US vs Mex HDnet viewing party on 4/28?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ggayle, Apr 19, 2004.

1. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it was announced that this friendly (4/28/04 @ 5:30pm) is going to be shown on HDNet, I've been toying with the idea of organizing a viewing party at Ricky's in San Leandro.

A couple of points about this (especially for anyone interested).

Ricky's is the only sportbar listed in the Bay Area as having HDNet. None of the Brits have it and I've been told Green's is closed.

When I went to drop off Quakes schedules and a poster, they had advertisments in Spanish that they were broadcasting the WC 2006 South American qualifiers. I also found out that they showed the satellite only broadcast of the US/Mex Olympic qualifier. Combined with the wonderful reception we got last season. I'd really like have a gathering again there sometime this season. He's really trying to cater to the soccer crowd.

The big drawbacks are...
    The game can be viewed on Telemundo, and kickoff is at a non-work friendly 5:30.

There's also a chance that the Sharks might be playing. I'm sure if they are, there will be a hockey crowd there.

Anyhow, reply to this thread and let me know if there's any real interest. If so, I'll get the ball rolling.

Guy

2. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    i'd be interested, went last year, had a great time, got lost on the way out. local telemundo showings potential drawback. have to say i'd be 50/50 right now. largely game-time decision. how helpful is this post to your efforts? none...

cheers,
    battch

GO QUAKES!!!

3. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it does help. I'm not as worried about actual numbers at this point just whether people care enough (even the wishy-washy :) ) to make this effort worthwhile.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game will also air live on Fox Sports World.

5. tacos

tacos Member

Aug 5, 2003
    London
    Greens on Polk&Green in SF is definitely not closed. I've seen that rumor mentioned before on BS but there is no truth to it. However, getting them to show soccer in the middle of the NHL and NBA playoffs might be a tough trick to pull off.

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if it's broadcast live on Telemundo and FSW, I'd consider going to Ricky's for the get-together. We had a good time there last year, with the game against LA. I think I remember the way.

7. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Is Ricky's walking distance (5 to 10 minutes) from a BART station? If so, I would be there for a high def presentation of this game.

If not, I still might be there.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricky's is within walking distance of the Bayfair BART station.

9. Line9Foul

Line9Foul New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Good ol' USA
    Ya'll can come over my crib..... i got a wide scrren TV with HDNet.... I live in San Mateo... Quakes Live on... i hope we get to see our european players in HD since we watch MLS players every weekend in HD.

10. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Great way to further promote soccer at Ricky's.

From BART to Ricky's walking takes about 10 minutes or less. It's very close by. You just get off BART and walk about 3 blocks down.

11. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard about this. I can't find anything on SoccerTV or the FSW website. Do you have a source?

12. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting them to show soccer even when nothing was on was a tough trick.

If they are still open, I'd never consider them anyway. They are (were) very anti-soccer.

13. bcguy4quakes

bcguy4quakes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 27, 2000
    Santa Cruz, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy,
    I would be interested in coming to this viewing party at Ricky's, it was a lot of fun doing this last year.

14. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It showed up on the DirecTV program guide on my Tivo this morning, and it is also on SoccerTV, I just checked now and it is there at 5:30 PM (live) and repeated at 8:30 PM on Wednesday 4/28.

15. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got the e-mail from US Soccer about the game being on FSW. As such I'll drop the gathering idea, since it's a little too easy to watch the game now. Not that that's a real problem, but it does put a damper on bringing a lot of people together for a match.

Although I'd encourage East Bay people to go watch the game at Ricky's and or the Englander if they want to see it in a sports bar.

I'll see if there's another HDNet game later on during the season that we can have a gathering at Ricky's.