Us vs ES General Postgame Thread (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 21, 2013.

1. cliftonjosh

cliftonjosh Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I was there yesterday and saw above the group i was with an ES fan wipping and swinging on a US fan. NOONE helped until the guys ran away. Then security showed up. The fight went on for about 5 mins btw. I will say there were 5 times the amount of cops after the game then there was before it.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Reminds me of the old days at RFK. The Rowdy Salvadorian crowd was good/bad for certain reasons. We were a scary team to play against,but it also was a crappy atmosphere for the timid/newer fans to the game/families.

3. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a Steelers-Ravens game

write one repped this.
  4. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    If Donovan is Spartacus, who is Crixus and who is Gannicus?

5. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Took the liberty of emailing Soldier Field re. 7/28/2013 event security. They'll have no excuse.

StillKickin and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Someone on my facebook feed shared a video that was posted on a Salvadorean fb page of an incident like that this when I was browsing during lunch. Perhaps this is the same incident. In it there were a couple of US fans fending off a group a ES fans coming at them from a bunch of directions. It's not clear from the video how it started, the US fans were also throwing back (hopefully, they weren't responsible for it starting). And, of course, no security protection for miles around.

From the video, it's evident the preferred Salvadorean method of fighting consists of having superior numbers, cold-cocks from behind, and using belts and other make-shift objects as weapons. What a bunch of cowards.

7. cliftonjosh

cliftonjosh Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    it probably was that. I didnt see how it started but the US fans were by far outnumbered and it looked like they were just trying to protect themselves. They could have been at fault but i honestly do not know.

8. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    I'd estimate that at the 7/24/2007 GC Final at Soldier Field, 95% attending were not USA fans, and from what I saw many of them (USA fans included) were drinking before they entered. Sans adequate security = recipe for trouble.

UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  9. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we break off the fan violence subject into its own thread? It seems to have derailed both the PBP *and* the postgame thread now :(

10. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've encountered something at every single qualifier or Gold Cup match I've ever attended against a Central American nation, except for the 2005 WCQ in Birmingham against Guatemala. Now, to be fair, at the 2009 WCQ in Chicago against Honduras, most Honduran fans were extremely nice, but there was still a lot of crap thrown at US fans from the upper deck at Soldier Field. Now, again, to be fair a lot of the Hondurans near us were trying to shield the US fans from their own fans and yelling back at the other Hondurans who were launching the cups, bottles, etc.

While we should not just shrug it off, and while we should not stoop to their level, I expect it when I go to a game, and my wife doesn't go with me anymore (unless we're playing Canada...her words). I won't take my son to a WCQ or GC game against one of those nations until he's at least 11 or 12.

11. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Understand and respect your position. Directly post-game-related, however.

12. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but despite the name this isn't the thread to analyze the post-game. It's the post-game thread to analyze the *game*. Thus my request for a dedicated thread - it's a worthy subject, but not the subject of this thread :)

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You prefer Queensberry Rules? That's how groups of people fight around the world. Don't bring your kids/wife/gf and don't dress like Uncle Sam when going to matches like this until they start segregating the fans.

14. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't hold your breath.

My experience with Soldier Field security and management at Gold Cup finals says otherwise.

15. Fire Bradley

Fire Bradley Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously this is international soccer, you don't take children to games like this (save the family outings for friendlies or games vs. Canada).

Especially in a stadium where our fans are outnumbered. Its like showing up to an Eagles game dressed up in Cowboys gear.

It's funny how our fans get all high and mighty about this stuff, obviously it's not something that should happen but everyone acting like fans in this country aren't prone to doing something stupid from time to time. Get off your high horse fellas.

slaminsams and CeltTexan repped this.
  16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    It's not something that should happen and it happens with some fan bases more than others. That's a problem. There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling that a problem.

Berks, Mr. Bandwagon, Craig P and 5 others repped this.
  17. Fire Bradley

Fire Bradley Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with it being a problem, it's a problem in all sports. And it's a worldwide problem, my comment was more towards all the posts that are demeaning the Salvadorian people or the ones generalizing Mexico fans.

It's annoying reading posts from our fans that act like our own fans are above it. Which is why I'm saying to get off your high horse.

18. likewhoa123

likewhoa123 Member

Jul 26, 2005
    95%?! Wow. I'm considering going to the GC final, not sure I want to be outnumbered that badly, especially since I'd likely be going by myself. I'd have no problem with a 70-30 ratio, but 19-1 is pretty daunting.

19. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the 2009 WC qualifier vs Honduras in Soldier Field. We were HEAVILY outnumbered, but the Honduran fans around us were great. We had a wonderful time: my buddy, me, and our 12 year old sons. I'm not saying everyone will have that experience, but I think the odds of it being bad are way lower than you might think.

20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does deserve its own thread. I feel like we should get some of the incidents together into an open letter to CONCACAF and M&T and US Soccer.

21. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in no way 95% Mexican fans. There were at least 15,000 US fans, possibly more, and attendance was listed at 60,000. Nothing to proud of, but it's not like there were 3,o00 US fans huddled in a corner and 57,000 Mexicans.

22. likewhoa123

likewhoa123 Member

Jul 26, 2005
    cool. I only have two buddies who care enough about soccer go to the game and they both have conflicts, so I'm probably flying solo. On TV it always looks like the American support is in the lower bowl, while the upper decks are totally dominated by opposing fans. I'll probably try to snag a nice seat just so I'm not literally the only gringo in my section. This is all assuming the US makes the final of course.

23. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer no fighting at all.

Anyway, here's the video I saw - don't know how to embed from facebook. It's pretty gross and shocking, I don't think being outraged by it constitutes being on a high horse, but that's just me.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=233385036808865&set=vb.222944404519595&type=2&theater

write one repped this.
  24. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From the looks of it they are attacking some ES fans as well. But those are definitely not all US fans. My thoughts are this something personal.

25. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Actually, having watched every single minute he played for Leverkusen at that time he was actually very good- all in sub minutes- until the return against Liverpool in the Champions League. Leverkusen had already mailed it in and Donovan put on one the most painfully timid performances I have ever seen- and certainly the worst I've ever seen from him. Of course, aside from that he was excellent. ;)

Hobo and Marko72 repped this.