us vs. them

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by olckicker, Aug 9, 2002.

1. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    The problem with patriotism/nationalism/tribalism is the emotion of love of one's group reaches its peak when there is hatred for another group. Ironically, us vs. them is essential to forming larger tribal units. Otherwise tribe consolidation in the last millennia (clans to city-states to nations and nation-states) would not have happened. Unfortunately, us vs. them is still essential to human unity.

2. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    I gotta stop these late night posts! It was supposed to be a reply to the patriotism thread...

3. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, and I'm sure you have no "us vs them" hatred going when it's Roma vs Lazio, Liverpool vs Manchester United, and the Chicago Fire vs NY Metrostars!

4. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Actually, I don't. If my favorite teams lose, even to rivals, I'm disappointed but I don't feel any hatred. Controlled and nonviolent environments like sports (usually) are perfect places for tribal passions. Yet club and national team loyalties, as one poster mentioned, are imagined communities and it is primitive for intelligent, civilized species to kill each other because "my tribe is better than yours, my tribe is special, our tribe is the chosen people, that land belongs to my tribe" etc.