US versus Colombia-post game

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jan 28, 2023.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Good post, agree with almost everything. Want to further emphasize where P.Aaronson was getting fouled and the Bigsoccer community wanted to solely say he needs to get stronger. While I agree he needs to get stronger but he was getting hammered over and over and no call and then Aaronson seemed to get disheartened. Still think Neal is getting advanced without getting any first team minutes. I think he's talented but needs a year or two to earn and be able to be on the full national team. I think Hoppe was good and bringing the ball down and equally terrible at holding the ball and making the appropriate shot, pass, or holding of the ball. He continually gave the ball away. Tolkin looked more solid but just doesn't have the overall game to play the International game. I like Wiley slightly over Gomez, with those 2 and Paredes being top LB options.

Pegasus repped this.
  2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I don't know what Sabbi has to do with it. But, Hoppe did at least as much as Cowell did, except that Paxton robbed Hoppe of an assist. (not an evaluation of Paxton's overall play). And, the fact that Hoppe pretty much had to turn the opposition over to get the ball in an advanced position.

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It's a big disappointment to me that choosing Hudson to interim means playing Berhalter ball and Berhalter bias's (No Ebobisse).

If we've learned anything in 3 years of Berhalter ball, it's that a 9 will get zero service.

4. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Notes:

- the parking situation was awful. This was a sold out game and I saw two traffic cops, both of which were hiding behind their cars and neither of which was directing traffic. They were both talking it up, however. The only other cops there were blocking entrances to stadium parking. The contrast between LA and other places I have lived is stark. Places in the South, Southwest, and Midwest had people-first approaches to getting traffic in and out that minimize congestion. Los Angeles prioritizes paying corrupt politicians. California is the new Tammany Hall.

- The crowd was overwhelmingly Colombian, who made for a fantastic fan experience. Their lively and warm support and made a friendly in January a really fun game. I have been to many games, including World Cups and Copa Americas, and I would say that this one was easily the best friendly game atmosphere I have been to in some time.

- The contrast in fan support was dramatic. Colombian fans brought their families…down to the little ones (new babies, etc), and American fans were varied but much less family-oriented. You could say that the net message of Colombian fans toward their team was “You are us, we love you” while American fan support is “F you, we are American…oh yeah, and F this player and F that coach”. It is embarrassing. USMNT Twitter on display in a stadium is 100% embarrassing. Imagine being a dual national player and seeing that…it makes you think twice for sure. “Do I want to represent this bunch of entitled a-holes?”

On to the players…

- Sam Rogers is bigger in person than he is on screen. He’s also a bit more stiff, but not much. He’s confident and assertive on defense. I think that there will be more of him in the future.

- Paul Arriola was our best player followed by Ferreira. Arriola really stands out in person because of his explosiveness and intensity. This is a really good player who was blooded in Mexico and should not be discounted moving forward. He is better now than he was this time last year. For him to be this fit and this good of an athlete, he has to be very serious and professional in his preparation. Those guys grow in their performance and keep their bodies fit for longer.

- Aaronson got a bad rap because he missed some chances and was bullied, but don’t sleep on him. He has a more cerebral game than his brother that will rely less on his physical attributes.

- Tolkin looked the part.

- Hoppe has some work to do.

- Not sure that Williamson is at this level.

ChrisSSBB and Boysinblue repped this.
  5. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    rewatched and you're exactly right. Hoppe should have taken the shot, he just should have put more into it and maybe gone up high. Either way the shot was the right choice.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  6. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK

You love you some Arriola, said the same after the first game in your comments.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, we all have our biases and favorites.

Pegasus and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    There used to be a fairly all-encompassing theme in American fandom that the only way to be a soccer fan is to emulate English soccer fans - or, more accurately, the American perception of English soccer fans.

To be sure, this was helped along by English soccer fans who idiotically and provencially said "soccer is not a family sport." "You're not a 'real fan' unless you spew vulgarities and get too drunk."

