US Soccer Star Megan Rapinoe Declares War...

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FanOfFutbol, Jan 13, 2020.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bob Lamm and blissett repped this.
  2. natbat20

natbat20 New Member

orlando pride
    United States
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Lamm, McSkillz and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Declaring war" is either her words or the words of the writer of the article. Either way it is just hyperbole used to bring attention to her, and other's, position.

Personally I served during the war in S.E. Asia and I stand for the anthem and I would not use degradation of The United States to further any cause no matter how I felt about how the bureaucrats were, and are, abusing the intent of the writers of the constitution.
    But a good part of what we fought that war and all the other wars and conflicts for was the right of people to present their feelings in any form that does not injure others. So I support, without any real qualms, the absolute right of Rapinoe and anyone else to protest as she has and to take a knee or absent herself from the anthem ceremony as she chooses.

I think the Olympics are a VERY appropriate forum to present such protests as the Olympics have always been and always will be one of the most political sports event there ever have been no matter what the people involved say. The reality is that the Olympics are a political event and that makes them a good place to present views that people feel strongly about as long as that presentation does not interfere with the actual matches or events.

I think Rapinoe should kneel or whatever during the US anthem if she feels strongly enough. I also strongly doubt that she will be punished in any way that matters much. Remember that soccer at the Olympics is run by FIFA and not the Olympic bureaucracy.

DoyleG, Bob Lamm, CoachJon and 3 others repped this.
  4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it incredibly suspicious that in a time when fascism is slowly creeping back into popularity, the Olympic Committee decides to ban any political protests that would bring to the forefront this disturbing emergence of radical right-wing politics, particularly anti-muslim sentiment and the caging of civilians and refugees caught in the middle of the middle-eastern wars.

As FanofFutbol has previously stated, the Olympics since their resurrection at the turn of the 20th century, has showcased some of the most memorable political statements in history. Jesse Owens doing everything that the Third Reich brainwashed people into discrediting during Hitler's 36' Olympia and the African American athletes holding up their fist on the podium I believe in the 1960s are the first two instances that come to mind. There's no doubt in my mind that if Rapinoe is healthy and included on the roster, she's going to be making some interesting waves during the Tokyo 2020 games. I, for one, will be enjoying the whole moment.

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

"During their medal ceremony in the Olympic Stadium in Mexico City on October 16, 1968, two African-American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos each raised a black-gloved fist during the playing of the US national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner". While on the podium, Smith and Carlos, who had won gold and bronze medals respectively in the 200-meter running event of the 1968 Summer Olympics, turned to face the US flag and then kept their hands raised until the anthem had finished. In addition, Smith, Carlos, and Australian silver medalist Peter Norman all wore human-rights badges on their jackets.​

In his autobiography, Silent Gesture, Smith stated that the gesture was not a "Black Power" salute but rather a "human rights" salute. The demonstration is regarded as one of the most overtly political statements in the history of the modern Olympics."

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's new that the Olympics bans political demonstrations during the event. As I recall, that's been the case since the Smith and Carlos demonstration. So, I don't think there's anything particularly aimed towards the current state of the world in the ban.

Beyond that, however, I agree with the tenor of what's been posted so far. The Olympics themselves are political, by intention. To say, "No politics at the Olympics," is an oxymoron.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Isn't the Olympics itself making such a statement merely by including the refugee/stateless team?

Bob Lamm, jnielsen and CoachJon repped this.
  8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course they are. This attempt to suppress political statements is simple, or maybe not simple, hypocrisy. There is very little about the Olympics that is not political. It places country against country, it celebrates victories with the playing of national anthems and it presents victories as victories for the country more than the individual. That is it is totally political by all reasonable standards.

Of course by trying to ban political statements they are actually making one themselves and simply exposing their hypocrisy for the world to see. The Olympics are run by politicians that are looking to make their political mark on the world. They just do not want anyone upstaging them or presenting a viewpoint that may focus the world's attention, or any part thereof, on someone else's agenda.

9. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh goody goody, another politics thread.

10. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    What are they gonna do ?
    Take her gold medal away?

Meh.... storm meet teacup.
    And that’s the tea.

11. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Thanks for posting this great photo. I'm old enough to vividly remember when it happened. Tommie Smith, John Carlos, and the late Peter Norman have been heroes of mine ever since. About two years ago, I was lucky enough to hear Mr. Carlos speak at the New York Public Library. Notably, he spoke of how Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., had advised and inspired African American athletes in advance of their protests at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. Carlos spoke quite movingly of Dr. King.

RalleeMonkey, McSkillz, jnielsen and 2 others repped this.
  12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    blissett repped this.
  13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I can see it now...

“I’m not going to the f’king IOC dinner.”

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Which, of course, would echo Tommy Smith’s “ I don’t want Avery Brundage presenting me any medals” ( he didn’t. #2 man Lord Exeter did instead) after Brundage’s long term support for Apartite countries.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You don't get attention in this world if you don't make waves. Rapinoe could have talked politely to the powers-that-be for centuries and she would have been brushed off. But, pull off a stunt, get some publicity, and the guys wearing suits have to pay attention. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Fair? Well, it takes courage to make waves. And it's risky. Ask Colin Kapernick about that.

16. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what? I relish those that are mad at this. This as much as some don’t want to see, this is how women’s soccer or soccer in America gets recognition and how this sport becomes a fight against Donald any Trump and every fascist thing he stands for. Remember, For every World Cup, Olympic tournament where a woman goes against him, hencries and escapes to a stupid golf course in mar a Lagos

Bob Lamm and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  17. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Some of the comments on this board are depressing. (How can men be fans of female athletes but want them to remain silent?) So I greatly appreciate those of you who support athletes of any gender, race, or nation courageously challenging injustice.

18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have never thought of myself as "courageously challenging injustice." That is assuming that I am one of the people you are praising. I just call it as I see it and I refuse to be quite when I have strong feelings.

The only outlet I have now is the internet so I post a lot on various boards. I cannot get out much and I have recently had pretty major surgery so I am just able to type what I believe.

I coached mostly girls soccer for over 30 years as mostly a voluntary part time avocation. That contributes a lot to my interest in women's sports with a strong focus toward soccer. I have seen girls and young women develop and gain confidence in themselves and their lives.

It is unfortunate that so many men, and even some women, do not give women their due and do not think they can have anything important to say or do.

My granddaughters follow US soccer religiously even though they currently reside in Japan. They both see a number of the players as roll models but they also realize that they are human and therefore flawed so the use their own brains to decide what is good or bad about every player they follow.

I find, generally, that the women's game is more entertaining that the men's I only wish that more countries would truly support their women's teams. The US is one of the better countries at supporting women but there are still large swaths on the country where the police often do not believe women when they report assaults and where it is nearly impossible for women to get the better jobs.

I want the US to succeed in all ways but I also want this country to progress further in equal rights and opportunities. But I have decided that that will not happen before I exit the world of the living. We have progressed a LOT since I was born but we still have even further to go before women even approach the opportunities that men enjoy.

There is a reason the US is, currently, at the top of women's soccer but that "reason" is still very much in the development stage and if we stop progressing we will fall behind other countries that are awakening to the idea that their women can contribute and make them greater.

Smallchief, blissett and Bob Lamm repped this.
  19. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    #19 Bob Lamm, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Dear FanOfFutbol--Great statement. Thank you. I wish you well in your recovery from surgery. Your granddaughters are lucky to have you as their grandfather and I hope you can see them as often as possible.

P.S. I was referring to the athletes who are "courageously challenging injustice," not to any of us on this board. But I admire everyone who supports those athletes.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well crap! Now I gotta do my resume over...:(

blissett repped this.
  21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I agree. Over the years, I'm sure I've watched more WWC matches than MWC matches.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here