US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies'

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twelve American soldiers face charges over a secret "kill team" that allegedly blew up and shot Afghan civilians at random and collected their fingers as trophies.

Five of the soldiers are charged with murdering three Afghan men who were allegedly killed for sport in separate attacks this year. Seven others are accused of covering up the killings and assaulting a recruit who exposed the murders when he reported other abuses, including members of the unit smoking hashish stolen from civilians.

But here's the disgusting part...

They weren't caught because someone in their unit had a moral objection to what they were doing. They were caught because one of their own snitched on them for doing drugs in the barracks. Nice.

Who knows how long this could have gone on for had they simply avoided doing drugs. This is one of the most vile and disgusting things I've heard come out of that clusterf**k over there. And how much worse is this story going to make things for the guys trying to do the right thing?

2. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Sounds like its time for a good old fashioned mass hanging.

3. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    This isn't a story because it really isn't a story.

Unless you believe these are the only soldiers in both Afghanistan and Iraq who have committed crimes like this. The illegal murder of civilians is one of the many splendid things that go had in hand with (modern) warfare.

It's naive to think stuff like this isn't/wasn't going on.

5. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think collecting fingers might push this over the top, no?

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My point is that when you send an army that numbers in the thousands into an area that puts their young minds into a perpetual mental presser cooker then some nutjobs will go over the top. It's inevitable.

Stories like this, along with "regular" collateral damage are just part of the realities of warfare.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    One of them had the Colonel Jessup quote on his Facebook page. Oh dear...

8. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
  9. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So?

10. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that in a war zone, soldiers can be calcified to collateral damage. But this is on whole different level. That's my point.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not really, we had a similar incident that was reported upon in Iraq where a unit group raped and then killed a young girl and her family.

Things like this will always happen in a war zone. If your army counts in the thousands, you will always have a few instable individuals who crack under the constant pressure and lose all grip of reality and morals.

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    that's at the Okinawa level :D

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

It's bad apples like these who are losing the hearts and minds :p

:rolleyes:

:D

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It somehow usually happens in groups though and they manage to cover for each other alot. Of course, most of that's down to the "the military way" of sticking together as a unit no matter what.
    I wonder if they end up tracing it to all the gang member they let in the military because they were short of bodies. No reported reason to wonder that, I just do.

This happens in all wars it seems, but you really have to demand more of your commanding officers/noncoms so it stops happening.

15. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Small world.
    I wouldn't assume that the soldiers who commit these types of crimes cracked under pressure. They may not have been good people when they entered the military and were already predisposed to commit bad acts.

In both of the incidents you mention, the crimes involved a high degree of planning and cold blooded efforts to try to conceal the crimes.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Winning the hearts and fingers of the local population

17. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. It's one thing to commit these atrocities in the heat of battle. It's something entirely different when there's planning involved and concerted efforts to keep others silent.

Personally, any one in that unit that knew of this should be indicted, also. They are complicit with this war crime and should be held accountable for their inaction.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Name me a similar scale conflict that lacked such incidents. I honestly can't think of any.

It's just one of the many ********ed up consequences of warfare. Perhaps the world would be better off if we were confronted more often with its ugly visage.

19. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aaand this is why winning hearts and minds while being an occupying power never works. can you imagine how many enemies/terrorists we've created in the last 10 years. it's one thing to get involved to depose a brutal dictator, or to rid the country of another occupying force, but if you don't get out as soon as that task is accomplished, you will soon wear out your welcome, as the people realize that you're now the occupying force, and they just exchanged one master for another. and winning hearts and minds while fighting an indigenous guerilla army is just about impossible.

20. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so I guess we should just turn a blind eye to it and assume that this is the way things are and always have been. let's not even prosecute these people. this is just what happens in a war zone.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Great report on how unskilled some of the translators walking around with our troops are. Of course it's run by a private company. One old tribal leader is being asked by soldiers what's going on and he says "I just told you, there is no security here!" The translator replies to the soldier "he says everything is fine, there are no problems here."

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/afgha...ters-speak-afghan-languages/story?id=11578169

22. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree. this is Mi Lai - level kind of stuff. and it's not justifiable simply based on the fact that it's a war zone. even in a war zone, by far, most soldiers don't do this kind of stuff. this is more like some demented individuals with a certain pre-disposition taking advantage of the situation. if this type of person wasn't in the army killing civilians overseas, he would probably be an officer of the peace in some US city or town also abusing the power of the badge to the best of his abilities - just because he can, and because it makes him feel better.

23. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is arguing that this kind of stuff is rampant throughout the army, but at the same time, let's not understate the seriousness of these crimes, and let's make sure that justice gets done, rather than brushing it aside as something that is typical in a war zone.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I never said these individuals should not be tried and sentenced.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    But it is, unfortunately. That's my entire point. People need to understand that this is a part of war. It's more criminal to detach it from war and treat it as an incident that is completely separate from the act of warfare.