US U-17 roster for Peru

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by mtkstriker, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I hear you. I've been wondering too if Dempsey's development would have been accelerated by being at Bradenton. He's one player whose game suggests he may have developed some bad habits by playing against competition that didn't have the same kind of talent that he has.

2. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Dempsey was born on March 9, but in an odd year. So he makes for a pretty good poster child for our campaign.

3. Soulgoal56

Soulgoal56 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Washington DC Metro
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Oh...I forgot that its a paid site now. If you haven't subscribed to topdrawersoccer.com, you should. Imagine that you didn't see the story. Just keep pondering the same ole questions.

I'll ask Rob for forgiveness and hope that he will consider it a subscription promotion. :)

4. Soulgoal56

Soulgoal56 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Washington DC Metro
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Do actually mean the town of Bradenton or the IMG Academies? I think that both will be around and still thriving 10 years from now. The US U17s are only 20 players in a much larger pool of athletes at IMG. Perhaps in time, MLS teams will see the wisdom of having their own academies, but I wouldn't want to be competing against the southern California teams if I was in a Real Salt Lake academy. In time they might find balance.

5. polman

polman Member

Jul 22, 2005
    The future reality of the U17's is that most of them will cease to advance and you'll be asking yourself where they are in a few years, after college. Most of the players were identified at the age of 14, and the fact is at some point they peak. Some peak at 14, 16, 18 etc, but other players will pass them by. Honestly, I have seen this team on a few occasions, and I'm surprised at the overall talent level. I thought it would be higher. I thought most of the players (except a couple, Arvisu?, Farfan, a couple others) lacked creativity and vision. Don't get me wrong, they were hard working players, (Zimmerman for example, but mules on the ball,) and in the end for most of them without the flair, vision, creativity, they'll be left behind. But for now enjoy the ride, hope they do well!

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But the "rule of four" doesn't hold water. Onyewu, who only "arrived" this year is one of the "4" from 99s, yet he already lists four players from the more recent classes. Let's get 6 years out from the 01s and 03s and see how many players are national team regulars.

7. Soulgoal56

Soulgoal56 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Washington DC Metro
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thanks for the inspiration. What's new? This is like throwing a stink bomb in a closed room and leaving. :) Come back next week and with more bombs or a fan to clear out the stench. Just funning!

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I meant for the rule to apply per U17 team. It appears that on average 4 has been the number who have or appear poised to make a significant contribution to the senior team. With the last group none has yet made this contribution, but I listed Spector, Gaven, Adu and Szetela as the obvious candidates. The other point I made was that a yield rate of 4 per team (or 2 per year is you prefer) should be enough (if augmented by a few late bloomers) to provide excellent depth.

9. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Dear Maximum Optimal

thanks for refreshing my memorry...sometimes I forget all these new
    or I´m lazy to read back.
    names:)
    bltleo

10. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dear Maximum Optimal
    do you know something about U-17 in Germany?
    I bet If i would tell you about all players now, you would not
    rember all of them. Keep in mind that I live in Germany. Thank you
    maximum optimal.

P.S You always ignore any of my questions at this board

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And I contend that the "rule of 4" doesn't hold water.

12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Well you asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and Sandon Mibut went to a great deal of effort to post a very informative answer to your question. You thanked him for it. But two weeks later you ask essentially the same question. So I wonder what the point of answering your question is if you have a need to aske the same question just a few days later.

How would you react if you had a friend who asked you a question six months ago and you gave an answer, then this friend asks the same question a few weeks later and you give the same answer, and this goes on like this in spite of you pointing out to your friend that you have answered his or her questions many times?

13. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dear Maximum Optimal,
    you are right. I should have realized that I had asked this question before.
    Well maybe I really forgot. I usualy post on Men and Analysis or US men only and only sometimes here on this board. Anyway I have re-read the Sandon answer again. I don´t know how I could forgot. Maybe I just typed
    quickly. No idea. I´m this type of girl who write too much without thinking maybe:). No idea. Anyway thanks for answer and the link to "rule of 4".
    Next time you will be surprised that I know all U-17 players. I will
    learn all about them. Then we can more discuss here.

Thanks for your advice.
    I hope you are not mad I asked twice the same questions.
    Germans are sometimes crazy. At least some german girls:).

I apologize and thanks

your Bltleo:)
    Germany

14. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I will stop to write at Youth National Team until I have not
    super knowledges about US 17 team. I will learn and read and when
    I´m fit again, I will come back. I hope posters understand me here.
    I don´t want to make your board Youth National teams for "learning"
    area for stupid germans:)

Don´t worry I will write at another board - US men about that I have
    already good knowledges.

Bltleo
    Germany

15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    bltleo,

Try to help you out, even though I only watched some of the players to play.

Note: I also mentioned what the kids ethnic background as White, Haspnic, Black or Asian. Not try to use ethnic profile to steretype them, but you may understand better some of playing styles associated with ethnic background. Hope nobody gets offended by this.

