US vs. JPN :: San Francisco CA :: 2.10.06

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by mpetrik, Nov 30, 2005.

1. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OUTSTANDING!!! Good work gentlemen. Sounds like May in Iowa! :)

2. MarkBox

MarkBox Member

Aug 1, 2002
    CA Hills
    We bought tickets over 30 days ago and still have not received them in the mail. Anyone else in the same situation? I know tickets.com says tickets may arrive anytime up to 48 hours before the event but geez...

3. radiogal

radiogal New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I got them in about 3 days from when I ordered. I ordered as soon as the Sam's Army section was set (maybe a month ago?) I live in Oakland.

4. totosoccer

totosoccer New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Same here. I had to call them and have them reissue the tix. To be on the safe side, I decided to change it to will-call.

5. soccer67

soccer67 New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    so whats the deal is this game going to have more japan support then us support that would be sad hope to god thats not the case.

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    ticket sales are just over 28K. I'm sure the majority will be Japanese fans.

7. Mdtsuba

Mdtsuba New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Concord
    Guy,

Just curious, how big is the "Baby flag?" Was it the same one that you guys had out for the U.S. vs. Wales game? Are you guys allowed to bring your drums?

Three days left! Can't wait!

Mike

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    God, I hope the full concessions are running. I've been jonesing for one of the Sheboygun brats since the end of last baseball season.

It's beautiful park, everyone. You should enjoy it.

9. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, its up to us isnt it? the promoters dont care who buy tickets just as long as someone does. I think it'll be like the Guatemala match in B'ham Pvan; remember there were a lot of both fans and spread out all over each other-but that was pretty cool. however left field friday nite is gonna' be owned by U.S. and everybody's going to know it too!

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, MLB teams pretty much let you take whatever you want in as long as you don't get in the way of other fans.

I would be prepared to return whatever you want to take in to the car if it's not allowed.

Most arenas and stadiums are starting to ban cameras with lenses longer than a certain length (usually a 3 or 4 inches), and some ban SLR cameras with "detachable" lenses. Most all P&S (point and shoot) cameras should be allowed in.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  12. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the same one (the Wales game was its first cap), but the same size 20'x30'.

At this point, we're still stuck with the SBC guidelines. No big drums.

13. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I will be in SF late tomorrow night. I have 3 full days in the city. Besides going to the game Friday night, what should I do?

14. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    Where have you guys heard that ther have just been 28k tickets sold. When I look for tickets online, all tickets available are in the upperdeck. Or does the soccer configuration close off seats because usually the stadium holds 44K.

15. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Just got 4 tickets in the 'upper corner', all US fans, one of them new -- excited, haven't been to a US Nats match since US-Uruguay at RFK a few years back.

16. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    from ussoccer.com

17. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thursday, you can head to the Ferry Building, the Embarcadero Center, and there's the usual tourist spots.

There's also the Metreon on 4th Street just south of Market. I know there was a buzz on the Liverpool threads of a get together that night at Mad Dog.

Saturday, there's Costa Rica/South Korea in Oakland (you can take BART which goes directly to the stadium if you choose to go). Also one of the biggest events in San Francisco takes place that night with the Chinese New Year parade. THAT gets packed.

I'll also add that some places are accessible by rail. Mad Dog at the Fog on Haight and Kezar Pub on Stanyan can be reached via the N-Judah line. The former when the train leaves the subway off Market and Church, and the latter a bit further west after going under another tunnel, and one stop further.

Here's this but I think you already know. ;)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310288

Good luck.

18. Anteater10

Anteater10 New Member

Dec 31, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this may have been asked already but does anyone know when the telemundo tape delay will be shown? (PST)

19. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's listed for 2 pm (ET/PT) on Saturday afternoon.

Interesting, how a great matchup like USA-Japan is put on one-day delay but USA-Guatemala (ho hum) is being shown LIVE on Telemundo??!!

20. MLSinSF

MLSinSF Member

Jan 25, 2006
    San Francisco
    Really looking forward to the game on Friday...prediction, US 2, Japan 1. The weather should be great.

