US v Trinidad and Tobago [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by clavs, Oct 29, 2002.

1. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida

i agree...of course i always agree wiht people who like aly, but...she is a college player...and fitness is a whole different issue in college. i think once she gets into the wusa her fitness will improve and she'll be a lot better. plus the poor girl has played a ton of soccer this past couple years....but still

2. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Well here's the thing.... Most college teams could beat the crap out of T&T. probably something like 4-1. But if they played any other team in the tourney they would play both sides of the ball. Where as when ANY crappy team plays us they bunker. So a 3-0 win over a bunker is different than say a 9-0 blow out on team who doesn't bunker. Remember Scotland? They tried to play us they didn't just put all 10 players behind the ball all the time.

3. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida

good point...and we are changing around the formations...

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in love with Brandi.

In my next life we're going to be married. :)

Didn't think the game was as bad as some have said. It ain't easy to go up against 10 packed in in the back.

Lilly played great.

5. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    WNT v/s T&T

first off they played the 4-3-3
    and they played against a bunker defense. I do
    feel the final pass was off, and the finishing left alot to be desired. in large part i would argue that it's due to an inconsistant starting roster. Geez Ape, Pick a starting roster and stick with it, your harming the chemistry of the team.

Mia is ok. She suffer a deep bone bruise to her R Shin, and bone bruises are incredibly painful. I know i've had one. I expect to see Mia in the starting line up against Panama.

6. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Well, I was at the game and have a few comments. I had seats that were way up and gave a beautiful, full view of the entire field.

First of all, it was clear from my vantage point that the US WAS playing a 4-3-3 formation - and they kept their shape really well. They had Mia, Mac and Parlow up top. There were some great passes and plays, but no great finishing, unfortunately.

However, while the Trini team was SUPPOSEDLY playing a 5-4-1 formation it sure as hell looked like a 9-1 formation!! As Ape said in a post game interview, there were always at least 7 players behind the ball at any given time - sheeeesh!! talk about a major bunker defense.

The Trini girls were also like a bunch of gnats - constantly running at the ball and whoever had it. It was actually difficult to get a clean shot off that wasn't either being pressured or blocked by 5 bodies. I swear, at times it seemed like there were 10 players in the box - sheesh!! However, yes, there WERE a few shots that weren't, and certainly should have found the back of the net, but it seemed like they were playing it as if it WAS a pressure shot.

Considering that, it was clear T-n-T were NOT playing to win, but playing to not get a severe ass-kicking. To that goal, they succeeded very well. 30-1 in SOG and only a 3-0 loss.

As for Wagner, I didn't find her all that impressive last night. I'm not saying she was horrible, just not the wunderkind. One shot in particular was a clear to the bench when she had at least one player open that she should have and could have passed it to.

Anyway, I wish the regional Fox channel was reairing this (it's on FSW right now, but my friend doesn't get that channel) as I'd like to see how it looked on tv, vs. how it looked from the stands.

Norma

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the one poster who thought our strategy was strange - if we'd pressured high up we would have caused a lot more turnovers and quick counterstrikes, rather than laying back, causing the turnover, but only having very slow counterstrikes as a result.

8. MIAfanatic9

MIAfanatic9 New Member

Aug 20, 1999
    22/f NYC

I agree with those of you who said April must be more consistent with who she's starting. I'm glad Millie showed her that she deserves to be out there. In my opinion this game was really boring and I still think we have a lot of shaping up to do if we want to win it all.

Anymore updates on Mia??

C

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  10. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Costa Rica dominated Central American qualifying. I imagine they will be much better than Panama, maybe about on Mexico's level. So, they could make it at least a little interesting for the US - and make it very interesting if they somehow beat Canada out for Group B. At the very least, they have a good chance of getting past Mexico for the playoff spot.

11. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Panama could score 4 and USA 3, does that mean Panama has better forwards ?

12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They could only score 4 against a team playing at the U14 youth level. Which is EXACTLY how T&T played against them.

Against a decent defense it is VERY doubtful that they will get 4 shots much less 4 goals. After all they only managed one against the Mexican non-defense.

The US may be attakcing VERY poorly but the US's defense is MUCH too good to allow a horrible team like any of the CONCACAF teams, except Canada, to score many, if any, goals.