Maybe as we get better at soccer, we'll grow out of the myth that we have to emulate the English wrt everything that has to do w/ soccer.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I always take a closer look at players who are criticized and who are hyped. I also like to watch the players closely who are forgotten. Do they deserve criticism? Do they deserve hype? Should they be forgotten?

My opinions on players change based on their performances, not because they are favorites. Every time I see Arriola play he stands out in several ways. He may shank a shot, but he also may create the shot and several other chances including an assist or the play that led to a goal. If we are pressing, I think that he’s probably the best press player in the pool. He is still growing as a player while people who have twitter grudges against him want to discount him.

Bottom line is, he is a contributor who is one of our guys. Not only is he one of our guys, but he is one of the good ones. He goes out there and busts his ass for our team at a home stadium full of people supporting another country. I’m not going to have much of a bad word about a guy like that.

tomásbernal repped this.
  9. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    That would be fantastic.

10. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    "The Votes are in! Walker Zimmerman is our MOTM!" - US Soccer

This, my friends, is why Ernie left.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  11. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    What?

12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Arriola at the international level is consistently better than guys like Roldan and Lletget. It is a bit unfair that he gets lumped in with them. Otoh, we have quite a few wide attacking players who are more interesting to me. Paul's best chance for a WC was 2024 and it is a small injustice (as well as loss to the team) that he was left off the squad.

Boysinblue, Mike03, majspike and 4 others repped this.
  13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Not so sure. :ROFLMAO:

More likely it was: “Play my kid or I’ll dig up dirt on you too!” ;)

14. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I agree. I believe he would have offered more than Morris and he may have been a better guy to have go out there to bust ass against Wales following the Reyna debacle. A guy like that reminds everyone else what they are there for.

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well this match exceeded expectations. I thought we would have learned nothing but we have learned that not one player who played in either match deserves another callup unless and until they actually show something at the club level with at least a decent club against decent opposition.
    So we did learn "something."

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Arriola will be at the next WC as this was his best shot bit being in person is a better way to see players than on TV. You can see all of the stuff the camera doesn't show and then get mad at players who don't pass to those making runs or who are wide open. Arriola does lots of runs and pressing that isn't always given love by cameras. If he could up his scoring and / or assists 25-50% he'd be in a much better league.

17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    He’s always in the right spots making the right runs. This game was 0-0 because Hoppe and other players couldn’t hit an open Arriola making the back post run in the box.

18. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK

There were two chances that should have been goals outside of the Hoppe shot:

1. Hoppe's lay off to Paxton who shanked it
    2. then the other shank by Paxton

Additionally, Vasquez missed one that he was maybe .4 seconds off of

If you do a re-watch, as has been stated, the non pass by Hoppe had a defender there. Now could it have worked? Yes, but not as easily as it looked during live action.

I

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pass to Arriola wasn't a gimme but a left footed curler would have hit him in stride. Conversely if he hits a screamer that was a goal or made the keeper make a great save we're probably not talking about this. As for missed chances I thought Ferreira had one that he took an extra touch when a first time shot was called for. To advance he may need to go to a tougher league where he learns that he doesn't have time to dally but he's also such an odd fit that unless he finds a team willing to play him as a second striker or a coach who can really advance his false nine game he's kind of stuck. At FCD Nico needs to get some advice on how to improve his false nine game because he's not going to two forwards.

tomásbernal and Kirium repped this.
  20. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Head up, quick release. Tough play, yes, but these guys can make those plays. Hoppe included.

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The cops weren’t there to get cars into and out of the parking lots quicker. That sort of service costs big bucks in a place where cops earn a good wage.

22. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    You're right, forgot about the Ferreira one.

23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to agree. In any top 5 league in the world, I think you could bet that probably over 50% of the time, the striker is going to hit that instead of pass it. And I agree what was missing was the umpf behind it and the placement to get the goal.

But I don’t think Kyle Martino is the best commentator out there either.

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say that Cowell, Zendejas, Vazquez, and Tolkin are four that I would bring into next camp.... even if they’re not starters yet. Maybe DeJuan Jones too.

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have liked to see Jones on the left longer. It's spot with much weaker depth.