Pre-match: US v. Bosnia, August 14, 2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the roster, namely the selections at RB, which excluded Lichaj, Chandler, and Yedlin; I think one of the best things that could happen for the U.S. in this game is for Evans to play and get torched leading to a loss. He's staying afloat as a viable RB option due to the Germany match, the game winner vs. Jamaica, and the team's streak. But the flip side of that is Germany was an anomaly, he was poor overall against both Jamaica and Honduras, and those were sub-standard team performances. That's been his contribution to the 11 game win streak. Jurgen needs a message to get delivered about his skills or lack there of. Even if Evans puts in another good shift like against Bosnia, I'll still have a hard time believing he's the RB answer or WC squad member, based on what he's shown over his many years as a pro and part of the player pool.

Looking at this game in isolation, I'd prefer Parkhurst starts because he's adequate at RB for the U.S., unlike I highly doubt Evans is, but Parkhurst's performance would provide us little useful info for when games count.

Suck Evans, suck hard.

soccerusa517 repped this.
  3. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
  4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life's a vič, and then you die. :D

( č = ch sound, like chess)

5. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure?

6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we have the best one:

[​IMG]

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    then why are you showing that guy?
    [​IMG]

dlokteff repped this.
  8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'd like to see:
    -----------Guzan------------
    Parkhurst--Cameron--Brooks---F. Johnson
    ----------Bradley--Jones---------
    Bedoya-----Diskerud-----E. Johnson
    ---------------Altidore---------------

Let Bacon come on for Mixx. Could see starting FJ at LM and Castillo at LB, that way EJ can sub on for Jozy. Highly unusual for Brooks to start in his debut, but I really don't see another option.

EDIT: No way JK starts Guzan. And likely Evans starts at RB. And Corona at RM.

2nd half:
    1. Bacon for Diskerud
    2. Castillo for EJ (FJ to LM)
    3. Parkhust/Evans switch
    4. Bedoya/Corona switch
    5. Williams for Bradley or Jones
    6. Boyd for Altidore

Konut repped this.
  9. ValterBayern

ValterBayern Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    stonejh127 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I just point out how odd it is that FIFA counts friendlies in to the ranking status?

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they do count less than games that count. Makes perfect sense to me. Plus, if friendlies aren't counted, then a lot of the smaller nations won't really have any games to speak of, especially in CONCACAF, Africa, and Asia.

mike4066 repped this.
  12. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friendlies are given relatively little weight in the formula, which is why the host country always drops like a stone in their WC cycle. One Gold Cup game for instance is 2.5 times as big as a friendly.

13. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Get. Over. It.

imasyko repped this.
  14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy and tehlazerviking repped this.
  15. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you took my statement literally but it is my fault for not being specific. The biggest myth of chalkboards is the passing stats. A majority of his passes were backwards or lateral. He did not get forward and combine. He was a non threat up the right side. Evans constantly lobbed hopeful balls over the top. Evans didn't look comfortable pushing too high up the field, rarely crossing into the final third.

Same with Beckerman, he does what's asked of him and had a good Gold Cup. But his passing range? Much more limited than Bradley, Jones, Diskerud. Also a liability due to his lack of speed on the counter. I could say the same about other guys, strengths and weaknesses. Not just Beckerman. If one watched that match they would see Evans limitations.

For the defense as a whole. Beasley at LB has worked better than expected but am I still alarmed because of his poor positioning? Yes. Besler is good, but Gonzalez needs to get better, that's why Brooks is there. RB is blurry.

Come World Cup it stops being CONCACAF level. If Parkhurst who isn't getting time for his club and an MLS utility player make you confident then go ahead. If the group is decent and the defense doesn't improve then we're going out in the group stages.

Bosnia is a big moment for him because it's higher level of competition, so he'll be tested.

16. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is ZERO myth in the passing stats if you know what you are doing with the tool.

The chalk board shows EXACTLY where every single pass was made, how far, what direction etc. It is one of the major functions of the chalk board.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, backwards and sideways. Panama sat back most of that game, didn't have Perez. Evans looked afraid to take the space in front of him.

18. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why did you say the chalk board was a myth?

You argument here seems to be based off of either out right lies, and then covering up with gross exaggerations and then layered with not understanding how the stat tools are used.

The sad part about it is I think you might have a point in there some where if you just start talking normal and stop trying to hyper accentuate points to prop up your pov.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all I remember the Panama game in Seattle. I was disappointed with Evans' play. Honduras game was a snoozer.

I'm not a big fan of chalkboard stats. Only tells a bit of the story.

20. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Classic.

But I Googled Famous Vics.

Damone was #5, Tayback #6.

#1 was this guy.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

No idea who he is, but we better cap him now as his Wiki implies he might be eligible for both Mexico and Ireland.

cleansheetbsc and Winoman repped this.
  21. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Ni! Ni!

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  22. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything you say but offer this as something to think about. At the last world cup, Ricardo Clark, Jonathan Bornstein, Robbie Findley and Edson Buddle all found their way on to the field in huge games. Going into the 2014 world cup, if Michael Parkhurst was the number 1 weakness on the team i would be damn proud of the progress we've made in the quality of the team and the depth. Perhaps im taking an overly optimistic view of the situation so you'll have to forgive me if I am.

Excellency repped this.
  23. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    The later. Google translate said Slovenian on the 1st (and failed).

24. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Depth is more than its ever been. Mr. Evans could make me eat it tomorrow afternoon but I don't think it's likely.