US U-17's, Bradenton- Catch All Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    6 goals against last two meetings!!:mad:

2. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    The difference in skill level is alarming. Makes you wonder how did we ever beat them in France.

It's called FOOTBALL and El_Huero repped this.
  3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Williams coaching at that time?

4. SportsFan2011

SportsFan2011 Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Different roster?

5. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Now that we have all been a witnessed to the Richie Williams project, playing multiple line ups throughout the tournament. Which starting IX would you send to qualifiers (including players not on this trip)?

USA: (Evan Loura, Shaq Moore, Tommy, Tyler, John Req, Rubio Rubin, Jr Flores (although his play was very disappointing in the finals), Elijah, Wesly, (Bradford J/Corey B, can't decide!), Chris L.

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louro, Turner, Requejo Jr., Calix, Lema, Rubin, Flores, Baird and Wade

7. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I would not read too much into this. In a few + years we may look back and only one or two of these guys will be firmly entrenched with the National team program. There are guys like Gaitan and Hyndmann and others playing in DA with their club who are not part of the picture.

If we can get 1 or 2 legitimate national team players from each group then we will be OK

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well............they have won two of the last four U17 World Cups. There's been a difference in skill level at this level for quite a while. Anybody thinking otherwise hasn't been paying attention.

As far as the US goes in the same 4 World Cups:

2011: Loss to Uzkebkistan in group stage, destroyed by Germany in the round of 16
    2009: Loss in round of 16 to Italy (only victories were against Malawi and the UAE)
    2007: Losses to Tajikastan and Tunisia, miraculously advanced.....dumped out in round of 16 by ze Germans.
    2005: Won the group..............dumped out by Holland in first knockout round (that time the quarters.)

We haven't won a knockout stage game in the U17 World Cup since the Donovan team in 1999.

El_Huero repped this.
  9. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    This wasn't a particularly great game to watch.

Ball bounced around a lot on the field turf and both teams were playing hard which caused the ball to be played out of bounds constantly.

One thing of great concern for US fans should be the fact that the entire back four would panic under pressure and give the ball away constantly, which made it much easier for Mexico to keep possession and create scoring chances.

10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many of our players lack composure.

El_Huero repped this.
  11. sowrong

sowrong Member+

Aug 20, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    its the american way.
    man your goalkeeper's distribution was absolutely horrid. Cant believe how many times he kicked the ball out of bounds. You would have figured they would have either started playing it short or had a defender kick out after a while.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's basically our style of possession game. Pass back to the defenders and then lose it.

El_Huero repped this.
  13. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    I attend the u17 trainings at least once a month, sometimes more. There are other defenders in residency that could upgrade the positions but are not getting the playing time warranted. Watching them play against club teams in Florida on a regular and seeing them perform raises some eyebrows.

14. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Bradford, Elijah, Connor and Roland (LA Galaxy) are a few kids that deserve more time. Roland is new to this group but I expect him to entrench himself and push for starting time. It will be interesting to see which DA players get's invited to the Home Depot Camp in July.

15. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully a lot, as I feel that there are U16 academy players all over the country of about an equal level to the Bradenton residency kids. The only advantage they have is the teamwork of working together for almost 2 years before the U17 WC, and look how much that advantage helped them yesterday. The U17 staff needs to evaluate all options in the DA extensively, otherwise I see a very disappointing U17 WC for the US next summer.

16. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Agreed.

It just seems to me that once the coaching change took place our boys skill level has digressed. Wilmer would do 30 -40 min of skill work each session I attended. Richie rarely does, his style is passing drills and play. If we our honest with ourselves we have to admit that our boys looked more skilled during the Nike Friendlies than they did is this game.

17. SportsFan2011

SportsFan2011 Member

Jan 16, 2012
    To be fair though, the boys didn't do very well in Turkey under Cabrera and did fairly well in France during Williams' first international tournament as coach. The had one loss, to Portugal 1-0, who were the eventual champions. And they beat Mexico 1-0 in the 5th place match. At that time, Williams had only been at the helm for three months. There was a slightly different roster than this tournament as well. I think we need to give Williams some more time to work out the roster that will fit with his style of play and to fully implement it.

18. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man everytime i get my hopes up about the us national team at any level, we seem to always fall flat on our face, at least since the 2010 WC... at least we still have like a year until qualifiers for the u-20 and u-17 teams so they have time to figure it out

19. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Point well taken.

20. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I agree with this. I'm just thinking the amount of roster work that is needed to get the best players for the style of play, or even the best players period, into the U17 scene, is immense. This isn't the Donovan class, where the only worthwhile players (at that age) were at Bradenton. We now have an extensive DA with tons of players in a similar professional environment to the one that Bradenton offers.

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If it was similar Bradenton could shut down, Bradenton players ability to train 6 days a week with top players vs top International teams is still unmatched. No one would go to residency if they could get a similar training environment close to home. Its not there yet.

upper_v repped this.
  22. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well to play devil's advocate a bit (for the cabrera point), it was publicly known that the tournament in turkey was going to be his last before it even started. So there could've been a bit of the lame duck coach syndrome goin on

23. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Bradenton could shut down right now, and we'd see no change in the quality of players we can produce. RSL-AZ is a residency. It's players can train 6 days a week. Yet they are not a clear cut above the non-residential academy teams. And any kid that makes a U17 team could play the top international opponents. They don't have to be staying at Bradenton. IIRC, some of the kids in Costa Rica weren't Bradenton kids, while some Bradenton kids were left home to play in the academy playoffs.
    Bradenton is not obsolete yet, because it offers kids that professional setup. But I'd like to see it utilized differently, and have Bradenton be a DA team, and only allowed to take kids into residency that aren't close to an MLS academy setup. So, currently most kids from the Southeast, and the Dakotas/Montana area

Toddsoccerdad repped this.
  24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richie's style of play can be easily countered with reinforced ankle pads. :D

Winoman repped this.
  25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States