US vs. Nigeria MOTM [R]

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Captain10, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the second viewing, IMO Holden was MOTM by a long way. He defended brilliantly, blocked at least 3 lethal shots right at the 18, and sent dangerous crosses in on set plays. He had a monster game. I think it's not a coincidence that Nigeria's second goal came only minutes after he was subbed out (have no idea why) ... on the side he was defending.

However, here's a poll ...

2. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Im riding shotgun on the stuart holden bus after this tourney.

3. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid is a player. He's intelligent and has skill to boot. After his performance at the Olympics, he should be included in call-up for the next National Team game.

For anyone that wants to keep pointing out *the foul*, it was one play and it was a 50-50 ball right outside the box. He got there 1 tenth of a second later and was submarined by Sibon. Since Stuart fell on top of him, he was called for the foul.

Based on the refereeing in our games, I'm convinced that if it is our player poking the ball and a Holland player does the same thing, no call is made. If Holden had been able to get a foot to that ball, that would have been the end of the game.

If you still think that Holden was not MOTM for the whole tournament, then please identify any other mistake that you can recall he made.

(And I agree with Guzan having been brilliant as well.)

4. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    It was Guzan, he bailed us out time and time again. Without him it could have been 4 or 5 territory.

5. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Guzan. Davies if he had more time. But Wynne is right up there too.

6. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    He was 2 v 1 with Sacha against Holland late in the match, and decided to cross or shoot or whatever the hell it was that he actually did with the ball instead of passing it to the wide open player for the 3-1 and the game over.

He played well, but player of the tournament for us? Are you serious?

7. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuart was definitely the best of the field players (really only Wynne came close), but Guzan was MOTM.

8. CFCkm7

CFCkm7 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

9. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Michael Orozco

10. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I'm going to go with Benny. Not his best game ever, but once he came in the U.S. got going a bit more. The team began to attack and created chances quickly. Being down a man, Benny had a decent showing.

I also liked Wynne, Guzan and Holden.