US vs Denmark 1/20/07 @Home Depot Center, CA

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Ikari, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Re: Hooligans or Roligans

What you are implying is idiotic.

So let me recap:
    Wanting a more hostile home field advantage is going to cause mass riots and we are all going to eventually end up throwing tear gas on the field during the Chivas USA-FC Dallas game in 2009 right?

How long has it been since you have left your house?

2. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Hooligans or Roligans

Oh come on, you think that's really that big of a logistical leap? ;)

It's sad that we have fans that are actually discouraging yelling at games, but I guess that's the current state of US Soccer culture. I think it needs to be changed so that there's actual enthusiasm and energy at games, but maybe that's where Bigjake and the rest of us disagree.

Have you ever been to a college athletic event? Like where Wisconsin hockey fans all yell out "sieve!" at the opposing goalie in unison when the Badgers score? Where Duke fans hold up mug shots of opposing players?

But I guess in your world, the chanting of "airball" at a high school basketball game leads to looting, rioting, and throwing tear gas at police.:rolleyes:

Seriously dude, you need to get out more.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    No. It's hoolie or yobbo wanabees like yourself that talk trash & start problems, then take off when the $hit hits the fan, or are content to throw bottles, coins or batteries, etc.
    My first post was in response to post #181, calling for hostility towards the other team & a 'terrace culture'. Do you even know what you are talking about? It doesn't seem like it.
    I own season tickets in 3 sports. If I had more money, it would be 5. I don't want to see tactics such as those you espouse anywhere, whether it's a youth league game or an international match.
    I'm watching the Catania-Palermo rebroadcast now. If you want or enjoy video of ultras battling in the curva, then you're better off away from Sam's Army.

4. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Oh for the love of Baby Jesus and his new team RSL, why are we STILL discussing this on here? Go to this thread, it's much more suitable to such discussions.

5. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure you have, but your comments make me wonder if you've actually been to an MLS game...

That is so so far from being a possibility here as to be disheartening even.

I wish we had 1/8th the problem of preventing fans from being too aggressive in their support here. Even 1/16th.

As it is, I'm excited when I see an MLS game attendee cheer instead of just sitting on their hands.

- - - - - - -
    Anyway, won't god or zeus or shiva the destroyer please close this thread?
    It's way past it's freshness date.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I am a season ticket holder. What MLS does not need is people who feel it is their job to try to intimidate opposing players or visiting fans. There is a big difference between supporting your team, even in a raucous manner, & "terrace culture". I asked that poster if he even knew what the term meant. Do you?
    http://www.terracelinks.cjb.net/

7. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's irrelevant to MLS.

8. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm plenty familiar with terrace culture. Your suggesting that U.S. soccer fans creating an intimidating environment is somehow going to lead to violence and death is completely ridiculous, inaccurate, and a logical leap of epic proportions.

I want U.S. Soccer fans to be loud and rowdy - to the point of being obnoxious to the other team. That to me is an intimidating place for opposing teams.

If that to you means violence, hooliganism, and rioting, then I'm sorry for your complete inability to avoid reading between the lines and suggesting ridiculous ideas like fan violence.

I've been part of more rowdy student sections than I can remember. We were loud, hostile to opponents, and heckled players/coaches/fans. None of it ever escalated to violence, nor would I want it to. I would never, ever condone any sort of violent act to opposing teams or their fans.

The environment at the vast majority of MLS and USMNT games is so far from what you're speaking of that it's quite humorous that you suggest that there could be that type of behavior at a US game.

Next time someone scolds me at a US game for standing up or being loud I'll be sure to apologize to you over a PM.

9. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I think it's you that doesn't know what a terrace culture is. Terrace culture does not always lead to violent riots or hooliganism. Terrace Culture in England consisted of supporters standing, singing, and yelling the whole 90 minutes. There were no censors and they could say whatever they want. Now, I'm not saying we all need to turn into foul mouth Englishmen but why can't we heckle the other team? Why not make in uncomfortable for their players and fans? So in all honesty your idea of terrace culture comes from a nasty stereotype. Look something up before you bash what was a great tradition and what really helped teams create intimidating home grounds.

