Us vs ES General Postgame Thread (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    second tier like the upper deck or 200 level?

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe they've turned the corner in that regard. In this past year alone they've:

1. Sent Marquez packing.
    2. Resigned a bunch of young American players.
    3. Signed 3 guys straight out of the academy.
    4. Dropped Kaka's grossly overpaid brother.
    5. Dropped Juninho.
    6. Opened an INCREDIBLE training facility for the first team and academy.

Roxburgh and Petke have been very vocal about changing the culture in NY to one of building a core of academy guys and then adding the right parts to compliment that.

FlipsLikeAPancake and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  3. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't read the entire thread, but I saw a couple of people complaining. Not much to complain about. It wasn't perfect, but when has it ever been? I thought Beckerman put in his best performance in a long time, maybe ever, Donovan was very good, would have been one of his better performances (yes I know the competition) if he finished a couple of his chances, and all around, solid.

Best part. I'm torn. Either Donovan putting on the shades, or the fact that no one bit our players.

Bajoro repped this.
  4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I hope they carry that out. The biggest problem with the Metros/Red Bull for as long as I've paid attention has been that they've always figured they needed more sizzle than steak, both with the players they've signed and quite often the coaches they've hired, as well.

5. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How effing awesome was this moment? LD finally scored after so many missed chances, the skies opened, and from this image it's pretty clear that he has regained the passion for the game that he was questioning back in 2011-12.

Berks repped this.
  6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I'll say about it cause I don't want to derail the thread. Red Bull will always have one "star" player. If they have more it will be because he's a good fit for the league (Keane, Cahill, etc.).

However, these 2 guys Roxburgh and DeBontin are all about building the club with local academy products and implementing stability.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  7. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    exref, CeltTexan and Dr Jay repped this.
  8. MartSkin

MartSkin Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Right Back
  9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. If you can't tell from a slow motion replay or a screen shot, you can't fault the official for the call.

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

200 level on the end line.

Looking again though, those are almost entirely gone. Big sales in the past couple of days I guess.

11. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
  12. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the purpose of most every goal celebration?

WraithXx and CrazyDCFan repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's interesting the bias that makes people take the assertion "Mexico is a Top 16 team" as more credible than the assertion "USA is a Top 16 team."

All things considered, at the A-level (adult, first team), the USA has had better results in games that matter, against top non-CONCACAF opposition, in the last years.

Taking the last four years:

ITA 3-1 USA (2009 FCC)
    USA 0-3 BRA (2009 FCC)
    USA 3-0 EGY (2009 FCC)
    ESP 0-2 USA (2009 FCC)
    USA 2-3 BRA (2009 FCC)
    ENG 1-1 USA (2010 WC)
    MEX 1-1 RSA (2010 WC)
    USA 2-2 SLO (2010 WC)
    FRA 0-2 MEX (2010 WC)
    ALG 0-1 USA (2010 WC)
    MEX 0-1 URU (2010 WC)
    ARG 3-1 MEX (2010 WC)
    GHA 2-1 USA (2010 WC)
    ITA 2-1 MEX (2013 FCC)
    MEX 0-2 BRA (2013 FCC)
    MEX 2-1 JPN (2013 FCC)

Total Meaningful Top Level games played, points, GD:

USA = 9 -- 11/-1 Avg. = 1.2 points per game
    MEX = 7 -- 7/-3 Avg. = 1.0 points per game

The sample is small by necessity, but these are the crucial games, when teams are truly tested against strong competition.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great run out by our guys and JK keeps getting all the tactics correct.

At our watch party in the Heights of Houston we rocked the bar so well, all the goals helping of course, that the biker gang that had rolled in that morning to post up complimented our people for holding it down for our flag like we did.

A great day was had by all, DALE U.S.A.!!!

Bajoro repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Oh no. I, for one, can't wait to get the Ajax of 80/90's so I can stand in line to get my club card and register and be searched going into the stadium. I yearn for the days when, visiting my family in Glasgow, I had to ditch half my wardrobe because it was either green or blue and either one was a recipe for an altercation.

