US Soccer: Best Practices For Coaching Soccer in the United States

Discussion in 'Coach' started by The Greatest, Feb 18, 2006.

1. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
  2. SaprissaFC

SaprissaFC New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Read this manual guys. It is very helpful.

3. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    When I got my "F" or National Youth License, I got a book that had much of the same content except that it was focused only on the relatively younger levels. However, I don't think I've seen anything this comprehensive and as polished as this document.

For a really experienced coach who's got a couple of licenses, you probably won't find it earth shattering. But it is a great summary of much of what you'd already know. AND...if you're an experienced player new to coaching or you don't have a couple of licenses, you'll find a lot of the content to be eye-opening.

I will beg to differ with some of the advice in it. USSF material tends to consistently advocate playing kids in multiple positions so they can build confidence and de-emphasizing tactics at the lower levels. Generally I agree. But I think for a player to grow, the player must become more confident (and willing to take risks and be creative). I've seen plenty of players grow by defying this rule of switching positions. That's b/c some youth (not all, not even most, but some) gain the confidence to experiment by getting success at one position--giving them a chance to enjoy some personal wins. So, for some players it makes sense NOT to rotate initially--b/c the confidence they gain through having a limited focus allows them to expand their horizons.

But other than that bone to pick, I too agree that this is good material. I think every youth club should have a link to this report off of their website--just a really good reference for almost all youth soccer coaches.

4. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    I agree with you about this. We are being asked to take extremely young players who have difficulty understanding complex concepts - even in school - and require them to learn multiple positions. In that context, players worry more about the geography of the position than in making plays. I've had better success with young players by introducing them to one position at a time, concentrating on skills, vision, and aggression. Once they are comfortable they can learn new positions.

5. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
  6. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Please see my comments in the USA Youth and HS Soccer thread (and comment there). I noticed the "is it worth it to teach 1v1 moves" thread here had some indirectly related comments.

7. roy paul

roy paul New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Before evaluating the document the coach should ask these questions
    1.What style of play would we like our top team (USA NATIONAL TEAM) to play as a representation of our soccer culture and indirectly our culture and to be successful.
    eg The Brazilians,Argentinians,French,Dutch,Italians and Germans have their own style of play.
    2. What then are the tactical needs required to make that style of play successful
    3. What then are the types of players and skill level we need to allow the tactical base for our national style
    Then we develop the coaching methodology and coaches to make those insights available to any kid who wants to play our game.
    UNLESS YOU HAVE A CLEARLY DEFINED VISION THE REST IS MEANINGLESS

8. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    I would if the link on their page actually worked. :rolleyes::mad:

9. roy paul

roy paul New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Kev is right I,ve tried to download 2 times with no result

10. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    The whole site has been crippled for two days.

11. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Link works again. I just skimmed it...looks good.

12. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States