Post-match: US v Guatemala: The Pollyanna Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FOUL! Reading between the lines I have determined this to be a negative comment. Free kick, Pollyanna's.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 points early is good as it will hopefully allow Bradley more games later in the semis to experiment and use younger players.

3. Dan Roudebush

Dan Roudebush New Member

Mar 31, 1999

Yeah maybe he knows what he's doing, despite numerous comments to the contrary.

4. jsimm

jsimm Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 points in central America

a reasonbly well called game

composure under pressure

this may border on a foul but woke up to the floppin, cheatin, little turd out of LA

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's because we got a ref from Suriname, but it almost makes me think that we've turned the corner, and have become a respected team, at least in CONCACAF. You know, the team that is good, therefore gets the benefit of calls. Or, in this case, actually gets the calls they deserve.

To me this could be one of the more significant things to come out of this game. Historically, we could always count on an absurd call that would go against us (say, on a handball by our defender's forehead).

It didn't happen, and I was shocked. I was fully expecting that the Lewis assault perpetrator would get, at the most, a yellow card.

It was very satisfying to see him actually get sent off.

I know, it might not compare to all the other positives in this thread, but I thought I'd bring something a little different in, since the other positives have been pretty thoroughly covered.

6. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Yes, Bob is a great coach.

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, in the past, Lewis would have somehow ended up with the yellow...

1) No apparent lingering effects, speaking of Eddie...

2) 3 points. Always a plus.

3) Three points on the road. Double Plus.

4) Tim Howard - not only his play (which was borderline spectacular), but getting in the Fish's face. I'd pay real money to see that cage match...

5) Yet another set piece goal. Eventually, this might translate into better opportunities from the run of play, as teams will be not as quick to foul us near the box in fear of the set piece magic.

6) Did I mention the 3 points?

8. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    1) 3 points.

2) Passed the ball extremely well, movement off the ball was exceptional, and composure all over the field allowed us to keep possession of the ball and make the GUAT chase for long stretches. This also allowed us to create countless goal scoring opportunities.

3) Able to completely dominate an inferior opponent by attacking them all game, despite being on the road. We did not allow them to create any chances all game. The scoreline could have been much worse, given our squad's perfomance. I know the GUAT team is very weak, but this is still a positive.

4) Bob proves again he is a top quality coach. We are lucky to have him. I hope a top soccer nation or top club is not looking for a new coach soon.

9. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    * 3 points, and on the road no less.

* Good games from Howard, Onyewu, and Boca (who isn't one of my favorites heading into 2010, but deserves praise at both ends for this match).

* Solid games from Mastro, Bradley, and in the 2nd half from Ching, Edu, Beasley, and Hejduk.

* Timely and wise subs in the 2nd half.

* Team as a whole responded well to the pressure and the moments on the edge in the 2nd half.

* Chance to build a valuable cushion so that more of the U23's and older fringe guys like Cooper and Parkhurst can see some time soon.

10. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think sarcasm is kosher in the Pollyanna thread. It was funny though.

11. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    We should have another thread for sarcasm, whether of the kosher variety or not.

12. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i have no clue about kosher...

i opened this thread..just wanted to know news about US soccer..and reading thousends
    of posts here..i did not get really good overview...about one game..US-guatemala..there is
    about thousends posts...and no really one thread where I could find good summary..

i was wondering how many threads for sarcasm will be opened:)

P.S since Klinsi is in Munich coach, i have been busy with Bayern munich..and did not get
    so much news from US soccer...i just checked latest news...from US soccer...

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    based on what?..

i remember posts few months ago..bob was not good coach..now he is great?
    he has changed in few months:)

14. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob definatley hasent changed, I think that was a hint of carcasm.

15. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ach, then i did not understand the sarcasm:)

i did not read bigosccer last 2 weeks...and found many threads about one topic guatemala..
    so maybe i missed the point:)

so bob is not great coach..:)

many greetings from germany
    bltleo

16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    then open this another thread for sarcasm...:)