Pre-match: US V Netherlands Pre match (R's)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by MtMike, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Orozco did so bad, actually. Maybe we'd be better off with a 352 with 2 wingbacks and Bradley in the middle?

how about

-Orozco-----Bradley------Wynne-
    -------Ianni--Parkhurst--Edu-----

2. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    It depends on what Rogers assignment is. Rogers is actually a very good defender if you have watched any Crew games or the WC U-20 last year. he has good feet and can cover quite well. If Nowak wants him to play more as third forward and have Orasco play back thats not going to happen.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Not doubting you, just curious where you saw this.

Would certainly be odd to choose not to go. I mean, how often does that kinda thing happen where you say "nah, I'm gonna chill in the room and play X-Box a take a nap."

4. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Brazil was pretty cocky in U-20's last tear as well.

5. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Oh god, please no Ianni against Holland.:confused: I still see Nowak going with this lineup, a lineup I really like and think could get the win. -I do like the idea someone mentioned of just having Edu and Parkhurst switching sides, Edu covers more ground to help cover for Orozco, and I really hope Feilhaber can go 90, his vision, and ability to hold possession and dictate the pace of the game will be vital in this game.

------------------Guzan----------------
    Wynne----Parkhurst----Edu(C)----Orozco
    ------------Bradley----Feilhaber---------
    Szetella---------------------------Holden
    -------------------Adu------------------
    -----------------Altidore-----------------

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One would be better off playing Freddy Adu at CB than Ianni.
    I'm a fan of the Dynamo and I like Ianni as a person but he is no bueno.

7. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    No Rogers and Holden playing on his bad foot? Thats a strange one.

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Thats the attitude folk around the world love to hear from American fans.
    It's not like the Dutch coach said it would be an easy match for his players, it's just different from the Nigerian team. His comments may be a bit misguided because anyone who watches US Soccer knows hot talented Adu, Rogers and Jozy are but he did not say the US team sux and we'll beat them so bad they'll wish there was a mercy score in soccer.

Take it easy fellas.

9. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I was watching the Dutch game against the nigerians, and they were playing quite physically. I'd be worried about Orozco being hustled off the ball, and Ianni would be a good match against the physical play. Wynne and Edu should hold up fine against the physical play, and Parky will do well with cleaning up balls just in front of the defense.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Ives cats his vote ...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/08/photo-by-isipho.html

With the heat and humidity in China making such a quick turnaround very difficult, Nowak figured to be making several lineup changes from the first to the second game anyway. Now, with several disappointing performances against Japan, Nowak will have even more motivation for the various changes he will likely make.

With that in mind, here is the starting XI I {Ives} see the U.S. team fielding against the Netherlands:

Projected USA lineup vs. the Netherlands

----------------Altidore------------------

Holden-----------Adu-----------Feilhaber

------------Bradley----Szetela------------

Orozco-----Parkhurst--Edu------Wynne

------------------Guzan-------------------

{Ives goes on to explain his choices.}

11. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    United States Of America: 2
    Nederlande: 2

Goals brought to you by: Altidore and Bradley (if he plays - does he ever not play?) - otherwise Altidore and Adu (set piece). Bradley gives a stuff it to Nederlande bench

Check-it

12. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I thought Orozco played well. His positioning got him into trouble at times but is one on one defending was pretty good. As a team if they give Holland the opportunites that they gave the ******** we will be in trouble.

13. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    So was Poland after that first goal. They thought it was gonna be a walk in the park....

14. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    The first 20 minutes will be very important for this team; I could see the Dutch coming out and trying to grab a quick goal to set the tempo of the game. If the US can get through that, they have a good chance of getting a result in this game.
    If the Dutch score early (and first), I'm not sure this team can chase the game against a better side, man for man.

15. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    On the way into the stadium he said "Isn't this the country where Tibet is getting the shaft?" and the Chinese police broke though the bus windows and dragged him off to be detained.

Or maybe not.

16. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Only an idiot would put Szetela in the middle but Feilhaber on the wing.
    And this is a professional soccer writer.

17. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    FYP :D

18. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    More proof that Ives knows no more than your average BS poster.

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Ding.

20. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    That's because he is one.

21. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Is this the same Ives who a few months ago posted a Onyewu to Juventus rumour without bothering to check it's accuracy (the original article from whence the rumour came actually turned out to be a few years old)? i'd say your average BS poster knows more than Ives.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well........
    Szetela has played in the middle, and Feilhaber has played on the wing........

It makes more sense to reverse the two, though.

Other than that I can't find much fault in his lineup.

23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

This is the same guy who states young Bradley's brain farts are Donovan and the Boys fault. And also states the USMNT top players dont know how to play well together(all in an attempt to defend Young Bradley). So he is basically saying Bob Bradley dosent know how to coach the team. But, if you asked Ives right now at this moment what he thinks of Bob Bradley as our coach, he would say "He is the best man for the job, and has clearly shown it".

lol:rolleyes:

what a bias fool.

24. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Adu and Altidore do drift wide left in attack but there'd probably be a lot of open space for the Dutch rightback to move into.

McBride tends to drift wide early in attack, especially on throw in's, and he's gotten pretty good at checking back and keeping the ball moving. When in the final third he's obviously more effective in the middle and we desperately need some high width to make our attack work.

This depends on Rogers fitness, unless he was saving it against Japan he looked like he wasn't 100%. I'd also consider keeping Holden out wide if Babel is playing on that side because Danny does not have winger pace. If Szetela is in the center that would allow Bradley to push up and become the second target in the box giving Freddy the freedom to roam.

Orozco seems to be much more likely to be beaten for pace than bodied off the ball, and if the ref calls it tight he's in good shape because of his good positioning, shielding, and ball skills.

25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he usually does, although this does appear to be a strange choice for him considering that he usually knows the players.