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Terrace culture

I don't sit at games, I stand & sing with fellow supporters, whether it's Sam's Army or ESC. I don't try to confront opposing fans or intimidate players. There's a big difference between taunting & trying to intimidate. Sam's Army is a great group of fans who thoroughly support the USMNT. Read the WC threads & watch the videos.
    There's no need for the type of behavior you desire. With your attitudes, it's better that you don't stand with SA.
    I don't know if you travel to support your team on the road. I don't mean Chivas! I prefer to enjoy meeting other fans & partying with them. I don't look for problems & usually don't find them.

11. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Re: Terrace culture

Who said anything about confronting opposing fans? You seem to be making things up as we go along. Chanting and taunting opposing fans is nothing new to soccer. And no there really isn't a big difference between taunting and intimidation. They go hand in hand. I'm starting to think you have no basis for this argument other than you disapprove of fans being anything other than PC at games. Your opinion of Sam's Army is your opinion but because I don't share this opinion I'm some sort of a hooligan and my "ilk" and I shouldn't be allowed at US games? Is that kind of where this is going?

Just admit it, you're the reason there are ties in Little League baseball. Admit it!

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003

Who posted this?
    "Riot Squad seems more like an in your face, try and mess with the other team and their supporters group. ... That type of hostility towards the other team is what the US needs".
    Of course, you could just be all talk, which is OK, as long as you understand that others don't agree with you.

13. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005

Yes, I said that.

Where does it say physically confront the other supporters? By in your face I meant chant things that aren't exactly suitable to all ears. Such as "you went down like a Copenhagen whore." Now, while inappropriate it's damn funny and a very appropriate insult at a soccer game. You seem to think that chanting and making fun of the other team and it's players leads to rioting and hooliganism. Did you ever go to a basketball game in High School? Or have you ever gone to a college game? You say we don't need my kind but I'm not sure your AYSO Soccer Mom style is exactly the way to go either.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Terrace culture

In your face means physical confrontation.
    http://www.gustavhasford.com/Full3.htm
    Unless you're Fishbone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fishbone_In_Your_Face.jpg
    I've participated in as well as seen full-scale battles in high school & college. They were stupid & pointless then, and are now. I've attended more sporting events than you'll ever dream of seeing, easily 40-50 each year. I've travelled thousands of miles to see a single game.
    http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2005i/1008_dc_met_ajm/web_86_ajm.jpg
    We don't need your kind.

15. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you are taking this way too far. Just because people want to yell out at a soccer game "you suck ref" or "chim chimney chimney chim chim cheroo, we hate the bastards in red and blue" DOESN'T mean that they want to take a lead pipe to someone in a parking lot.

No matter how many times you say it or how many wiki links you provide, you can't leap to that conclusion.

16. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV

And they said the game would never sell:
    [​IMG]
    :D

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Terrace culture

I'm not worried about what people yell or sing, especially when it's to Mary Poppins tunes. What bothers me is talk about getting in the face of opposing fans or trying to intimidate others; then they show up in my section or parking lot.

18. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005

Once again, you are jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

Where did anyone say anything about getting in the face of opposing fans or having a parking lot bust up? If you could provide a quote it would be great.

19. pweakland

pweakland Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Riot Squad seems more like an in your face, try and mess with the other team and their supporters group. ..."

20. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Kumbaya my lord...kumbaya...kumbaya my lord...kumbaya...

21. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what needs to be cleared up is what you both mean by intimidate...I think everyone, at least I would like to think everyone, here is in agreement that the more rowdy and "intimidating" the atmosphere to the opposing players the better.

22. pweakland

pweakland Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or how will other team's supporters groups respond to someone getting in their face and trying to mess with them?

23. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Jesus, to clarify "mess with" doesn't always mean physically confront for a parking lot bust up. Chanting at them does the trick just as well in my experience and in no way meant to say I want to start a hooligan group. However, for those of you playing the jump to conclusions game you will find out I used to be the head of a large firm in England before Scotland yard forced me to take my operations across the pond.

24. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Oh no! *jumps and lands on "Loose One Turn"*
    Damnit! :mad:

25. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a Galaxy fan from LA. I assume you've been to Victoria Street for games, right? You know exactly who and what LARS is. Why are you making it into a gang of crobar wielding skinheads? It's a band of Star Trek nerds who also like soccer. I mean that in the most positive of ways.