Some recommendations for those attending the game (particularly for out of town visitors). (More information/directions for all of these places can be found at http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/ )
    *The best pre-game festivities should be on patio bar of MoMo's (corner of 2nd St. @ Embarcadero/King St....overlooking the stadium). I wouldn't go for the more formal dining, but drinks, appetizers, and atmosphere should be great.
    * Other options...21st Amendment (bar is a bit small and more of a restaurant); Paragon, Acme chophouse (restaurant/ patio bar at the entrance to the stadium). The Place was suggested but it is undergoing a remodel and is currently closed.
    * Gordon Biersch has good food/beer and is along the way if you are walking from BART.
    * Post-game suggestions: (1) Mad Dog in the Fog soccer bar & lower Haight neighborhood (don't miss the Tornado bar across the street..especially if you like belgian beer); (2) North Beach (bar hopping/restaurants..search the citysearch website provided above, 'Bars & Clubs' with 'North Beach' in the address line); (3) Mission District (same as item (2) with a different, more hip vibe)

General SF Sites and Attractions:
    * Take a mid-day ferry from fisherman's wharf area to Tiburon's waterfront establishments (Sam's bar/grill or Guaymas mexican food)
    * Check out the Park Chalet restaurant & outdoor beer garden (late afternoon)...far west end of town..probably need a car.
    * Just get out and explore the various neighborhoods. Great shopping/food/architecture in the following areas: haight district, chinatown, north beach, cow hollow, mission district, pacific heights.

Cheers...enjoy SF.

21. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium Guidelines: SBC Park’s guidelines for items that are allowed inthe stadium are tighter than we might be used to. Please refer to thefollowing items so as not to be turned away at the gate.Drums are allowed, but must be able to fit in a 16x16x8 bag. Flags andbanners are allowed, but must be under 3 feet in height. Flagpoles arenot allowed. Paper streamers are allowed, feel free to bring as manythat will fit in an 16x16x8 bag.Please refer to the SBC Park A to Z guide for more info.

Additional Note: Fox Soccer USA is doing a story on Sam’s Army and willbe at the 21st Amendment and in our section at the game doinginterviews. Make sure you smile for the camera!

Pre-Game Gathering Info:
    We’ll be getting together at the 21st Amendment Brewery/Restaurant/Bar at 6pm.
    They’re located at 563 2nd St in San Francisco just 3 blocks from SBC Park
    Click on this link for directions and menu info.

The Park has also been mentioned for those who just wanna drink. :)

ETA: There's also a gathering planned with the J-Ultras at the Mad Dog at 6pm on Thursday evening. See link for the location below.

SF visitor's guide:
    Visitors guide to San Francisco

More info:
    SBC Park info

Public transportation links (highly recommended for folks coming in from out of town)
    SF Muni
    Bay Area Rapid Transit

For those who are staying over the weekend, two places to watch EPL soccer on Saturday morning:
    Mad Dog in the Fog
    Kezar Pub

On Saturday the 11th Costa Rica takes on South Korea in a friendly at McAfee (Oakland) Coliseum. Tickets for that game go on sale on January 21st. Check the Coliseum’s website for details. McAfee Coliseum is easily reachable by Bay Area Rapid Transit.

Saturday night also will have the huge Chinese New Years parade. Come see if the Falun Gong come protest. You can't say you've been San Francisco without a seeing a protest.

22. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    In the upper right field/first base line? I'll probably see you there.

23. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be arriving on Friday around 11 am (actually flying into Oakland) & hope to be at the hotel by noon. LOTS of great info & advice from many of the locals here on BS. Thanks.

Anybody staying at the Adante Hotel near Union Square??

Delta Blues will actually be there on Thursday night & we'll be hitting the town on Friday before the game. I'm SOOOO psyched for this game. Should be a great atmosphere & competitive game!!

See everybody on Friday afternoon, either at 21st or the Park!! Not sure which one yet, though I'll probably eat at the 21st & head to the Park for some "early, serious" drinking!!

24. MLSinSF

MLSinSF Member

Jan 25, 2006
    San Francisco
    Unfortunately,...The Park on 3rd St. was closed for renovation when I went by yesterday,...correct me if I am wrong somebody. (I mistakenly referred to it as The Place in my earlier post.) The bars on 2nd St., ... MoMo's, 21st Amendment and Paragon should do the trick, however.

25. yure323

yure323 New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Necropolis
    Will Japan bring their best players to San Francisco ?