US Soccer Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by soccersubjectively, May 14, 2012.

1. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the National US Soccer Hall Of Fame will have FC Dallas logos plastered all over it?

Great idea US Soccer.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he who pays can do as they wish...

Roger Allaway repped this.
  3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    kenntomasch repped this.
  5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this.

The Hall of Fame has spent the last several years in boxes in North Carolina, none of you lot have lifted a finger or spent a penny in pursuit of getting it out of those boxes, and now you bitch about artist's conceptions.

The least they could do. Jesus, we'll bitch about absolutely anything in this culture.

How about a big Whataburger logo on there? Would that be better?

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hold on, Kenn. You're better than this.

I've done what I can to support US soccer for nigh 30+ years now. I'd been to the old HOF in NY (twice), have cheesy pennants from the old NASL Chiefs, been to USMNT games, coached, reffed, played, subscribe to MLS Live and have my STs for when AUFC kick off... I'm EXACTLY the kind of fan who's helped soccer in the US and that US soccer needs.

I didn't say I wouldn't go or that I don't respect how FCD is helping out, nor am I planning to picket the thing. I'll take this over nothing any day. But I stand by the personal opinion that ideally a NATIONAL sports hall of fame should not be housed within the confines of one specific team. Which is something decidedly different than also having a corporate sponsor. Hopefully one day this venue becomes popular enough it can stand on its own, even if right next door, in which case I've got no problem whatsoever. In the meantime there's nothing wrong with feeling rubbed wrong about this arrangement, nor with your right to disagree.

Yes, thank you FCD for stepping up and helping bring the venue to life again. Full props and all that. I hope I'll get to see it soon. Pardon me, though, if I don't do anything else to worship your particular team on my way to pay homage to John Harkes, Michelle Akers, et al.

Fair enough?

7. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah! found it. The mythical “appropriate thread”. In which I s—tpost MLS General style a proposition to get the absurdly long HoF backlog cleared.

So recently a certain blogger decided to visit a windmill at which he vigorously tilted, specifically regarding the paucity of non-whites and non-men and for that matter non-u.s.-nats in the HoF. It’s too late to comment on his blog post and hope anyone will see it, so here my defeasible diatribe shall have to go.

Now, my theory on this might be overly charitable, but it occurs to me that perhaps the voters generally agree on who should go into the hall, they just can’t agree on what order, effectively turning the tap to a tortuous trickle. Ooooor, the USMNT might be grossly overrepresented, and at this point simply doling out to all their friends like a FIFA confederation meeting that’s finally down to the Boone’s Farm.

What to do? Well I think you have to break the cycle, as the kids are saying. Two main components should suffice, I think:

• A one-off (or maybe two-off) ballot is required for the women, and the voting pool is going to have to be restricted to female members and the vast throng of press who have covered the women’s leagues down the years. I think Dan Loney suggested something like this in his post.
    • After that ballot, USSF could establish a set of criteria for MLS and NWSL players which would automatically qualify a player for induction if they are met, and would apply retroactively. This is what I came up with tentatively:
    1. MVP more than once
    2. MVP once and three-time First XI selection
    3. Four-time First XI selection
    If my reckoning is correct (a pretty big if), this would result in the below players’ induction with immediate effect and without the need for a vote:

Chris Armas
    Jimmy Conrad
    Dwayne De Rosario
    Landon Donovan
    Marco Etcheverry
    Robin Fraser
    Christian Gomez
    Shalrie Joseph
    Jaime Moreno
    Carlos Valderrama

And upon their retirements the following:

Omar Gonzalez
    Robbie Keane
    Chris Wondolowski

I don’t believe any women have met these benchmarks yet, although it looks as if Becky Sauerbrunn is likely to after this season.

What impediments would there be to this approach? Is this unreasonable?

8. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well do this while I'm here since I kind of thread jacked you earlier. It really doesn't feel right that the HoF is housed in a partisan stadium to me either, but until it can stand on its own... Bottom line it needs to be somewhere where soccer fans are found, and apparently soccer fans can do just about anything faster than they can find Oneonta on a map. Further, it seems clear to me a host MLS team would want it on site on the theory that it would drive more traffic at their stadium and by extension more concession/merch revenue. Suboptimal but necessary if the hall is to have a function at all. It seems to me as MLS fans we should be numb to suboptimal-but-necessary by now but it hasn't happened yet.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather politely decline this particular chance...lol

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, it's the US Soccer HOF so the pickings are rather slim! Maybe an exhibit on the old 2 pt line for the MISL!

Although, one could do a lot worse than to gaze at pictures of Mia Hamm for dozen minutes or so.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm mostly OK with having the HOF at the FC Dallas Stadium. Not my favorite place in the world but I get the financial situation. I was just up there last week for the Houston game and I was thinking that it will be nice to eventually go see the HOF in conjunction with a game. But this is too much FC Dallas on the entrance. Put some non-denominational soccer image on that tower in the middle and I would have much, much less of a problem. They have FCD logos all over Toyota Stadium, why do they have to make this entrance look like the FC Dallas Hall of Fame?

[​IMG]

Chesco United and Roger Allaway repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm not going to judge this on architectural value but I think this looks much more like the National Soccer Hall of Fame than the prior plan.

[​IMG]

soccersubjectively repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    EvanJ repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've not given us a real specific reason, other than, I surmise, cooties or something.

( a ) It's not like anyone else stepped up
    ( b ) It's a museum, not a blood oath
    ( c ) Do you want to cling to tribal bullshit or do you want our sport to have a place that celebrates its history, like the other sports do?

Who ********ing cares? Are you afraid they're going to try to indoctrinate you?

Roger Allaway repped this.
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, seriously, the museum business is extremely hard. This is very likely the only business model that is likely to work. Leveraging the existing infrastructure of a soccer entity. (FCD hired an exec director, but their ongoing expense will likely not be as onerous vis-a-vis Oneonta and their main revenue stream - admissions - HAS to be more robust than in Oneonta.)

But if you're not going to picket, not going to not support it, not going to look a gift horse in the mouth...then what? You're registering that you're mildly perturbed? Noted.

We cannot operate the Hall the way you think a Hall should be or like Canton or Cooperstown or Toronto. It's just not realistic. The business model of a standalone Hall cannot work.

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Really, Kenn? 404 days after my post you have to lay into me like that?

I'm grateful the hall is being resurrected and acknowledged as such. I also agreed it's better to have something than nothing, and if this is the best we can hope for then so be it. I'll be thankful and move on.

I said my peace as both a critique of architecture and the spirit of competitive sport, which is inherently tribal. I didn't equate what's happening to some great evil. I merely offered a personal disappointment that a national facility might be showcasing one particular brand over and above others. Build the same thing right next door and take all the FCD stuff off and I'm content. Simple as.

I accept I'm simply throwing my opinions to the wind here but that's part of the role message boards, no? I saw the news and I reacted, much like we might do regarding uniforms, stadiums, or any other element of our soccer world. Sorry my opinion got under your collar.

Cheers.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually the NSHOF in Oneonta could have worked if they stayed in their downtown location and didn't expand into a facility that was way too large for their bank account to handle.

20. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new place that opened in 1999 was overreaching. However, I don't think staying in that tiny downtown storefront would have been a good choice either. Maybe something in between.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually I was thinking of the old Wilber Mansion which predates the storefront and was located just up the street...the storefront had very little charm but more or less suited the purpose I think

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hejduk, Cherundolo, and Lewis are among the ten players with the most USMNT caps whose most recent cap was fewer than ten years ago (including active and retired players).

23. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was disappointed that Cherundolo and Milbrett didn't make it, but I don't think that picking Hall of Famers for superficial reasons like who had the most caps is the way to go.

kenntomasch repped this.
  24. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most of the voters are just picking their favorite players at the end of the day

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States