US vs. JPN :: San Francisco CA :: 2.10.06

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by mpetrik, Nov 30, 2005.

1. mpetrik

mpetrik Member

May 17, 2004
    East Bay
    Looks like the game will be somewhere in the Bay Area on Feb 10. Remodeled Kezar is way too small (but that would be fun) and I am not sure if PacBell (or whatever they will call it by Feb) has the dimensions for a soccer pitch. So what is left?

• Oakland Coliseum
    • Stanford
    • The friendly confines of Spartan

I remember the US-China friendly in Oaktown in January a few years back -- first time I saw Beasley play. Stanford is probably too big, Spartan probably just right.

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Japan Match -- where in "San Francisco"

I think they really mean San Francisco. The two options are SBC Park and Candlestick Park.

Stanford is definitely not an option. Here is what it currently looks like:
    [​IMG]

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The park formerly known as Pac Bell, currenly known as SBC, and soon to be AT&T Park has hosted soccer games in the past. I think it is very likely that the game will be there.

4. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm thinking I'll try and get up there for this game , should be fun .Spartan Stadium I think would be a nice place to play in , not too big , but when filled its a good atmosphere .

5. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How far is SBC, soon to be AT&T Park, from the downtown SF area??

It's my FIRST trip to SF & I'm PSYCHED!! CAN'T WAIT for February 10!! Plan to make a three-day trip out of it & see all the sights in SF.

USA-Japan, should be a fun game but my heart will be a bit torn. Between my love for the USMNT & my love for Japanese women!!!

Guess I'll just cheer the USMNT on to victory & then "console" the Japanese female fans, LOL!!!

6. MarkoC

MarkoC Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 19, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SBC park is a 10 minute ride on the Muni from Downtown.

7. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks, MarkoC.

That's actually closer than I thought it might be. Is the Muni anything like the BART??

8. MarkoC

MarkoC Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 19, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Muni operates both the streetcars and buses in SF. To get to SBC from downtown you would take one of the streetcars that run under Market Street. I think the N Judah line goes to SBC but I could be wrong- I lived in SF five years ago. The stops downtown are the same as the BART but they are a level higher. Once the train leaves downtown it goes back above ground for the rest of the way to SBC.

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999

Doesn't N Judah take you out to Sunset? Is SBC out in that direction?

10. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It also now goes above ground along the Embarcadero south out to Phone Company Park. It's a recent extension that came with the new ballpark.

If this gets confirmed at the ballyard, I'll gather the info on getting there.

FYI, BART is a train system that runs through the San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley/etc. area. Muni serves San Fran only.

11. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With all due respect to MarkoC, SBC Park is in downtown SF.

[​IMG]

12. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for all the info on the public transit in SF!! I know it's going to be a great trip!!

GREAT pic, ggayle!! It really shows you how close the stadium is to downtown.

13. MarkoC

MarkoC Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 19, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When I think of downtown SF, I generally think of the financial district, which is north of Market Street. I believe that SBC Park is in the area of town called South Beach, which as you can tell from the picture, is very close to downtown.:)

Either way, it's about a 10 minute ride on Muni. :)

14. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So now that it's official, here are some details for public transit if any of you out-of-towners are coming. This is basically how to get to SBC Park from any of the major airports via public transit. It is useful if you are flying in the afternoon of the game and want to go directly to the stadium, although if you have bags you may need to get to your hotel first, so maybe it's not that useful.

If you fly into SFO, there is a BART station at the airport, although it's in the international terminal so it may be a hike from the domestic gates. Take BART to the Embarcadero stop, transfer to MUNI and take an inbound N-Judah streetcar to the stadium.

If you fly into OAK, take the AirBART shuttle to the Coliseum BART station, then take BART to Embarcadero, transfer to MUNI, etc.

If you fly into SJC, take VTA Bus #10 to the Santa Clara Caltrain station, and take Caltrain to the San Francisco 4th & King station. From there, it's a block to the stadium.

If you're renting a car, park somewhere and take public transit, BART or Caltrain as described above. Driving and parking in the city (when we locals type "the city," we mean San Francisco) is not fun, although SBC Park is more accessible than many other parts of the city -- just take 280 until it dumps you onto Third Street and you're only a few blocks from the stadium. There is some amount of parking near the stadium, but it tends to be $15 or $20 for Giants games, and I don't think it will be different for this event.

Guy and the rest of us locals will put together some thoughts on Sam's Army activities as well as some more travel details. The fact that the game is on a Friday means that those of us who work will have a hard time making a tailgate happen, and the weather will probably be cold and drizzly so a tailgate may not be much fun. Fortunately, there are a number of bars and restaurants in walking distance from the stadium. We will let you know what the plans are.

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the layout that is used for American football. Use your imagination to picture a soccer field. The left-field bleachers would be the best place for Sam's Army.
    [​IMG]

Also here is a photo from a past soccer match at the stadium. I think it's Club America vs. somebody.
    [​IMG]

16. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SFO has a people mover that runs between the terminals, the BART station, and the rental car center.

That's capital "T" capital "C", and make sure you say it as if you're wine tasting in Napa.

signed,
    an Oakland resident

17. knakveey

knakveey New Member

Dec 3, 2005
    San Francisco

ok ok....

The N judah... stops stops at all major downtown metro stations... it drops you off roughly... 20 paces from the park. Its very efficient during and after games, and for all of you from the south bay... cal train is two blocks away.

will sam's army be in attendence? if so... left field bleachers?

FYI: Bart and Muni share the same stations in downtown sf...

18. mpetrik

mpetrik Member

May 17, 2004
    East Bay

February in San Francisco...great chance for rain and temps in the mid-50s during the afternoon.

Bring your red ponchos.

19. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you sure this isn't a pic from your Subbuteo game at home? ;)

21. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.

Say, is that Astropitch?

22. mpetrik

mpetrik Member

May 17, 2004
    East Bay
    Looks like the only time we will meet Japan next year since we are both in Pot 4...

23. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Woodentop Prima Pitch if I'm not mistaken.

24. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The answer to the first one is yes.

Tha answer to the 2nd one is probably, it's what I asked for. I'm still waiting to hear back from US Soccer.

25. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    What, you don't think Japan can make it past the group stage? ;)