US vs JAMICA .:: Cary, NC ::. 4-11-06

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Bill Schmidt, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is everybody getting there?

Any suggestions for travel from D.C.?

2. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Travel to U.S. vs. Jamaica 4/11

From DC, it would be about a four hour trip by car depending on the traffic and how fast you drive. Amtrak's Carolinian route will get you to Cary by 5 PM, but you'd have to catch the train in DC around 11. Two trains -- one early morning (Silver Star route) and one late morning (Carolinian route) -- leave out to DC the next morning.

I'm driving since I live in Greensboro.

3. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, you are lucky. :) Thanks for the info!

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

I wouldn't count on leaving DC at 3pm and making a 7pm weekday start at SAS Stadium.

With no traffic, my place in Durham is about 3:45 from RFK Lot 8. For a typical Saturday game, it usually takes 4:15 to 4:45 to get there, depending on traffic. For a Wednesday game, I'm lucky if the drive is less than five hours.

Granted, DC to Raleigh-Durham is better for traffic than the other way around, but SAS Stadium is around 20-30 minutes farther than my house.

Another complicating traffic factor is that the RBC Center is only a couple miles away from SAS Stadium and the Carolina Hurricanes will be hosting the New Jersey Devils at 7pm. That will make traffic in the area even worse than normal

5. danny_mac3

danny_mac3 New Member

May 19, 2005
    France & USA

Just saw the announcment and I couldn't be happier they are coming here. Question about tickets, does anyone know when they go on sale. Given the turnout for the DCU Rochester game, I want to buy earlier because I have a feeling this one will sell out.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

USSF PR

7. FinSwede

FinSwede New Member

Jul 10, 2005
    North Carolina

With I-95 traffic and game parking congestion (SAS stadium access is from a single 2 lane road), I would leave no later than 1 pm for a 7pm match. By the way, if you are concerned about a sell-out and don't want to wait for tickets to go on sale to the general public through Ticketmaster, you should read some information on wjarrettc's blog:

http://trisoccerfan.blogspot.com/2006/02/special-opportunity-for-usa-v-jamaica.html

The deal he describes allows fans who are going to buy season tickets for the Triangle USL team to go the front of the line and purchase the best tickets this week before they become available to the general public 10 days from now. Of course, as a practical matter, any fan (even one in DC) who is willing to pay a $50 non-refundable deposit may be able to jump to the front of the line. SAS holds only about 8,000, and if folks are coming from DC, Richmond, Va Beach, Greensboro, Wilmington, and Charlotte for the match, I would expect it to sell out. Just a thought.

8. adamu7777

adamu7777 New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    North Carolina

i feel like ticketmaster usually has a password protected pre-sale...any idea if that is going to be the case with this game? if so...WHO'S GOT THE PASSWORD!?!?!:eek:

9. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US vs JAMICA .::Cary, NC ::. 4-11-06

Sam's Army ticket info is now available at:

http://www.trisoccerfan.com/usa_20060411.html

Sams-army.com will be updated shortly to reflect this info.

For now, we are only planning events on the Tuesday of the game as I don't expect a lot of folks to arrive on Monday from out of town. If you are coming in on Monday, let us know (there's a contact email address on that webpage) and perhaps we can plan a monday night activity too if there is interest.

10. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Join us in Sam's Army instead of messing with ticketmaster.
    http://www.trisoccerfan.com/usa_20060411.html

Don't count on Amtrak for travel from DC. They are reliably unreliable, once you get south of Richmond.

Your best bet is probably Southwest air from BWI. $54 tickets each way if you buy far enough in advance.

11. VAsoccermom

VAsoccermom New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Alexandria, Virginia

Wow! What are you driving?? I can get from my house outside of Ft. Belvoir to Henderson in 3:45 on a good day... no cops no potty break..... Durham is at least another 30 minutes away. Let alone the 20 minutes in the other direction to RFK...... And I'm no Sunday driver...... Man you have this travel stuff down to a tee..... :D

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

It's 265 miles from my driveway to Lot 8. 70 miles/hour puts the trip at right about 3:45.

13. VAsoccermom

VAsoccermom New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Alexandria, Virginia

you know what that sounds exactly right... It actually takes me about 2:45 to get to Henderson, NC not 3.... too much soccer on the brain I guess...

Anyway, where is everyone staying at? I am just trying to figure out where the closest hotel to the stadium is.

14. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore

There's a guy in Frederick, MD. who will be taking his WCX bus, I think.

I'd love to go; sounds like a 5-hr drive from Baltimore, but since they won't be playing a warmup at RFK, it'd be worth it.

15. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please see my web page at http://www.trisoccerfan.com/usa_20060411.html

If you still have questions, there's a contact form on the website and somebody from TSF will help you out.

Jarrett

16. VA Beach Brigade

Feb 22, 2006
    VA Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be leaving out of VA Beach. Only about a 3 hour drive. The speed limit on 95 south and NC 64 East are 65 or 70 most of the way. Maybe these tickets will be easier to get than World Cup tix.

17. jmpnyc

jmpnyc New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    NYC
    I coming from NYC, I want to drive, leave on Tuesday at around 11AM, what way is better, going throu VA BEACH RT 13 or go throu DC 95 South. I mapquested, its telling me 8.5 hours throu DC. Based on what you guys are saying time doesn't add up to. What's with the one road leading into the stadium?

18. Fussballman 7

Fussballman 7 Member

Oct 29, 2000
    Dresden, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as of right now, I plan on making the trek to the game with a buddy of mine from Central Ohio. I try to make it to as many National team games as my thin college wallet allows, soon to be even thinner next fall when law school comes. Also, it is a good excuse to miss a couple days of class considering it is my senior year and I've only missed a couple classes ever; this is how I am justifying going to the game. Even though it will be a domestic squad, still looking forward to seeing SAS Park and the final steps before for Germany. Will be attendance cap #13.

19. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I get a ROLL CALL of the folks planning to make the trip (or even if you're local), whether you will be arriving on Monday or Tuesday, and what area you'll be staying in?

We are trying to plan the tailgate and other various functions and getting an idea of numbers and when you arrive will help us immensely.

Email samsarmy@trisoccerfan.com if you have any questions about the Cary event, where to stay, etc.

Thanks,

Jarrett

20. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son and I are coming from Greensboro. Plan to be there by late afternoon on Tuesday and heading home shortly after the match.

21. cosmo fan

cosmo fan Member

Jul 28, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be heading up from Charlotte on Tuesday. Plan on getting there for a tailgate. May have a small crew heading up with me from Charleston.

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cosmo, I was thinking of heading up from Charleston with a couple people as well, might do the convoy thing.

23. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just an FYI - Jamaica wont appreciate you leaving out the 2nd of 3 A's in their name.

24. Bill Schmidt

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case that is directed at me (thread starter)- A moderator changed the title I had. Of course I might have spelled it wrong too, but don't tell anyone.

25. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The presale started today. I've order a pair of tickets on the midfield stripe.