Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines

US Soccer - goodbye Clint, hopefully goodbye Carlos

By Dan Loney on Aug 29, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    Clint Dempsey is calling it a day. As in, this very day.

Well, he's a mercurial fellow, is Deuce. Dempsey was fabulously talented and dangerous, and also utterly fearless. Absolutely part of what we like to think of the grand tradition of brave, determined US soccer players, from Patenaude to McBride. Only more talented – sorry, Brian. He would without doubt hold the US men's national team goal-scoring record were it not for his heart ailment in 2016, and the team's complete implosion the year after. Russia should have been his swan song, not mid-season in fifth place.

Oh, Lord, that goal against Ghana.

Dempsey will do exactly what he decides he wants to do – er, unless what we wants to do is win a Best Rap Performance Grammy. But I want to see him coach. He might be great at it, he might be terrible, but for once we'd justify having a game camera trained on the bench at all times.

I'd say he'd be great as a media personality, but what we would get is the replica from Stepford Industries, so, no thanks. I'd rather see him keep screaming at players and refs.

This is a formal call for US Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro to either apologize, or resign.

….for what? Please tell me you don't get your news from me.

I was going to lead with this, but Clint Dempsey announced his retirement, and Dempsey is a lot more important and made a lot more contribution than Carlos Freaking Cordeiro.

So FIFA emperor Gianni Infantino, with Cordeiro in tow along with his other minions, lackeys and henches of all gender, met in the Oval Office with the President on the United States. Whose name completely escapes me at the moment. The occasion was to celebrate Mexico and Canada hosting World Cup 2026, and the United States granting permission for FIFA to travel through American airspace for the occasion.

They gave the President a jersey, of course. The only reason to be President is for the sports gear, after all. But Infantino decided a nice comedy gift would be referee cards.

In other words, it was just a little garbage photo-op, until Cordeiro decided he was sick of not having any lines.

Cards.PNG

Trump! President Trump! ….doesn't ring a bell.

I'm not calling for the President to resign, because…just between you and me…I don't think he would if I asked.

I also don't think Infantino should resign, because according to the transcript, he didn't do anything wrong. He's a pro at this, because you don't get anywhere near the position of King of Football without being really, really, good at managing publicity stunts with potentates.

Also, I'm pretty sure Infantino could have me killed with impunity. Out of everyone in that room, Infantino was easily the most powerful, and I don't think there was a close second.

But it wasn't Infantino who brought up any touchy controversies. It also wasn't Trump, technically. All he did was clown around with the cards. It was that idiot Cordeiro who decided he was Harvey Korman.

MR. CORDEIRO: The next media session.

Carlos, you have only have two jobs. And both of them are to SHUT THE HELL UP.

I think I can make a non-partisan case for why Cordeiro needs to apologize or resign. Let's see if I can do this.

MR. CORDEIRO: The Tea Party.

MR. CORDEIRO: The Freedom Caucus.

MR. CORDEIRO: The Benghazi committee.

MR. CORDEIRO: Whitewater investigators.

I'm not mad that the head of the United States Soccer Federation is meeting with the President of the United States. It's unavoidable.

Well, unless the sport is so obscure that meeting with the President is not an option. Stop bringing up Thunderdome. We're beyond Thunderdome.

You have to meet with the President. You cannot endorse the President.

Because the President of the US can be partisan, but the President of the USSF cannot.

Carlos Cordeiro can, of course. And as a private citizen, I encourage him, along with everyone, to participate in the political process to further our great nation.

The United States National Teams need to represent the entire nation, not simply those who are in power. At the moment, they don't – I don't think that's a partisan statement. Cordeiro needs to get one of the following: a change of heart, a vow of silence, or an updated resume.

Dempsey's timing may help take the heat of Cordeiro's idiocy, but it really shouldn't. The man needs to expand the game, especially in places where the endorsement of Washington won't exactly cut much ice. If Cordeiro doesn't or won't understand that, he's the wrong man for the job no matter what his politics are.

Kenobi, bungadiri, mschofield and 5 others repped this.
?

Should Landon Donovan keep playing for a team somewhere in 2019?

1. What? Why? And who cares? Unless...wait, a minute, Dempsey retired, which means....

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. ...if Landon doesn't play in 2019 he and Dempsey will be on the same Hall of Fame ballot! *CARNAGE*

9 vote(s)
    60.0%

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Dan Loney, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
      Washington, NC
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States
      #2 Bill Archer, Aug 29, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 29, 2018

Jeez, I dunno Dan.

