News: US vs Italy November 27th Toyota Park Bridgeview, Il, IL

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BHBH1, Nov 6, 2010.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    If you are going to try extortion, it helps if the other guy is afraid of the thing you are threatening to do...:confused:

2. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since that was Wambach's second yellow card in the qualifying campaign, I think she will have to miss the first match in the World Cup.

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Thanks for the shout out man, I do what I can. The flag pole flags almost didn't happen. I have to give S8 credit for having hooked me up with their extra PVC which allowed me to get the flags tied up right before the time US Soccer gave us to take stuff like that in.

4. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I can tell, there were no yellow cards handed out in the match and I don't remember the ref doing anything more than admonishing Wambach after the push.

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  6. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Thanks.

7. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    at least show it at 3a.m. on delay so we can record it. It's sad that they couldn't show the mexico game, showed the CR game b/c there was sudden interest, ironically b/c of the mexico game, but can't show leg 1 or 2 against Italy.

correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the home fed have the right to sell the rights to whomever and even in multiple languages? that's how it works with the men

and anyway you're wrong, espn shuffles schedules around all the time, changing dates and start times as they wish.

8. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    ESPN shuffles programs all the time. Really?? You think on College game day they are moving college football games around? You think they are going to move a game where they will draw a handful of fans versus 100,000's. You can sell but you need a buyer. The Fed can sell it to Mother Russia.

ITS ABOUT MONEY!!!!!!!!!! ESPN IS NOT INTO CHARITY.

I have never heard so many people who thinks ESPN owes soccer an outlet!
    They are there to make money! First get the fans and then demand! They scrolled the match during football -hell be happy.

At a college football game you have 60,000 a game! What did you have at the WNT game 8,000--Yeah they should have moved games around.OMG

By the way there was ONE womens Soccer game that day! There were 100's of football games with the average D1 being 48,000.

So when the Fed called ESPN they tell them what they are going to do?haha

The game got a terrible 8,000! Don;t tell me it was cold-don't tell me bad date-short notice--ND got 2600 at there game in OKLAHOMA!! it was mid 30's!

I said from the start "open the gates" Fill the stadium with 22,000-Make some noise for the game-Support the game! People would have talked about the match! No one gave a crap about the match! US Soccer didn't need the gate! But the game needed a shot of momentum!

9. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Uh . . . the game could've been on either ESPNU or FSC w/o moving a live game of any kind around (already been discussed - do you read stuff or just wade in with your bs).

Also, SocFed/SUM could've twisted arms to get it on the air SOMEWHERE. The "give a sh!t factor" just isn't high enough. Obviously. There's no way the USWNT qualifier would've had lower ratings than some talking heads show on FSC.

The issue is that US Soccer and ESPN would rather LEAVE MONEY ON THE TABLE than televise the USWNT. It's sad but true and obviously inexplicable in your model of how things get done.

10. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006

What are you talking about?? I am responding not starting a discussion Morris! So now explain what is BS. PLEASE tell me. You Think US Soccer could have twisted arms to get it on air. Please explain ? Where do you get off thinking they have that power? Can't wait for the facts!

I don;t care if it was on the top of the list at US Soccer! Ratings get it on air.

Oh and the best!!! The Unites States womens national team and ESPN would rather leave money on the table. Next to ping pong the WNT isn't on ESPN's radar. What money does the WNT have??? US Soccer may have money but not the WNT. Any way what money is left on the table. Do you know how much more money is made on a football game then soccer.

You think you are going to come bashing the my post without reading it. Do you miss words and pick out others to make your own fantasy post.

11. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Don't want to talk with you SoccerBS further about anything other than to point out that there were 9,508 people at the game.

12. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Picarelli will be at WPS next year?

13. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Fox Soccer Plus showed a taped talk show during the US game.

FOX Sports Net local affiliates have alternate channels and could've shown the game (it could've provided a lead-in to the live MVC volleyball championship at 3pm on Fox Sports Midwest Alternate) without bumping ANYTHING. Just more ads to sell . . .

If you actually read the thread, someone posted what was on the TV listings prior to the game.

Sorry, feeding time over.

[​IMG]

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    so?

a taped talk show is one of the cheapest things to put on the air. and you sell ads and still make some dough. putting women's soccer on the air usually loses money.

fa's all over the world make $$$ on soccer on tv. but women's soccer is a tougher sell. especially in the u.s. where soccer itself is a niche sport. you guys are dreaming if you think that espn or fox soccer will leave money on the table rather than putting the uswnt on the air. ratings brings dollars and dollars will always get you air time. the uswnt with some exceptions, gets neither ratings nor dollars, so it doesn't get air time.

15. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    LUV -Morris is more interested in calling people trolls when the reflection in the mirror is actually Morris. The non constructive posts he makes is for his own agenda and doesn't look at what the real facts are.

Morris grow up this isn't dungeon and dragons. Its funny when I asked you to clarify some of your statements you go to name calling. I am sure you can go on facebook and write on walls so why in here?

16. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulease. USSF needs to play a game in the Pacific NW for USWNT.

Signed,

Seattle Fan

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Seattle. yeah, Ok. You guys get one snow flake and the city shuts down.

18. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Seattle has a great fan base for soccer! You are right! Has always done well fro w-league - USL A- MLS

19. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    You'll have to slow down for an older man . . . if you're already covering the game on the internet, how do you lose money broadcasting it over the air as well (especially on an "alt" channel that is just dead air at other times)?

Of course, when they can't get men's games on the air, USSF buys the time and sells it's own ads . . . no word on profitability (and it'd be easy to move dollars around to show a profit or loss, I suppose, depending on your agenda), but it certainly doesn't pass the smell test to play a WWCQ off air.

And as far as ratings go, women's soccer seems to be about where the men are for MLS/WPS - so once again I'm confused, if you think it's about ratings and those are similar (actually they were higher for WPS than MLS last I checked) . . . I admit I didn't do any research to compare men's WCQ's and women's for ratings - but I'd expect if you take the Mexico games out of the mix that none of them would be particularly profitable compared to the NFL. I'd also expect them to be just fine compared to the MVC volleyball championship or taped repeats of talking heads (which is what got aired).

I'm genuinely confused by the heat level, it seems pretty obvious (to me anyway) that this is an attention/effort issue rather than a profit/loss issue.

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    you have to have $$ to buy air time, and you have to have people willing to put ads on your show to sell ads on it. the usmnt draws more fans and is a much more attractive atmosphere to sell ads on. both are niche sports. but the uswnt is a niche within a niche. its support is negligible.

then you need to talk to the people who (are familiar with the) struggle to put women's soccer on the air all the time and can't get it broadcast. there is simply very little market for it.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MjVWBnhxvE"]YouTube - USA vs Italy November 27 th 2010[/ame]

1:09 ;)

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Wave that flag
    Wave it wide and high
    Summertime done
    Come and gone, my oh my...
    "

The Grateful Dead, "U S Blues"

Looks chilly anyway...

23. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Girl next to Cville wearing the red hoodie and scarf is me!!! And the man next to me wearing the flag is Keith. :)