US vs Colombia

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Yank22, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
  2. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find,

At least we'll have a warm up match leading up to the next couple of qualifiers that will be against better competition than we had this time (Hammarby, UCLA)

3. MiamiCanes69

MiamiCanes69 New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Orange Bowl hopefully

4. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translation:

"The president of the Colombian football federation confirmed that after cancelling the friendly match with Paraguay, they have made other matches with Mexico and USA for preparation for the next WC qualifiers.

We're not going to play on 2/9 like we had thought but we're going to play two important matches before the Venezuela and Argentina matches. 2/23 against Mexico and 3/9 agains the US. Astudillo indicated that the Colombian team would travel to those countries."

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Aside of the 1994 WC, the US had not had the greatest time against Columbia. Primarily, that was because the Columbians can put out a very strong physical team.

IMO, this would be a very good test for the US, especially if the opponents bring in their top line-up as they should, given their WCQ requirements.

6. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks like you guys where gonna have to deal with ILC before he got red carder again lol

7. This should be a fairly competitive match. I am sure that the Columbian players will be happy to come to America so that they can go shopping. I wonder how many flat-screen TV's they will buy.

8. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    Colombia will not bringing their strongest side cause they never bring their european players to friendlys. But expect a competive gamae with solid players coming to play.

9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    We've only beaten them once and like sidefooter said they will be a good test. The real question is where will this game be, where are there a bunch of Columbians?

10. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    Miami and NYC, doubt the game will be in NY since I dont remember the last time the US played there.

11. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Simply not worth the money to get the grass trays in, and most other NTs wont play on the carpet, FIFA approved or not.

12. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    Doesnt Giants Stadium have grass until the start of Football season, and they could also play at Shea Stadium which have hosted Colombia games before.

13. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana
    I doubt NYC very much since they already get some Gold Cup games. Miami should be the host, because US won't play any games there for the GC.

14. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    How do you know the US will play any games at Giants Stadium, If i had to guess they will play there games in Seattle, Home Depot Center or Foxboro.

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    That makes sense, so have you seen Mike and Carrol's new chainsaw? They will be making their new 12' x 12' cabin in no time. Mike's almost done with his manifesto but don't get me started on Carrol's.

16. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana
    Because Giants Stadium is hosting the semifinals and the final. If they don't make it there, rioting will occur. Also, the US is most likely going to be in Group B, where the first 2 games are in Seattle and the third is in Foxboro. Sorry if this is getting off topic.

17. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    OFF Topic: Any word what the teams are goign to be for the Gold Cup?
    Topic: Do you think Bruce will us MLS players for this game or mix it up a little, maybe bringing Spector or maybr Rogers in for alook.

18. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana
    I heard that chainsaw has over 200 horsepower. Brilliant!!! But only 12' by 12'? Surely they jest. About Carol, I hear ya pardner.

19. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also thought that when we beat them in 94 that this was the first time, but I just looked it up and it looks like we beat them in 1984 in a friendly in Los Angeles, winning 1-0.

20. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Beat them 1-0 in the mid 80's in LA on an Adie Cocher goal.

21. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Beat me to it. Watched in on Univison.

US team got doused with beer, spit on and had things thrown at them most of the match. Poor security guards were bewildered. Didn't know what hit them.

22. Greywacke

Greywacke New Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Huntington Beach
    I saw somewhere that one of the guys who regularly covers the Galaxy for Matchnight/SoCal Soccer was around USMNT training this week and asked Bruce if any WQC's were coming to the HDC. I think Bruce's response was that they (the USSF) were working on setting up a game there, but his wording made it seem like it would be a friendly and not a WCQ (at least in the near future). Given that Bruce will likely keep training at the HDC at least until the MLS season starts, perhaps he was referring to this match vs. Colombia. I readily acknowledge that's reading a lot into a little.

23. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    This makes sense - I guess it depends if BA will be calling in the Euros. If so, this makes a long journey even longer...

24. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    since the mexico match is two weeks after this friendly, I highly doubt regular euros will be involved in the camp much less the friendly...

mls guys will use this for match sharpness....

I can't fathom arena plucking any euro player during the midst of their regular season...

at least colombia offers a stylistically comparable preparation for mexico..

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Outside of Juan Pablo Angel, how many Columbian national teamers are in Europe?

Is Yepes still with Nantes? Cordoba's with Inter.

Other than that, they could field almost the same squad.