Forwords:

Zimmerman is a white kid. The game I watched he did not play too good, but he is kind of a power forward. Like McBride. Great work rate, but I didn't see his foot work. Suppose very good with goal scoring instinct. A strong and tough kid.

Kirk is part of MLS club LA Galaxy (Landon's club), but haven't train with the club yet. He is super fast and strong. Kind of like Eddie Johnson in US team. He used to play forward then dropped to play wing midfield. Now as he moved back to forward, so maybe his scoring ability is improved now. The games I watched him, he was dribbling from the wing then cut in the middle, taking a strong shot at the goal. He can do that from both of left and right and can hit with both his feet. His shoot is very strong but not accurate. The game I watched that he cannot keep the shots on the frame and they are over the cross bar. He may improve on that. Or forget that he is a black kid and over 6'.

Arvizu is a Hispanic kid. He has great feet and great ball control. He is a playmaking forward and is around Landon's height but has better foot skills than Landon. He is most of the offense creativity in this team.

Gonzales is also a Hispanic kid but not a small one. He is 6'5" and has OK speed but good foot skill.

Altidore is a black Hispanic kid. You know like those in Brazil or Colombia? I haven't watch his game yet, but suppose he is fast, strong, skill and can score. A full package. He is only 15 so playing up 2 years.

Midfielders:

Soroka is a white kid and very crafty player. He can dribble and pretty fast and have a good shoot at the goal. He is a very typical wing player who can really dribbles.

Besagno is a white kid and he is tall, strong and tough as a d-mid. He played for Real Salt Lake in MLS already and looked belong in MLS. Covers a lot of space and can control the midfield and know how to score when he gets forward and in set pieces.

Nakazawa is an Asian (Japanese) kid and he is very crafty and move a lot. Very capable and doesn't have much weakness in his game.

Farfan Gabe and Mike are twin brothers. Of course they are Hispanic. Both of them are wing players who can play in wing midfield and wing back positions. Very skillful.

Hall (if my memory is right) is a black kid and very strong and fast. Have good foot skill and can score. The games I watched he played as back up forwards. So he can play in midfield and forward positions.

Kelly is a white kid and I haven't watch him play yet. Heard that he is very skillful and very fast. He is new face.

Defenders:

Sarkodie is the captain and center defender. He is a black kid and is not tall about 5'10". But he really can jump and good on both defense and offense balls. Can score in set pieces. He is also strong and able to muscle a forward off the ball. He used to play wing back, so his foot skill are very good.

Subotic is a white kid (probably Bosnia background) and is about 6'4". Haven't see him play. He is a new face too and played as center midfielder for the team before. So his foot skill is pretty good. Don't know how fast is him but should be good because everyone is this team has some wheels.

Wagner is also a white kid and used to play as wing midfielder and wing back. Very good skill and capable of going forward.

Igwe is a black kid and used to play left midfielder. Tall and strong and has good ball skill. I watched one game he played that he was substituted in, and when he got the ball on left side, he just dribbled over three players. He plays left wing back now.

Alston is also a black kid but not as tall as Igwe. He plays the right wing back now, but I watched he played as left back in one of game in Europe. He just got on the endline and dribbled over few defenders and passed the ball his teammate finished. If I told you that he played for Brazil, you would believe it.

Goalkeepers. All US goalkeepers are pretty good like German goalkeepers. :p

So how compare this team with previous team? Well, this team may not have a kid stand out as Adu, but all of them have very good technical skills. In last U-20 team you watched in Holland, beside Adu, Gaven, Feilhaber, etc., you still see some of players who don't have good foot skills, but this team, everyone is damn good. Technical speaking, they are as good as Brazil, but tactically they are very naive due to poor typical US coaching. Probably the only weakness with this team.

16. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dear Shaster,
    thank you very much for providing me once again with all these
    information. Now they stay in my german brain:). I have learned
    all the names and their position now and read some post here on BS.
    Thank you for your great support. I know sometimes I might to ask
    the similar questions or same, but it is sometimes hard to remember
    every name:). It is much more difficult without the possibility to watch
    the game of U17. US U 17 is definitely not televised in Germany. I usually
    follow US men, but U17 - is your future, so many of the players you
    mentioned I might see in USMNT soon.

Thank you and Greeting from Germany
    bltleo

17. E. & P.

E. & P. New Member

Mar 14, 2003
    What's with the defenders??

Just stumbled upon these rosters. I know Borja got booted from the team and Lichaj is hurt, but still, it looks to me like we have all of one tested central defender (Sarkodie) on the whole roster. The rest of the listed defenders (Igwe, Alston, Wagner) are raidiing wingbacks. I suppose Hackworth might play Subotic or even Gonzalez as Sarkodie's partner, or switch to a 3-man backline with enhanced defensive responsibilities for Alston and Igwe/Wagner, relying on their remarkable athleticism, but still, doesn't it seem like on a 20-man roster we should have more than 1 real central defender? The whole team seems composed of attacking wingers--how many Farfans do we need? What happened, for instance, to Rich Edgar--couldn't he have been at least a useful sub? Or Anthony Wallace, the 89 who tore up Ballymena? Don't really understand what Hackworth is doing here, and I suspect Subotic will play more central defense than he has to date, but even so we would seem awfully, awfully thin at that position. Any insight much apprecciated.

