US vs. Sweden, November 19

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by UnionFreak1, Oct 4, 2011.

1. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a note before all of you judge. The game is scheduled to take place in Phoenix, AZ on November 19, with a kickoff of 6 PM local AZ time. I just want to warn you that when the game is shown on tv, don't be shocked to see a crowd of under 5,000. Why? Because that same day and probably the same time, the state's biggest sports event takes place. The Territorial Cup matchup of U of A/ASWho is taking place in Phoenix on the same day, and likely at the same time. So when you see a crowd of under 5,000, please don't let it judge are soccer culture. If this game had its kickoff at noon, you would likely see a crowd of 15,000+. But US Soccer didn't listen to ANY of are Twitter/Facebook messages, so now they get to embarrass themselves on national tv.

2. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're assuming everybody from that area is going to the ACLMCYIDX Terrier Cup or whatever it's called. I have some hopeful news for you since you're obviously concerned over the soccer game, some people travel from long distance to see US Soccer matches, some people are just fans of soccer and want to go to the US Soccer game, some people like myself from southern california might even consider doing a roadtrip over to Phoenix AZ.

If there are 5,000 fans at US Soccer game, the only thing that is going to be embarrassing is Arizona. USWNT on the other hand will play their best soccer regardless who comes to see them just like they've been doing for the past 20 years.

3. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS Cup is also that Sunday & I have been told that most AO PHX guys are going to LA for the weekend for that. Anyways, here is a little history lesson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Cup

So the Territorial Cup is much more important in AZ than a meaningless US Women's friendly.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the local view, UnionFreak1. It is appreciated.

I agree that this particular time & day were a poor choice by USSF. That's not a new phenomena for USSF scheduling USWNT games. Granted, given the small date window for the game, the tv demands, etc likely tied their hands to some degree. But scheduling at the exact same time as the Arizona/Arizona State football game is, well, poor. They could have done a bit better, me thinks.

5. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
  8. LANDONBUDDLE

LANDONBUDDLE Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    is this game going to be on tv anywhere?

9. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Wow! Thats Huge for the WNT!
    Going to be in Tuscon that week maybe I can drive up!

10. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its was reported last week that the game has sold over 10k tickets.

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    And no one else will see it other than them, because it won't be televised.
    I wish ESPN would at least put it on ESPN-3. ESPN has the rights to it.

12. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'll make sure to document it.

13. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow is this official? That is really unfortunate news. I was hoping at least FSC would televise it... :(

14. madisonroad

madisonroad Member

Jun 20, 2009
  15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hahaha, the Rookie of the Year can't make pool let alone a friendly roster and is stuck on an U23 roster. Oh please, send her to Brasil. $50k should get her citizenship and a position on the NT next to Marta.

What's the deal, Pia? She'll bite into Morgan's time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tew6F87OWxM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tew6F87OWxM[/ame]

Very Brasilian type run I'd say.

16. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I don't think Press could have made a bigger statement this past WPS season. Maybe she didn't show well at camp or maybe Pia simply isn't looking at any new forwards.

I sure hope after the Olympics they will give her some game experience.

17. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If ESPN has the rights to it, then we will have to wait until they sort out their college football schedule first. All the big games have a TBA.

Once they figure that out, then they will find a place for the USWNT game. My guess ESPN Classic.

USSoccer has the Sweden game as "Broadcast TBA(To Be Announced)"

18. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per a tweet from Julie Foudy, ESPN does not have the rights to the game. It's on Fox Soccer to get things lined up.

19. drmoss

drmoss New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Anyone know if there will be an open training session? Thought I saw something about it on twitter but can't find it on the US Soccer website.

20. timetospare

timetospare New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    AA Coruripe
    The only other thing Press could have done would have been to be "White", believe me, if a White Player had the success as Press there would be no doubt she would have been on the National Team. Like Brianna Scurry said, "she came through the back door", and it took some convincing to finally add Box to the team early on. You all can hold a blind eye if you want to, but history speaks for itself. After all Morgan got the bronze boot at the U-20's World Cup and LaRue got the Gold and Offensive Player of the Tournament, go figure, what is the face of Women's Soccer in this country and you say where is the talent.

21. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    The game vs. Sweden will be streamed live on ussoccer.com.

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very happy to hear this.

23. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know anything about the stadium that the game will be played at? For example, is it a big stadium?

24. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge stadium for American football so it's got a 60-70k capacity.