Seriously, the death of soccer in the US is when it ceases to be family entertainment.

No one should wish for that.

16. write one

write one Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sadly I missed a good photo op driving on I95 into Baltimore for the game: a female ES fan hanging her scantily-clad booty out of a side car window, bouncing said booty up and down and waving her country's flag at the same time. My traveling companion was too helpless with laughter to get the shot. I really wanted to post that one here!

CeltTexan repped this.
  17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Was this before or after their collective booty was kicked?

EDIT: Never mind. Reading comprehension and all that...

18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should a soccer game have to be a place you would be scared to take your family? It doesn't need to be family entertainment the way Sesame Street Live or the Circus is family entertainment, but a soccer game can and should be a safe place. That was my problem with Baltimore yesterday. They were woefully unprepared for something that should have been so easy to foresee and just as easy to keep more or less under control, even as El Salvador was getting smacked around on the field.

William Penn, write one and freisland repped this.
  19. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree he has been the player of the tournament. But we know what he can do this was more so just to make a point to him and the team. To LD that while you are great no one is above the team and to the team that I don't care who you are the team and the country come first. No including actual physical injury. Hence why he was snubbed for captain and it was given to Beaz. I'm sure LD has pull in that locker room tho.

And I'm sure the scores wouldn't be as high without LD here cause he is on a different level than any player we've played against. However, lets wait and see if he can do it against better competition. This isnt exactly testing him right now. He will have his starting spot back. Mostly likely left wing. Dempsey isn't as versatile and needs to be underneath the forward to maximize his skills. Zusi has been great out right. And between the 3 they can switch throughout the game.

20. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    It's a CONCACAF issue. They schedule and pay for the stadium and presumably the included security as well. If anybody is going to bring in extra security, it would have to be them. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Parents are too protective of kids in this country anyway. Maybe a not so "family friendly" experience once in a while wouldn't be such a bad thing. This generation, I swear... when these helmet wearing, play date having, stranger fearing kids grow up and take over we are all screwed.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you in general about parents being too paranoid etc... As a parent I see it all around me (and sometimes fall into the trap myself). Yesterday was absolutely not an example of that. I think it depends on what you mean by "family friendly" and "not family friendly". Were you at this particular game? I've been at games with unruly and drunk fans. I've had stuff thrown on me and at me quite a few times at US games. Those games have also involved a security presence. There was no presence at all in the stands yesterday. I don't at all blame any parents that left early with their kids or decided not to come back to a game again any time soon. The same type of crap was happening at the last GC final. I wasn't at that game, so I don't know what the security presence (or lack of it) was like.

jackiesdad repped this.
  22. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I wasn't there so I can't comment on it relative to games I have been to. I've been to club games in Mexico that involved a lot of that kind of behavior, but they always had a good security presence.

It is a CONCACAF issue and pretty much a common occurance in the Gold Cups - Panama v Mexico in 2009 also comes to mind. They are probably cutting corners with regard to cost by not including more security. I'm not sure how you would get them to respond.

23. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Yes because there is nothing more manly than throwing beer.

and yes I was at the game yesterday, and had my kids with me, and knew what to expect because we have done it before and will do it again.

exref, SJB, Lowecifer and 4 others repped this.
  24. write one

write one Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I was at the game yesterday and besides what I've already mentioned we saw a ES female fan launch herself into the air over several rows (could almost not believe our eyes) and land on US fans and start swinging. Punches were thrown and the fans were left to sort it out themselves because no security was anywhere to be found. Quite the dust up and a little scary. (and right after that the ES group threw tons of beer on Donavan as he was getting ready for his corner kick.) but it was the fist fight that seemed a bit extreme. (btw can't stand overprotective parents!)

25. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Don't understand how a city or its venue could allow the assembly of tens of thousands of passionate football fans at a FIFA international event without mandating that adequate security is both present and displayed, independent of what the dumass confederation wants to do. The potential dangers for personal injury and the lofty financial repercussions far outweigh the outlay, I don't care what the back of the ticket says. The words 'depraved indifference' come to mind.