Seemed to me that Cordeiro was making a joke. Yes, it was kind of lame and probably inappropriate.

(And I have photos of Barack Obama meeting with SeppBlatter and Jack Warner in the Oval office with which I got in some hot water because I snarked that I hoped the stewards counted the spoons after they left. Some people suspected that I said it because Warner is black and not because Warner would steal anything that isn't nailed down. Tight. With big nails. It was a joke of course but I wasn't careful to stop and think about all the myriad ways someone might take it the wrong way. My bad. So I get how fraught with peril this whole Oval Office thing is.)

But let's not act like he said "Why don't you give that red card a tryout by waving it at that bunch of lying, dimwitted, arrogant, obnoxious, wildly partisan assholes in the media over there?"

It's hardly a secret that the President has a somewhat....um....strained relationship with the media. I'm almost positive I've seen mention of it in the papers once or twice. It seems like Cordeiro was just playing on that and not on any perception of who is right and who is wrong.

Did he whiff, big time? Yeah Skippy, he did indeed. He'll be washing size 12 brown wing tip out of his mouth for some time to come.

But maybe it's not a capital offense.

As for Dempsey, with due respect for his medical issues, Brian McBride had, oh I dunno, can we say ten times the issues? Twenty? The man almost died at least twice and once had a blood clot the size of a Buick removed from his arm and had his nose sticking out of his ear hole during a Mexico game.

Better than Bake? Not a bit.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

I can't believe I actually agree with Fred on this one.

3. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
      Portland, OR

Yeah, it sounds more like a Bob Hope routine than anything truly controversial. There's nothing wrong with joking about current events. Or are we saying that only comedians with nightly tv "news" shows are allowed to do that?

4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
      Southern Cal
      Club:
      Los Angeles Galaxy
      Nat'l Team:
      United States
      #5 Geneva, Aug 29, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 29, 2018

Dan, you're right, I'm appalled by Mr. Cordeiro, that was a telling moment. Off to send a protest email to soccer house. Represent us all and keep the politics (and especially the fascist war on the media) out of it.

(
      Have a question or concern? How about something you really like or something that you might not like so much? Let us know. We are always open to your feedback.

U.S. Soccer Federation
      1801 S. Prairie Ave.
      Chicago, IL 60616

Phone: (312) 808-1300
      Fax: (312) 808-1301
      communications@ussoccer.org
      )

5. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
      Spokane, WA
      Club:
      Seattle Sounders
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

I am sorta betwixt and between on this one. In the moment, Cordeiro was awed by power (Trump's and Infantino's), and just wanted to throw anything out that might brown nose. He wasn't trying to be partisan, he was trying to suck up. On the other hand, just being sociable would have been the better part. Now, should he have been cognizant that some of us who love soccer are appalled rather than awed by the power that those two men have? Should he have a non-partisan regard for the First Amendment? Yep.

Dempsey. Gotta love him. Once, on the Sounders forum, someone observed that Dempsey is kind of a jerk (we may have used less family friendly terms). Yeah, but you want him on your side. Even if that means you get moments like the Red Card Wedding in USOC, wherein the Sounders finished with like six or so against the dreaded Granola Tweakers, err, I mean the Dead Trees, err, I mean the highly esteemed rival Timbers, lowlighted by Deuce tearing up the ref's notebook. Besides, I'm kind of a jerk in my lesser moments. As for comparisons with others, they're all great. As Bill points out, McBride may be more the Osmonds than Snoop Dogg in his persona, but if he ain't tough AND talented, who is?.

Ismitje and barroldinho repped this.
    6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
      May 29, 2016
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

What an amazing parody. Not even Zurich could top that, Geneva.....

Bill Archer repped this.
    7. Stevie Blue

Stevie Blue Member

LA Galaxy
      United States
      Aug 10, 2018
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Wow, the world is a strange place these days. Everyone seems to just be waiting to be offended. It was just a funny comment move on and get offended that they haven't been able to find a coach.

