US v. Honduras: Post Game Analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by uniteo, Jan 23, 2010.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    surprised not to see a thread already...well maybe not since apparently there were no US national team fans in LA aware of the game

US gets bombed 3-1

thanks to Conrad and Archundia for conspiring to kill the game in the 19th minute. Conrad trying to be too cute in slowing down a defender in the box after already receiving a yellow card...Archundia give Conrad a 2nd yellow and awards a pk for a little pull back despite the ball not making it within 25 yards of the fouled player...

Saw Klejstan's name in the starting lineup but thought it was some kind of ceremonial inclusion until actually seeing him on the field about the 40 minute mark

Disappointed that Feilhaber was not more able to impact the pace of the game.

Very disappointed that Bradley could not better organize his team after the ejection and, personally, not thrilled that he threw out a bunch of 3rd stringers without getting anybody new (save Bedoya) a decent run out.

definitely like those 2 hours back

2. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Bruce!

3. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Going to say this before all the crazy people get into the thread:

Bornstein played very well, even though he was slotted into an unfamiliar position. Nice to see that he got the captain's armband in the end. Didn't look half bad as CB either.

Benny had some good moments, but the lack of understanding between him and his teammates showed.

Cunningham didn't really show up tonight. Granted, he didn't see a lot of the ball, but even when he had the ball or had a chance to get it, he never seemed to really be putting out the effort.

Bedoya had some nice moves at the end there. Hope to see more of him in the future.

Let the rabid BS posters descend upon the rest of the team.

4. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    we suck. we've been absolutely clueless in the past four games...going back since October. nevermind England, Algeria and Slovenia are going to kill us

5. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I'd rather have had eleven Jeff Agoos's'ez.

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynne was awful and was at fault for goal #3. Conrad is too old. If you could graft Jimmy's head on Marvell's body, you'd have a starter for Barcelona.

It looked like the US strategy was to test the Honduras backline with a direct game for the first 15 minutes, then transition into a possession game. However, the red card scuttled any further strategy.

Also, I thought Cunningham played better than Findley. Robbie did not receive the ball cleanly once.

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Man, that was a good pizza I had.

8. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Set pieces were just about the only offense we had. Just not much to take away from this one. Forwards were out of sync. I thought Perkins was solid.

9. TFC USA

TFC USA New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Fire Marvell Wynne.

10. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Bornstein played pretty well all game long, which given our current deficiencies, is a pretty big plus out of an otherwise dissapointing game.

I would have liked to see one of the forwards really step it up, but they didn't have much of a chance to shine.

Meh.

Off to the bar to drown my sorrows.

11. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went with a tv dinner. Let my stomach suffer what my eyes were cursed with :D

12. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh not sure if you watched the game, but Jimmy's 'head' told him to get two yellows in the first 15 minutes.

13. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difficult game to judge because team played a man down-it goofs up the dynamics.

Biggest problem the first half was the spine was not controlling to ball and making nice touches. Team got really out of sync.

Rogers came to life second half, would like to have seen him finish the game. Benny finally woke up as well.

Wynne is strong and fast but man he really can't defend.

14. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kljestan's second half free kick where the ball didn't come within the same zip code as the goal was the most entertaining moment of the game.

15. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The team that played against Slovakia and Denmark and Honduras isn't going to be playing at the WC.

16. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanna see more of McCarty, Goodsen, Bedoya, Findley. I could do with out Casey,Cunningham and Wynne. Marshall looked confused on goal #3 even after Bornstein told him who to mark.

Honduras can only beat our 2nd unit MLS'ers. I wasn't to worried with the result to begin with but this was so bad that we didn't get to see what some of these players could do, thanks to Conrad and the back line.

17. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, remember Doctor D is a Real Madrid fan ;)

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to hear more about this pizza

19. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Cunningham [4.5],
    Findley [5],
    Rogers [6],
    Feilhaber [6.5],
    Beckerman [5.5],
    Kljestan [4],
    Bornstein [7],
    Conrad [2.5],
    Marshall [5],
    Wynne [3],
    Perkins [6][/LINEUP-4-4-2]
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]., Casey [5],
    B. Davis [6], McCarty [6], ., Bedoya [6.5],
    Pearce [6], ., Goodson [6.5], ., . [/LINEUP-4-4-2]

20. off the woodwork

off the woodwork New Member

May 24, 2008
    Nashville
    Odd that Bradley started Findlay and Cunningham together up top. The two speed forward combination has never been his choice.

Honestly, I didn't care too much about the game. Feilhaber and Bornstein are on the team. A few others are on the bubble but are not difference makers anyway.

These are not the droids you are looking for...

21. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Chances are good it would make the roster for South Africa.

22. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that was a waste of a Saturday night!! MLS guys continue their Gold Cup Final form.:(

I can't believe this team has been in a camp for three weeks,they play together like they don't even know each other's names.

If anybody doubted none of these guys were ready to step in for the injured guys,there is no doubt now. Everybody get well soon.....

Oh, FSC sucks too. Still have not seen a good replay of the PK/RC and the pbp guy is godawful. "Good first touch" on a ball Benny butchers. "I don't think nobody hasn't seen the pictures from Haiti"

23. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    Our player pool can cut: Jimmy Conrad, Marvell Wynne, Kyle Beckerman.everyone else played a terrible game. no one did themselves any favors, but Bornstein was strangely the MOTM for the US...that's how bad we sucked. bornstein was the best player.

The USMNT has regressed to about where it was in 98.

24. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had pizza too. :eek:

25. uiriamu

uiriamu Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Philly, (NC)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber: skilled, but can't boss a midfield, especially with players like Beckerman and Kljestan sharing the load.

Wynne: not a soccer player

Bornstein and Goodson: showed grit and heart.

Don't blame Bob for "not organizing the team better after the red." He wanted to use the friendly to compare Findley and Cunningham and he was willing to risk shipping more goals to keep the experiment going through the half. Gotta think that those two aren't going to combine very well though, knowing that they're in competition.