18. HSVchick

HSVchick New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'm not stupid so speak for yourself and don't generalize like that :)

19. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

Two German women fighting...hmmm let's add some mud and watch the show!! ;)

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Repped!

Edit:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Allamerican74 again.

21. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don´t fight with anyone.
    So sorry no show:).
    bltleo
    Germany

22. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    of course I meant me..with the comment..sorry If you misunderstood me..
    bltleo:)
    Leverkusen

23. Soulgoal56

Soulgoal56 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Washington DC Metro
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: What's with the defenders??

It difficult to understand when you don't spend every day for nearly two years with atleast 14 or the final 20 and a great deal of time with the other 6 since at least the start of the summer. Versatility is the key to this lineup and yes, Subotic is a defensive insurance policy. Additionally, Besagno, who plays in front of the backs can also defend. Jeremy Hall has spent a considerable amount of time over the past two years as a defender and even Ryan Soroka has spent time at right back over the summer.

Daniel Kelly is another versatile insurance policy player who can defend and play in the midfield in a holding or attacking position.

The Farfans are skilled and versatile also and play with a lot of heart and with considerable speed and foot skills. They can put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses.

Pay no attention to the weight of the individual players. Even the heights listed are understated, in many cases.

I like the final player mix and when you think about the ultimate goal which is to win, I'll trust Hackworth's judgement over idle speculation everytime. Lichaj's loss was a big one, Edgar would have brought more international experience defensively and I would have liked to have seen Borja in the final mix. But, it is what it is!

With that said and my behind hanging out....take it easy on me with the retorts. :)

U.S. Under 17 Men’s National Team
    World Championship Roster

No. Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate Hometown Club
    1 Rueckner, Bryant GK 6’1” 170 01/20/88 Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. PSG (Calif.)
    2 Igwe, Amaechi D 6’0” 165 05/20/88 Belmont, Calif. Santa Clara Sporting
    3 Alston, Kevin D 5’7” 137 05/05/88 Silver Spring, Md. Potomac Cougars
    4 Altidore, Josmer F 5’10” 176 11/06/89 Boca Raton, Fla. Boca Juniors
    5 Sarkodie, Ofori D 5’9” 170 06/18/88 Huber , Ohio Chicago Magic
    6 Kirk, Quavas M/F 6’2” 180 04/13/88 Aurora, Ill. LA Galaxy (MLS)
    7 Gonzalez, Omar F 6’5” 200 10/11/88 Dallas, Texas Dallas Texans
    8 Nakazawa, Kyle M 5’10” 140 03/16/88 Palos Verdes Est., Calif. ISC Strikers
    9 Zimmerman, Preston F 5’11” 180 11/21/88 Pasco, Wash. Crossfire Premier
    10 Arvizu, David F 5’6” 150 04/19/88 Santa Ana, Calif. Pateadores
    11 Soroka, Ryan M 5’6” 150 03/05/88 Langhorne, Pa. FC Delco
    12 Farfan, Gabriel M 5’10” 140 06/23/88 San Diego, Calif. Nomads
    13 Wagner, Blake D/M 5’10” 160 01/29/88 Tampa, Fla. HC United
    14 Subotic, Neven D 6’4” 175 12/10/88 Bradenton, Fla. Manatee Magic
    15 Kelly, Daniel D 5’10” 160 03/29/89 Henderson, Tenn. TNFC
    16 Besagno, Nikolas M 6’1” 175 11/15/88 Maple Valley, Wash. Real Salt Lake (MLS)
    17 Hall, Jeremy M/F 5’10” 160 09/11/88 Tampa, Fla. HC United
    18 Restrepo, Diego GK 6’0” 180 02/25/88 West Palm Beach, Fla. HC United
    19 Farfan, Michael M 5’9” 150 06/23/88 San Diego, Calif. Nomads
    20 Perk, Brian GK 5’10” 170 07/21/89 Santa Margarita, Calif. Pateadores

24. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    What happened with Borja?

Daniel Kelly and Altidore both did well at the Ballymena Tournament earlier this year.

When do you head out to Peru, Soulgoal?

25. Soulgoal56

Soulgoal56 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Washington DC Metro
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Unfortunately, Carlos Borja was dismissed from the team during the trip to Brazil during the summer. He was not on the roster for the Holland trip and was not invited to return to IMG in August.. It appeared to be a personal issue with the coach....and not a single incident.

Daniel Kelly and Josmer Altidore have played their way on to this roster and will be good additions on the depth chart and might even get to play.

I will depart for Lima on Thursday. Can't wait!!!