The so called international players and coaches from the other CONCACAF countries are just to terible to even have a remote chance.

Also, Costa Rica is just as horrible as the rest and Canada is willing to score so they will walk through their groop even easier than the US wil walk through theirs.

If the Ape would just allow the team to play the US could score 10 against the walking cones from Panama. Look what Mexico did to them.

13. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    vs.Panama

Me thinks there will be no change in tactics but possibly a change in the agressive levels and determination from the individual players to take the opportunities, but thats about it. They are playing for the points in this one, no simi-final match-up with Canada is the agenda here. Look for 4-0 for the US in this one if they play like the T&T game, higher if the don't.

14. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    It means that T&T wasn't playing the same type of defense against Panama that they played against the US. For the entire game, their was about 10 people behind the ball on each possesion. I don't care how good of attackers we have, thats a hard wall to break through. A 3-0 result against a bunker is very much like a 9-0 win against a team playing a normal formation.

Jay

15. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    It is really too bad that the US cannot have two teams in the World Cup because with the level of competition like T & T and Mexico, it is going to real boring soccer. The US won't even be challenged until the final two rounds. I guess the US second team are the people in the pool. Those scrimmages and games have to be better than what we seen so far.

16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not think you need to worry about many extremely weak teams making the WWC. Only 16 team are going and the way the regions are set I doubt that there will be more than two that are even as weak as Mexico at its best.

This is the current info from FIFA.
    Includes my guesses for the regions where the tounament has not been played yet or where there are games left.

======================

AFC (Aisa) Tournament April/May 2003 The host is not even known for this tournament
    1. N. Korea (They appear to be on form right now by many reports)
    2. ????? Any of 6 teams ?????
    3. Playoff with #3 CONCACAF. The third place team in AFC is probably better than the third place from CONCACAF unless a miracle happens.

CONCACAF (North and Central America) Tournament current
    1. US
    2. Canada
    3. ?????? (Mexico probable) Playoff with #3 AFC

CAF (Africa) Tournament 7th-21st December 2002
    1. Nigeria
    2. ?????? Who Knows ????????

CONMEBOL (South America) Tournament February/March 2003
    1. Brazil
    2. ?????? Peru ???????

OFC (South Pacific) Tournament 4-13 April, 2003
    1. Australia Who else is there?????

UEFA (Europe)
    1. Germany Already in
    2. Norway Already in
    3. Russia Already in
    4. Sweden Already in
    5. ???????? (To be decided) France probable. Beat England 1-0 in England. Second game in France 16 November 2002. Total goals wins.

Host
    1. China

This is the link to the FIFA site for China 2003.

17. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    There will be some awful teams in China. Except for Brazil, all South American teams are awful beyond words and they get two spots. No decent teams in Africa once you get past Nigeria and they have two slots. Mexico or a poor Asian team will provide a third poor team into the tournament.

CONCACAF (2.5) - Likely US and Canada. Mexico or Costa Rica likely for the playoff vs AFC

UEFA (5) - Norway, Germany, Sweden, Russia, and likely France (England otherwise)

CAF (2) - Nigeria a virtual lock. Likely South Africa, Ghana, or Cameroon for the second slot.

OFC (1) - Likely Australia - New Zealand is the only other side with any chance

CONMEBOL (2) - Brazil a virtual lock. Argentina likely best of a remaining poor lot.

AFC (2.5) - Likely N Korea and Japan. Likely S Korea or Chinese Taipei into playoff vs CONCACAF

Host (1) China

18. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    I was just thinking today that if Mexico comes in third place they could have a rough time trying to beat a team like So. Korea. Last time they only had to beat Argentina.

19. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
  20. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet

it was a trick question and that was a smart answer JayJay.

21. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    I think we should have more women soccer tournament in this region in order for the team like : T&T, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, Haiti and the likes to gain more experience in order to catch up with the undisputed World Champ USA, Canada, Mexico so that there will be more competition between the team and entertain the fans more and in the end the quality women soccer in this region will be more spread just like Europe continent.

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Here is Beulah's write-up of the match.....

http://www.beulahsports.com/gc2002_arch_10_29_02.html

23. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    Thanks

Jay