US vs New Zealand Game Thread 2/11

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by ForeverLOST108, Feb 11, 2012.

1. rohrlich

rohrlich Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Agree with you. We have freedom of speech and expression here; but this "newsouth" is mighty annoying. Why feed the troll?

2. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, we've tried that among other tactics.

3. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Kinda, but I think it was also switching to the 3-4-3 and throwing Syd and Arod up the left (non-Riley) side. That last 10 or so minutes was just chaos, but we just kept throwing speed at them which eventually broke down a pretty tough defense.

4. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    You are being stupid more ways than one.
    Showing replays or not has nothing to do with a goal being scored.
    Did you see the center ref check with the AR before she signaled the goal good? That is how it is done.

Btw, this is a USA Women forum, please take the anti-US crap back to wherever you come from.

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    don't worry. i have more degrees on my wall than you,but i enjoy a good argument. a robbery is a robbery. i don't ask anyone to reply. they do it on their on accord. thank you.

6. Zap9

Zap9 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    baja Arizona
    I so wish she would start Morganing (a la the Captain) after every goal. Would be so much better than Tebowing.

7. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
    having multiple degrees does not preclude you from being an idiot.

8. rohrlich

rohrlich Member

Aug 27, 2011
    especially if it is from some third rate institution in brazil

9. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    I bet you don't.

10. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    wait, what is morganing???

So, what did people think of the game? What changes should be made....

Is it me or could Abby be our Birgit Prinz at the Oly's..

despite that horrible turnover. I like Ohara in back..try it some more.
    I do not like Buehler and Amy L next to each other...ouch.

I don't like Lloyd and Boxx starting together.

I like Cheney in the middle (she had an off day)

I'm not sure HAO is any better than Arod or Rapinoe on wing.. (rapinoe is lacking some defense)

11. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, now... don't feed the troll...;)

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I think it was a reference to a thermometer...

13. Zap9

Zap9 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    baja Arizona

14. soccersarah

soccersarah Member

Oct 23, 2002
    I have always liked O'Reily, but she is fairly predictable in her play.

This has been a common USWNT strategy for a long, long time now. Because the team is really fit, they just have to wear them down and then score on them in the last 5 to 10 minutes.

15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baby (Morgan) Horse - nothing else to say

[​IMG]

16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or how about that Baby Horse stomp like the one against Italy?! (If you've forgotten it's on YouTube)

17. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Great stuff at the end but overall that was a dud display. Erratic and sluggish. I'm glad it wasn't televised.

The midfield needs to be sorted. Some players didn't show any fire out there. I also seriously hope Pia's successor doesn't think Buehler is Rampone's heir apparent.

18. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. She's new to the position, so you have to expect some cringe-inducing errors, but she has the potential to be a good defender and definitely brings a much needed offensive threat from left back.

19. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    HAO and Rapinoe were OK. They didn't have spectacular day because they ran into tough competition.
    ARod on the wing looks better and better. She has skills and speed out there. She was much more productive out wide than she was up top.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The finish was a bit cruel finish for NZ: they couldn't kill the game off. Gassed at the end, only 2 subs, nobody could match Rapinoe's renewed energy up the right. Rodriguez & Leroux were a maelstrom in NZ's 1/3. Don't let USA just keep pumping in crosses!

The scouting report on Morgan will get a little weird: "runs past with speed, good with her head" :D

NZ meant this game as a measuring stick all along: so what's the measurement? Their midfield was good, their forwards were active and created trouble, but still their attack is lacking just a bit to create clean goals (which is an endemic refrain). Their defense was sound, other than all those crazy deflections and hard shots that magically found Bindon's chest without her even having to move. They can't rely on repeating that.

USA looked like we were on mental cruise control for about 60 minutes. We've got some of the same old problems to clean up. O'Hara has discovered a new one to fix :D Our shape looked disjointed until we subbed our "technical players" in. Wambach isn't fast enough to beat 2 young defenders -- still her heel, or just age?

New Zealand doesn't quite look on Canada's level (just because Canada has Sinclair, and nobody else does). They've already shown they're on a par with Mexico (2-2 for their first WWC point).

21. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #babyhorse trending on twitter and the game wasn't even televised! :D

22. angrybluebaby

angrybluebaby New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Leroux - best thing that happened to Morgan

23. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Still hard to judge at this point based on the competition. NZ brought a lot more quality than the whole of CONCACAF (sorry, Canada). I think our attack and our wide play are fantastic now and they really flourish in the 4-2-3-1 (no idea why we came out w/ 442 today) with Cheney in the middle and ARod/HAO/Pinoe interchangeable on the outside. I'd like to see some new blood work in to the "2" part of that formation (Edwards, Bock, Averbuch) for the Algarve Cup. The defense is still shaky, but reliable, non-porous holding mids make for a less exposed D.

I'm still not sold on KO at LB, not so much because of anything she's done specifically (and she had a brilliant tackle in this game), but I just have a problem taking a square peg and jamming it into a round hole. O'Hara is a quality attacker and I admire her willingness to do what the coach asks, but we should've found a permanent solution to this problem by now. Seriously, are there any prospects at LB or are we looking at this being the revolving door position for the next decade?

I agree with soccersarah that HAO is reasonably predictable in her strategy, but still proves very tough to defend. Good move, though, from Pia to put a much different player in Rapinoe on Riley later in the match and I think this points to the versatility and depth of our wide play right now. Also agree that our fitness is often the decisive element to our victories.

24. alexz99

alexz99 Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I think it's time for you to admit that Morgan is legit...she is more than a sub, she can go the distance..

25. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001