness at LB because they would be so concerned with our attack on the left.

17. Steel Keeper

Steel Keeper Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Just because they are concerned with the attack on one side does not mean that they can expose over an over-exuberance of attack on that same side. Roberto Carlos' recent misadventures come to mind.

I don't understand why people find using Reyna at R-mid so appalling. He still is a solid player and has much experience there. Just because he doesn't fit the Beasley, Cristiano Ronaldo mold of the fast, wing-midfielder doesn't mean he can't be effective (see Beckham, David). The best game I have ever seen from Reyna (up there with any played by an American in my life) was his World Cup game against Mexico. He played on the right flank of a 3-5-2 which requires much more fitness and pace than a right midfielder in a 4-4-2. Questions about the depreciation of his skills after 4 years and his recent refusal to play for the Nats is cause for concern. But Reyna can get the job done. Maybe not for 90 minutes of every game, but he will be effective.

In fact, only a few players have the potential to play every minute of every game. LD, DMB, GAM (assuming his recent USMNT form holds), Gooch and Gibbs, Dolo, and Keller. Pablo, JOB, Reyna, Boca, and the rest of the core almost certainly will be subbed out at one point or another. Which means we must have a fit (read: young) and versatile team. This is why guys like Convey, Hejduk, Boca, Reyna, JOB, Dempsey, Noonan have a leg up on making the roster over guys like Ralston, Vanney, Armas, Klein, Mathis, and Pope. They have the versatility (maybe not all of them the youth).

The U.S. will use a number of players at different spots. Who knows, if we were to make it to the semifinals we could see 6 different players in that spot: Reyna, DMB, Donovan, Gaven, Cherundolo, Dempsey.