US Soccer "hotbeds?"

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by sounderfan, Oct 31, 2005.

1. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Are there any? It would seem so. Post your US Soccer Hotbed (city or community where soccer has gained a foothold of tradition and is supported equally or even more-so than other "American" sports) with reasons/facts defending your selection(s).

Categories:

Pro Soccer Hotbeds

College Soccer Hotbeds

Youth Soccer Hotbeds

Women's Soccer Hotbeds

2. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Most people I know will say "St. Louis" right away. Anyone have stats/reasons why St. Louis might be a US Soccer Hotbed?

3. joxash

joxash New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Waco
    I'll nominate the Central/North Texas region.

Pro Soccer
    FCDallas, at least I assume they still count. After this weekend I wonder. Actually they would be a borderline hotbed righnt. They have all the ingredients except for a team which can grab the loyalty of the average soccer fan. That may be coming soon though.

College Soccer
    SMU, UT-Dallas. Several other good D1,2 and 3 teams within 100 miles, which in Texas distance is in the neighborhood.

Youth soccer
    Probably where this area is strongest. Dallas Cup international youth tournament. North Texas Youth Soccer. Billions and billions of the little guys playing soccer, at least until they get into high school.

Women's soccer
    Eh, not so much. There are some decent women's college teams in the area but I would not call it a hotbed.

4. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    I thought Columbus was a hotbed until I went to the US-Mexico game there a couple months ago.... It was given very little coverage by the local media and most people in town seemed to be oblivious that the game was even happening (Totally different from US-Costa Rica in Salt Lake, where everyone seemed to be at least aware of the game).

5. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Well duh. Local media were obsessed over a little thing called OSU football.

6. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester, NY

Pro:

Rhinos of course and starting next year PaeTec Park
    (www.rhinossoccer.com)

College:

Some of the toughest D3 programs in the nation(UR, Geneseo, Brockport, RIT, Hobart, etc) and numerous players from the area on D1 teams. Plus some traditionally competitive NAIA programs at Roberts Wesleyan and Houghton Colleges and last years JUCO national Women's champs Monroe Community College.

High School/Club Soccer:
    I think this is where it really holds it's own nationally. We were in a suburb the other day and drove by a small field. My wife goes, "Is that their modified football field?" I had to explain to her, that, "No, this school of ~1800 kids never had a football team until 5-6 years ago and their nice field is used for soccer games only." Most of the largest schools in the area get larger crowds for soccer games than for football games and most schools base their homecoming weekend around the soccer game. We're also one of the most organized and competitive soccer sections in the state of NY.
    Check out:
    www.sectionvsoccer.org
    www.sectionvsoccer.net

Recreation Soccer:
    There are plenty of pickup games in the area, plus several great indoor facilities that are always packed to the brim with teams. Often there's a waiting list to join a league.

Also, the Rochester District Soccer League is one of the oldest leagues in the United States, it started in 1913 ( www.rdsl.org) and has anywhere from 80-100 mens teams each summer and another 30 women's teams. Recently the Premier League teams have featured recently retired or cut Rochester Rhinos players along with many other D1 and high caliber players.

All of these things are in a Metro Area of only about 1.1million people.

7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alot of good players come out of UCLA. And well California..

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I don't have the time to give many reasons, but North Carolina, especially the Triangle and Triad are hotbeds--Wake Forest, UNC, UNCG, about a thousand small colleges and very active rec leagues.

9. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    miami, ft lauderdale, and palm beach for youth. mostly the first two.

10. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Playing youth soccer in the suburds here is not just traditiion, it's the law! ;)

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis is often the first city named, but it's mainly an amateur soccer hotbed (not one of the categories you listed, but also important).

12. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Norf Joisey of course...

13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, California would have a pretty good national team..

14. Ese_Guy

Ese_Guy New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Sunny Southern CA
    Los Angeles:
    In my AYSO region alone, we have over 130 teams, not to mention clubs and other AYSO regions.
    Locally we have two MLS teams.
    The FMF plays at the Home Depot Center & can fill the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
    We have quite a few colleges that are ranked well in Div 1, 2, & 3

15. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    The Washington DC Metro area definitely qualifies as a soccer hotbed.
    Professional: DC United, four-time MLS champion.
    College: U of Md, American U., George Washington U., and although more distantly, UVA.
    Youth Soccer: Some very good youth soccer clubs in the DC area, esp in suburban Maryland and northern VA.
    Women's Soccer: formerly, the Washington Freedom, home to Mia and Abby. Also, the Maryland Pride (not much to be proud of in 2005, however).

16. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    St. Louis
    New Jersey
    Upstate NY
    Central Maryland- Baltimore and Columbia
    Washington DC and suburbs
    central North Carolina

These are places large numbers of both youths and adults play...where people have been playing for many years and any anti-soccer stigma as displayed in other parts of the country, is mostly non-existent...

17. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    I'd venture to say that both Northern and Southern California could field a team...

18. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me like I've met tons of Portland natives who played for top NCAA D1 soccer programs. The Portland Timbers have great fan support, and AYSO is real big up there.

19. footballer7883

footballer7883 New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle
    Don't forget about the Pac N-Dub.

Washington state is number one in youth soccer participation per capita and has the country's largest adult soccer community. (According to qwestfield.com)

arrggghhh!! Bring MLS to the North West!

20. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartford definitely. High school football is nothing here compared to high school soccer. From what I've heard, that's not very common in this country. Plus, all the other levels of youth development are of very high quality. We also have quality semi-pro and amateur adult leagues. And UConn is top rated, as well as Central Connecticut and Hartford consistantly have good college teams.

Professionally, MLS doesn't exist here and you wouldn't know it existed period if you were here, Serie A and the Premiership rule Connecticut.

21. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pure fiction! Hell, I'd venture to say San Diego County has more adult teams than the entire state of Washington. Many are not CSA, or US Soccer registered however.

22. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you say "hotbed" I think that you must first and foremost consider the region a producer of quality talent. Second there must be some considerable history, and finally there should be all the physical evidence (fields, teams, stadia, leagues, media coverage, etc.)

St. Louis to me fits the bill. Southern California has less history, and yet the numbers in the last 25 years are staggering. NYC, the Bay Area, New England, Philadelphia/Jersey, Chicago all are on my list.

23. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another unexpected hotbed worth noting:

Looking at players' hometowns, the state that has consistently produced the largest number of MLS players per capita is actually Colorado, with no other state even close. A few Colorado natives also play in Europe - most notably Conor Casey. However, the Colorado players that get into the pro ranks seem to come from all over the state, with no particular area looking like more of a hotbed within the state.

24. wonko389

wonko389 New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    jax, fl
    I dont know if it quite qualifies as a hotbed, but Jacksonville has a very strong men's league. I have seen some cool stuff here in this league, its really diverse. I mean I really never expected to see a big ol' Redneck playing soccer, let alone him cursing at an Albanian while some sort of a foreign ref (my guess is Indian, he definitely wasnt born here, his english isnt worth a damn) tries to seperate them. But in all honesty the strength of some players and teams is quite good, and for a city with less than a million people I think 20 mens open teams of 20 players each and 20 mens over thirty teams of twenty players each is pretty good and surprising.

25. kaka'22

kaka'22 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    New York

Have you been watching any Section 5 soccer this year? Any of Roch-Brighton, Wayne, Victor, or Pittsford Mendon in paticular? I play for the team that is ranked #1 in class A and I might be playing one of those four teams in the next week or two. I'm sure whatever team comes out of that section will do well.