News: US vs Italy November 27th Toyota Park Bridgeview, Il, IL

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BHBH1, Nov 6, 2010.

1. BHBH1

BHBH1 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    If we get by Costa Rica, mark your calendars....Also, American Outlaws are most likely going to organize supporters section tickets, tailgating,promotion of match etc....also viewing parties for November 20th Italy match... will keep everyone informed...

2. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Quite frankly, I don't understand the rationale for the choice of location for this game. Why would you ever schedule a critical match in late November in Chicago, of all places? This decision baffles me. Toyota Park is a great venue, but if the pitch is covered in slush, or visibility is reduced to zero by a snowstorm, then what?

Maybe the thinking is to freeze the Italians in place, then run around them to score! :D

Hopefully enough fans are willing to get out and brave the cold that there will be a decent atmosphere. The stakes will certainly be high enough.

3. BHBH1

BHBH1 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I think it is a cost issue. The USSF is in Chicago and the logistics of transporting staff is saved. Also, the rental rate that Toyota Park gave them was probably really cheap.

4. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was likely the contingency plan that US soccer thought it would never have to use.

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is always a good choice to make the visiting team play out of their element as far as weather goes. I don't know if that went into the thinking, but if it did, it's a good idea.

I'm thinking about making the drive up that weekend, although with it being a holiday weekend, I'm not sure as of yet. And unfortunately, with it being a holiday weekend, the crowd will likely be very low.

6. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Soccer game in Chicago after Thanksgiving hmmmmmm. Well done US Soccer!
    You showed your brain power once more. Do you remember the last game in the US. I think you pulled in 3,000 fans and now make the players play in the cold. You really are an amazing group of people. Just think those people sit in those jobs for years with no responsibility for the bad decisions they make over and over. Couldn't you take a couple of seconds to think of the nest place to play the game!

How can you tell anybody to respect the women's game when our own governing body doesn't!

7. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Like the US, it depends where a player is from Italy for this to be true. Average high in Milan November is 52, average low 33...not too far off Chicago's which are 49 and 35 respectively. Rome is more like 60 and 45 while further south it would be high 60s and mid 50s.

8. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't really see what the big deal is about the weather/location. I"ve been outside in a snowstorm for an american football game and the kids in front of me didn't have shirts on.
    Grab some warm clothes and handwarmers bring extra money for hot chocolate or bring a flask and go support your damn team.

9. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand, my grandfather was from Brescia and I have family that lives just across the Swiss border from northern Italy. But believe me, Chicago in winter can be downright nasty. Although Toyota Park is well off the lake (10-15 miles?), it is usually very windy (at least when I've been up there) and it always feels colder than the temperature. They might get lucky and have a decent weather day, but it is more likely to be closer to Rio Tinto earlier in the year.

As far as the Thanksgiving weekend, I'm pretty sure that was not US Soccer's choice, so there wasn't much they could do about that. I imagine that date was scheduled long ago, probably by FIFA.

10. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow... amazingly stupid.... Yes people go for NFL and College football in snow and the frigid cold.... but when you struggle to have 2500 in nice weather, hos many are going to come for possible severe weather of chicago... great choice US Soccer... maybe they can play december or January in Boston or Cleveland

11. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    or the flipside...it's an alibi for losing if the crowd or referees are not a factor

12. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    Stupid logic on the part of the USSF. Unreal. Although I haven't seen Italy play to be able to comment on whether or not its an advantage to us, it just seems like bad weather or a bad field wouldn't be of much help to us, not to mention, I can't see us getting the all important 12th man advantage from a winter day in Thanksgiving. I hope I am wrong.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting tidbit about Italy, were we to end up beating CR and play Italy.

The Italian starting keeper (all 5'5" of her) is a product of the USA (California native) and went to Pepperdine.

14. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    I love how people in here are acting like its some kind of advantage for the US and a disadvantage or them. It blows for anyone on the field. Soccer is beat played in warm weather not hot not cold and we can provide that here. This is a national team game and we should treat it with pride!

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't give a sh_t what you guys say. I LOVE the fact it's in my hometown of Chicago in beautiful Toyota Park.
    And I will be there.

16. lonerunner

lonerunner New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    It's not too cold. Tell that to the 100,000 people who wait outside for 3 hours Black Friday.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I refuse to fly TDay weekend. Or I'd seriously consider the trip.

Actually, I pretty much refuse to travel at all TDay wknd.

18. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've done so on a regular basis for some years now - one trick is to leave late rather than early, after the rush has died down.

In fact, I will be in the vicinity of Chicago that weekend - if anyone can give me a ride to Toyota Park from Lombard on the day, please let me know.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not a problem. Just pm me and we'll figure it out.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Awe come-on kool-aide. I'll be in your neck of the woods the following week for the Collge Cup. The problem is that it's Thanksgiving weekend. O'Hare and Midway are busy airports for those days. And how expensive it will be is anyone's guess.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $350 b/f fees is the cheapest I could find for that weekend even with the option of Southwest direct flights. But no. I do not fly on TDay wknd. And I avoid travel that weekend if at all possible. I have my reasons. And if my mother can accept that then, well, the USWNT will have to accept that too. :p

22. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when do tickets go on sale? I want to see if i can fit it into my budget.

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago late november, yes it could be cold with snow, it also could be 65 degrees and sunny. You never know in Chicago. Today,tomorrow and wednesday are all supposed to be sunny and in the 60's.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Didn't the men's NT play Mexico in Columbus, OH in mid February a couple of years ago?

25. BHBH1

BHBH1 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I know as a fact USSF officials read the US mens and womens forums on Big Soccer, so here is my suggestion for the prices of the tickets. $15 for the best seats...10 dollars for the cheapest individual seats and even better group discounts for youth teams....if they don't do this there could be 800 people in the stands with 200 rooting for Italy. The weather could be in the 20s or 30s at night so it should be a day match...2 PM hopefully weather is in mid to late 40s or low 50s...I am hoping for 7,000 if they do this...6,700 rooting for US....Thanksgiving weekend is a tough time to get people out....