TheJoeGreene, adi21, TJNash and 3 others repped this.
    8. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
      Warminster, Pa.
      Club:
      Philadelphia Union
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

FYP

AndyMead and Dan Loney repped this.
    9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
      Berlin
      Club:
      Union Berlin
      Nat'l Team:
      Germany

I admit I was never in the WH press corps (while in DC I was Pentagon, Congress and occassionally State), but I'm not quite sure that footie cards hold much actual power during a presser. I know this will seem blasphemous, but I do not believe two yellows, or even 450 reds, actually result in an ejection. I mean, really, they wouldn't really have any impact if "that guy" brought them to the Sunday morning kickaround.
      Honestly, I think the president could do with some toys to fiddle with during pressers. He seems so intensely unhappy, otherwise.
      I can see it now. He'd flash red cards. Mueller step forward and flash indictments. Oh how we'd all laugh at the hijinks.
      Also, a request for future pieces, when you write about Carlos Cordiero could you please include a paragraph or two explaining "who he is, what he does, why his actions/opnions should matter to anyone and, wait, again, who he is, I forgot during the course of that sentence.
      I realize that all that needs for evil to conquer is for good men to stand by and let FIFA (and it's minions) run rampant, but crikey they're a boring lot.

TheJoeGreene and barroldinho repped this.
    10. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
      Oakton,VA
      Club:
      DC United
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Well, I look at it this way. Maybe the U.S. patched up its business relationships with Mexico earlier this week and will probably resolve its trade issues with Canada later this week. So, hopefully the only reference to U.S. Soccer shortly is preparing for the united WC in 2026 and not whether or not someone was triggered by Cordeiro's comments.

Now, if you really want to have fun on a holiday weekend, reflect on how Infantino ended up in the position he is in.

barroldinho repped this.
    11. (They call him) RMc

Jun 1, 2013
      Club:
      Celtic FC

Wow, the world is a strange place these days. Everyone seems to just be waiting to be offended.

I'm so old I remember when criticizing the President automatically made you a racist. Now, it's considered your civic duty to do so.

adi21, TJNash, swoot and 3 others repped this.
    12. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
      Cincilluminati
      Club:
      Los Angeles Sol
      Nat'l Team:
      Philippines

I didn't say Dempsey was tougher than McBride, I said he was more talented. In fairness, I didn't say by how much, so, not a lot.

Although yeah, I could be shortchanging McBride here as well. Dempsey ran the trail McBride blazed. Would Dempsey have been the lone bright spot in the 1998 World Cup? Maybe. Would Dempsey have been the first Fulhamerican hero? Maybe. Would we have missed the World Cup if McBride had been playing? HELL NO. Yeah, I think you talked me into talking myself out of it

westcoast ape repped this.
    13. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
      Cincilluminati
      Club:
      Los Angeles Sol
      Nat'l Team:
      Philippines

Clearly I failed in my attempt at non-partisanship, but I swear I would have had the same reaction if it had been a Democratic president.

14. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
      United States
      Nov 30, 1998
      on the run from the covid
      Club:
      Seattle

I must be totally confused because I remember those 2008-2016 years as being when criticizing the President meant you were an actual left-winger.

westcoast ape repped this.
    15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
      May 29, 2016
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Ah, the beauties of the "non-exclusive or".............. ;)

Kejsare repped this.
    16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

Hmm. I think being sycophantic is part of the USSF President's job description, though in the grand scheme of all odious things FIFA, that probably ranks about 234th.

I can't get offended by this though. After all, it was a topical joke, albeit about an ongoing issue that many people resent. But how many of those people would have been prostrate at the altar of Cordeiro, if he'd instead grabbed the red card, brandished it at Trump and cheerfully declared "Look! I'm Robert Mueller!"?

17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
      Southern Cal
      Club:
      Los Angeles Galaxy
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Hmm, that would have been highly inappropriate of him, but you're right, I would have liked it better. :) Impudence to power, instead of sucking up.

18. DumFatAmerican

Manchester United
      Germany
      Jul 27, 2018

Why are their so many leftist soccer fans? You have to admit Trump is more charismatic than Obama. He has a good sense of humor.

Geneva repped this.
    19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
      May 29, 2016
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

It's all Galatasaray vs. Besiktas here on PoliFan BS.....

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
      Southern Cal
      Club:
      Los Angeles Galaxy
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

LOL! Funny. So, Trump looks a LOT younger in that video than he does today.

21. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
      Nov 5, 2004
      Denver or NOLA
      Club:
      Colorado Rapids
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

hair hasn't aged a day though.

Geneva repped this.
    22. Atomic Fury

Atomic Fury BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
      Pennsylvania
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

I wish everyone would just lighten up. Not anyone here specifically. I just mean the nation at large. I read so much guff that I get wound up at times.

Enjoy your every moment. You never know when the end will come.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
      VB, VA
      Club:
      DC United
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

I.....do not.

24. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
      Atlanta, GA

Nobody has ever accused me of being a leftist, and in no way would I agree with this.